Thread: HFY Three Bong Sao Chi Sao Workshop, July 2013

HFY Three Bong Sao Chi Sao Workshop, July 2013

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung fu Association event
    HFY Three Bong Sao Chi Sao Workshop, July 2013

Grandmaster Garrett Gee

Featured will be Grand Master Garrett Gee with explanations of the
    HFY Center Line Theory, HFY Five Line Theory, and HFY Box Theory.
    Come learn and experience how these time zones influence the choice of 3 HFY Bong Sao:
    Hok Bong Sao (鶴膀手), Ying Bong Sao (鷹膀手), Laan Bong Sao (攔膀手).
    Grandmaster Garrett Gee will highlight the various scientific, pragmatic, and combative functions of each of these three tools through its basis in Time Space and Energy.

Sifu Mark Jones will host a public workshop on July 19th, 20th & 21st 2013 at the Phoenix, Arizona Hung Fa Kwoon.

Video link: Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Siu Nim Tau ( 3 ) 紅花義詠春派小念頭
    A demonstration of the three Bong Sao within the HFY Siu Nim Tao Advanced Form, as performed by HFY representative Bruce Stanberry.

The following is the itinerary for the upcoming HFY Workshop:

Friday 19th July
    7pm – 11pm Instructor Training

Saturday 20th July
    9am – 5pm Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Chi Sau Workshop
    7-pm - 11pm Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Instructor Training

Sunday 21st July
    9am – 12pm – Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Instructor Training

Cost:
    Members $100
    Non Members $150

To register or inquire, please contact:
    Sifu Mark Jones
    Southwest Regional Director
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
    Tempe AZ 85284 USA
    (480) 820-2428
    sifujones@hfyofarizona.com
    www.hfyofarizona.com

To all:
    We welcome your attendance at the next Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Workshop in Tempe, AZ with Grandmaster Gee.
    To help with workshop expenses our organization’s members are happy to provide transport to and from the airport, hotels and the workshop.
    Please view the schedule and list of nearby hotels below.

Hotels nearest the Workshop and local entertainment:

Windmill Suites at Chandler Fashion Center
    3535 W Chandler, Blvd.
    Chandler, AZ 85226
    (480) 812-9600
    3.7 miles South of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona; ~ 9minutes
    Windmill Suites

Residence Inn Phoenix Chandler Fashion Center
    200 North Federal Street
    Chandler, Arizona 85226
    (480) 782-1551
    4.0 miles South of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona; ~ 6 minutes
    Marriot/Residence Inn Phoenix Chandler Fashion Center

Hilton Phoenix Chandler
    2929 W Frye Road
    Chandler, AZ 85224
    (480) 899-7400
    4.5 miles South of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona; ~ 8 minutes
    Hilton Phoenix/Chandler
    Last edited by Savi; 07-11-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Some recent impressions of HFY Tien Yan Dei Chi Sao from HFY student Billy Lau:

My Personal Learning Experience from Grandmaster Garrett Gee.
    Subject: Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Tin Yan Dei Chi Sao System being born.

After a little over 22 years of being a martial artist, many of my students, close friends, family and even my wife ask me from time to time, "Billy, why do you continue to learn, train, teach and get so wholeheartedly preaching passionately about Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System?". It seems as though a good dinner party never goes unnoticed about me talking nothing except Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu. This is a very good question and to answer this question we must first examine my history, personal experience and involvement with the World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association (WHFYWCKFA). First of all, I am very very fortunate to be able to be accepted as a student of our Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee. It is not easy to be accepted as a student as I know my Sihing Alex once have witnessed with his own eyes within the first year of following Sifu Garrett Gee rejecting more than 40 student applicants coming to his studio.

