Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perfect Fighting Stance

头下
    屁股上

The first pattern in the first road of Gou Te Se's GangQuan 肛拳.

Keeping a static stance in a fight is something best left to 50 foot robots.

plant and move, plant and move.
    the best fighting stance is the one that facilitates mobility.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Best fighting stance is prone position aiming a 700PSS in .308 at your opponents center mass at about 100+ yards away without him/her knowing.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Best fighting stance is prone position aiming a 700PSS in .308 at your opponents center mass at about 100+ yards away without him/her knowing.
    well if you're gonna go that route, then best fighting stance is seated or upright with your finger poised over a big red button that will trigger nuclear destruction for your enemy, his family, all the people he knew, his neighbours, and everyone else within a 25km radius of the ass kicking.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    well if you're gonna go that route, then best fighting stance is seated or upright with your finger poised over a big red button that will trigger nuclear destruction for your enemy, his family, all the people he knew, his neighbours, and everyone else within a 25km radius of the ass kicking.
    ^^ This guys Wins!!

In all seriousness, there is no such thing as "the best fight stance" or "the best technique" if there was, it would be the only thing taught in Martial Arts and that would be it. Done, no arguments, no counters. Think about it. Why would anyone want teach/learn anything else. If you truly have a proven "best" out there.

Bottom line, its only "best" until someone figures out a counter or ups the ante (like in bringing a gun to a boxing match) There is a counter for everything. Its the execution that counts. And thus just keeps evolving from there.
    Last edited by xcakid; 07-11-2013 at 11:39 AM.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    "the best technique"... its only "best" until someone figures out a counter ...
    In order to counter something effectively, you will need "ability". Some "ability" is not that easy to develop. One day my teacher said, "Everything that I have taught you, if you try to use it on me, it won't work." I tried and he was right. Not only he was stronger than me, he would interrupt my move in the initial stage.

Sometime even if your opponent knows the counter, since his "ability" has not been developed at certain level, his counter won't work.

Here is an example. If this "eyebrow mopping" counter always works, nobody would train "head lock".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWI6P...ature=youtu.be

This is the ancient Chinese spear-shield contradiction. When you put a spear to against a shield, that spear may penetrate that shield. Also that spear may not be able to penetrate that shield.

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/5666/spearshield.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img826/5230/spearshield1.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

There is a counter for every action. This is where foresight becomes your friend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    There is a counter for every action. This is where foresight becomes your friend.
    If you know the counters, you can interrupt that counter before it gets full strength. In grappling, a quick shaking can destroy almost all counters.

When you get hold on your opponent's arm, if he tries to kick you, you shake him. If he tries to punch you, you shake him. If you are familiar with shaking but your opponent is not, you have advantage.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you know the counters, you can interrupt that counter before it gets full strength. In grappling, a quick shaking can destroy almost all counters.

When you get hold on your opponent's arm, if he tries to kick you, you shake him. If he tries to punch you, you shake him. If you are familiar with shaking but your opponent is not, you have advantage.
    You can take that on and on and on. If you know the counters of the counters of the counters....

My favorite memories in wrestling are the scrambles. Think fast, but not too fast. Don't get too far ahead of yourself and never think you are safe.

In order to counter something effectively, you will need "ability". Some "ability" is not that easy to develop. One day my teacher said, "Everything that I have taught you, if you try to use it on me, it won't work." I tried and he was right. Not only he was stronger than me, he would interrupt my move in the initial stage.
    If we are talking just straight up fighting within the martial arts confines, yes. However, in todays environment, escalation is the key. Ability can be compensated by other means, be it a technique catered to that ability, or weapons for instance, various underhanded tactics, etc. Although my example of shooting someone from 100+ yds was in done in jest, it is a viable tactic. Remember those VA sniper shootings a few years back, there wouldn't have been any martial artist that could've defended against that regardless of ability. Unfortunately that is the world we live in. You can romanticize martial arts, but lets face it, it stopped becoming the supreme means of defense/fighting once firearms was invented.

Practice your stance, practice your techniques, but one lapse in awareness and you are compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    You can take that on and on and on. If you know the counters of the counters of the counters....

My point exactly. Ability and your perfect technique can only take you so far.

In todays society, I use martial arts for fitness and as means to get to my weapon should an altercation happens. I am fortunate enough to live in a state that still recognizes the 2nd Amendment. Seriously, although I train and teach Long Fist, my main training focus is tactical shooting and Filipino martial arts specifically knife fighting.
    Last edited by xcakid; 07-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Perfect Fighting Stance

IMO, there is no "perfect" fighting stance. If you have

- square stance (both legs parallel with your chest facing 90 degree to your opponent), your opponent can attack "double legs" (get both if you can).

- side stance (one leg forward one leg backward), your opponent can attack that "single leg" (if you can't get both, get 1 after another).

- forward leaning legs back parallel stance (also square stance like most wrestlers use), your opponent can drag your head down to the ground (if you want to lean forward, your opponent can help you to lean forward more than you want to).

- legs closer to each other, your opponent can sweep your leg from outsid in (to make your legs closer than you want to).

- legs apart from each other, your opponent can spring your leg from inside out (to make your legs to separate apart more than you want to).

- weight on your leading leg, your opponent can sweep your leading leg.

- weight on your back leg, your opponent can scoop your leading leg.

No matter how you may stand, your weakness is always the 90 degree angle through your chest. If you use

- square stance, your weakness is forward-backward.
    - side stance, your weakness is sideway.

It's not how you stance but whether you know your weakness and how to "react from" it. If you know how to do that, you can stand in anyway that you want to.

What's your opinion on this?
    YouKnowWho , to me you choose the stance that ' s right for you , because the opponent can be unpredictable , he can attack you in many different ways , so it ' s really up to you to be aware of those attacks the opponent can deliver to you . There is no perfect stance , your opponent is just going to attack you , and you just have to react to it , the best way you can .