Thread: Overall Combined Weight Divisions

Blog Entries

Overall Combined Weight Divisions

Here is a SC grand champion overall combined weight division match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPNDbBm-7E

A 165 lb middle weight champ wrestles against a 240 lb super heavy weight champ. Since the grappling art is much safter to "test" than the striking art, this kind of match can be possible. I just don't think this kind of match can be possible or even allowed in the striking art. What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-05-2013 at 05:13 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think it's great for people to get in the habit of sparring and fighting outside of their weight class, and the one guy is excellent with the "shin block" or I believe you'd call it a "kick".

Blog Entries
    He also knows how to do "shaking" too at 1.32, 4.38.

A lot of the grappling styles do this over-all combined weight championships. And so did the early UFC and Vale Tudo. It's cool.

Check out Ciao Terra. The guy weighs like 130 lbs and beats everybody regardless of weight.

Greetings,

The description says that the big guy was not a shuai chiao guy. Why would they allow for that? Did they check to see if the guy knew how to fall properly?

Other than that, the winner looked as if he was just setting garbage out on the curb. Good Skills.

mickey

I fought Kyokushin ( and Vale tudo) when there were no weight limits or "limited" weight categories ( under 200 and over).
    Striking only VS a big guy sucks BUT you can make it work.
    Biggest guy I fought was a foot taller and 100lbs heavier.
    I think I still have the bruises.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

the general rule still applies 99% of the time

when you have two skilled guys, the bigger one wins
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Yep, reality 101.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

In my 20's, I once fought a GI that was 6'7' tall and fit. 6 tours in Vietnam. He picked me up and threw me around the room half a dozen times until he got bored. Thank GOD he decided not to hurt me.

Size is a huge advantage, as is strength, YET, who doesn't love watching Gracie choke out Okebono...!!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

It's good to spar out of your weight class, but when it comes to fighting...weight classes exist for a reason....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    I always liked to spar/wrestle with the biggest guy in my class. I assumed it could give me the most challenge. Oneday my teacher wanted me to spar/wrestle with a light weight guy. I didn't know why he wanted me to do that for until I found out that I had to move twice as fast to respond to my light weight opponent's attack. I then understood that to spar/wrestle with a big heavy guy may challenge my strength, but it did not challenge my "speed" enough.

Sometime the spar/wrestle is not just for "testing". It can be for both "developing" and "testing" at the same time. In the above example, it's also a "developing" for speed.

Oneday my teacher wanted me to spar/wrestle with a light weight guy. I didn't know why he wanted me to do that for until I found out that I had to move twice as fast to respond to my light weight opponent's attack. I then understood that to spar/wrestle with a big heavy guy may challenge my strength, but it did not challenge my "speed" enough.
    My nephew went through basic cadet training at Air Force Academy. When they did the pugil stick matches, they paired the biggest guy with the smallest. Then the next biggest and next smallest, and so on.

Nephew was the smallest, so was up first with the big guy. He had one chance to use his speed for a fast win. Everybody was surprised when he took out his opponent.

But he lost his 2nd match, with the next biggest guy, because they knew what to watch out for by then.

Here is a SC grand champion overall combined weight division match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPNDbBm-7E

A 165 lb middle weight champ wrestles against a 240 lb super heavy weight champ. Since the grappling art is much safter to "test" than the striking art, this kind of match can be possible. I just don't think this kind of match can be possible or even allowed in the striking art. What's your opinion on this?
    Excellent examples of how a skilled smaller guy can use footsweeps against a much larger, resisting opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    In my 20's, I once fought a GI that was 6'7' tall and fit. 6 tours in Vietnam. He picked me up and threw me around the room half a dozen times until he got bored. Thank GOD he decided not to hurt me.

Size is a huge advantage, as is strength, YET, who doesn't love watching Gracie choke out Okebono...!!
    Skill offsets size when the skill level difference as substantial.
    There is a reason that every sport combat system has weight categories though.