Through the last 10 years training with our Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee I witnessed and many others have also witnessed that on many occassions we are visited by numerous genuine martial artists around the world coming from many different backgrounds, some who are already certified masters in their respective arts of Jujitsu, Takwondo, Wing Chun, Karate, Kickboxing, MMA, Thaiboxing, and other animal style Kung Fu backgrounds. One such example is Michael G who have been certified as a Wing Chun Sifu learning more than 6 years from another lineage after a 2 hour session with Grandmaster Garrett Gee was willing to sacrafice his Sifu status in hopes to become a regular student of Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee. Why would a certified Wing Chun Sifu do this? He had driven from Sacramento to San Francisco continuously over 4 months once a week every Saturday only to find another rejection from Sifu Garrett Gee. And finally through his dedication was accepted as a Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun student. I have seen with my own eyes, when a genuine martial artist is introduced to Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee, he always ask their point of view about martial arts and their respective native arts. Every martial artist seems to have a different perspective of how their art is most effective and the differences it compares at the beginning of the conversation, but time and time again I see once anyone has a deep conversation with our Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee, and experience for themselves our Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System, everyone at the end of the training session would very humbly agree with Sifu Gee that yes, their so called technique oriented style may be effective but when speaking about "Maxium Efficiency", there are deficiency and only personal interpretation in their art. But in Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu, we follow stringent guidelines from concept to theory to principles and philosophies we must follow otherwise we violate what is true and cannot attain maximum efficiency.

I am most appreciative of Grandmaster Sifu Garrettt Gee for sharing his valuable teachings today with me dealing with Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Tin Yan Dei Chi Sao System. This Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Tin Yan Dei Chi Sao System consists of 1) Tan Bong Fook Chi Sao, 2) Kiu Sao Chi Sao, and 3) Chi Kiu Chi Sao expansively demonstrated by Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee. Our Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu is very unique in the sence that we have 2 Categories of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Formulas. The first Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun formula category emphasizes on 1) Sup Ming Dim, 2) two line Jong Sao, and 3) 5 Line theory. The second Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun advanced formula category emphasizes on 6 categories of Tin Yan Dei concept. Clarification on the fact that our unique Hung Fa Yi Chi Sao System refers to Tin Yan Dei differently than most animal style Kung Fu who deciphers it as, "Kicking Range, Punching Range and Grappling Range". Though similar in the terminoloy of Tin Yan Dei, it is two completely different things by which we have our extremely Unique Core Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Chi Sao System which encompass 3 Timezones: 1) 5 line theory Timezone 2) Box Theories Timezone and 3) 4 gate and 6 Gate Timezones. Today, Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee continues to open my eyes and have confirmed on a concrete level of understanding of why in the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Tin Yan Dei Chi Sao System, "there is nothing to add and nothing to subtract", there is simply no room for self interpretation.

I have been in both the Yip Man Wing Chun lineage and Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun System learning from Grandmaster Garrett Gee and continue to train and learn Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun privately up to date. I've witnessed both from Yip man lineage Chi Sao teachings, browsed many thousands of youtube videos on Wing Chun Chi Sao from all over the world and have never in my life heard the theories driven by principles and concepts so unique regarding Hung Fa Yi Tin Yan Dei Chi Sao System in such thoroughness as presented by Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee. So suddenly for the first time in my life I can see clearly and finally realize why there is a big "HUGE" difference between animal style Kung Fu and other systems who deal with outside the box concepts who can only demontrate effectiveness but never able to prove maximum efficiency. No word can truely express the excitement the experience the true art that I witnessed and so blessed with a shining light the path in which have been taken. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee for showing me such a beautiful art the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System.

Billy Lau

The attached image shows historical photos taken during the 1970's in San Francisco, when Grandmaster Garrett Gee (early 20's) was teaching daily kung fu classes at the Nob Hill school location.

I would like to provide everyone with a brief update. The latest HFY workshop held in AZ had a tremendous impact on the approx two dozen attendees and from the feedback it was also very successful. More will be shared later on this matter.

All workshops for the remainder of the year will focus on skill development in HFY's Chi Sao methods, with the next one occurring in Modesto, CA in August. This one will be hosted by Sifu Billy Lau of HFY. More information to follow as well.

Regards,
    Savi.
    Last edited by Savi; 09-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have no direct experience of the system but would like to.

A couple of questions though?

How come he was teaching it when he was 21? Also What influence did his Fu style martial arts and other styles have an impact on the HFY development.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Hello Paul, I think those are some great questions! Perhaps you will make one of our public events in the future? First you asked:
    How come he was teaching it when he was 21?
    Actually, he was teaching earlier than that. It began shortly after Grandmaster Gee arrived in the USA early in 1975. Here is the story of his first public fight in San Francisco as well as a resulting cordial challenge from another martial artist a few months later(copied/pasted from hfy108.com):

Garrett Gee, a young Chinese martial artist, arrived in San Francisco the first week of January of 1975 at the age of 18. During his first month he experienced his first public challenge when 3 street gangsters confronted and attacked him on Union Street in front of the Metro Theater in the early morning hours. The fight didn’t last more than a couple of minutes with all combatants on the ground. The news of this fight spread through Chinatown and it was less than three months later when Garrett Gee was challenged to a friendly sparring match with one of the southern praying mantis style fighter, Wilson Lee, who was trained in Hong Kong.*It was evident that Garrett Gee’s skills far surpassed those of Wilson’s.*Wilson recognized that the Wing Chun that Sifu Gee used against him was very different from what he had seen in Hong Kong and asked Garrett Gee to teach him Hung Suen Wing Chun. It was at this early age of 19 that Sifu Gee began teaching in San Francisco.

Then for your second question:
    Also What influence did his Fu style martial arts and other styles have an impact on the HFY development.
    Well Grandmaster Gee’s kung fu background includes Wudong Kung Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu, and Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu. With such an expansive education in the traditional martial arts spanning the course of his life, he has truly intimate knowledge of how martial arts work. He can walk and talk both sides of the coin, and do so at a very professional level. The difference between animal style-based Tien Yan Dei and Wing Chun-based Tien Yan Dei is so clean cut there is no mistaking it and no confusing it once it is learned. Once you see it and can recognize it, it is pretty easy to identify its signature/characteristics. Ultimately due to Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun’s immense levels of scientific sophistication on each and every layer of the art, it truly stands on its own grounds.

I recently did an interview with Wing Chun Geeks which can be found online here: http://wingchungeeks.com/hung-fa-yi/ and hopefully you will find the information helpful on the matter. There, you will find a lot of information regarding the people and history of HFY’s heritage and more technical information about the art like HFY’s two core formulas of Time Space and Energy and Chi Sao for example.

And attached here are a couple of personal photos of his from the 90's.

Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Heaven, Human and Earth (Tin Yan Dei) Chi Sao Experience

Hello all,
    The following was written and shared with the public by Sifu Billy Lau, which all who will be attending the August 19th workshop in Patterson/Modesto/Turlock area of CA can expect to experience!

Today I just went through another Chi Sao experience with Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Chi Sao System training with Grandmaster Garrett Gee. Hung Fa Yi Chi Sao have so much detail and emphasis on measurements and angulations primarily dealing with Tin Yan Dei technology very different in training method. The Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun System have also 3 types of Bong Sao, all other Wing Chun communities in the world all over Youtube and all over many Kung Fu Forums always talk about debates whether they should do Bong Sao with bending wrist, straight wrist, or why they should do it this way or that way is a total personal interpretation without the existence of occupying time and space concept in applying Tin Yan Dei format.

1990's photo of HFY training with Grandmaster Garrett Gee

To some, Chi Sao and Sparring is two separate things by which Chi Sao is a training method for sensitivity and sparring completely different than Chi Sao. I realize that while watching over hundreds of masters and thousands of videos of so called Wing Chun against other system sparring videos why their Chi Sao training no longer apply and lose the essence of the Wing Chun signature and suddenly every Wing Chun fighter looks no different than an MMA fighter, boxer or San Da practitioner. In Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun, we train exactly the same format as if we are sparring or fighting which is no different than our training. We train the way we fight and Chi Sao and Sparring is both sides of the same coin by which goes hand in hand. When we do Chi Sao and when we do Sparring is the same thing and should hold the signature that looks alike. One should look like a Wing Chun fighter while sparring exactly the way they train. I realize I no longer look at Chi Sao as a technique because HFY is much more complicated. Today's training experience is completely unique to me in that it open up a whole new world for me identifying why Hung Fa Yi's Tin Yan Dei so unique where it carries the essence of Wing Chun.

Chuck's another experienced Chi Sim Weng Chun practitioner from Hong Kong. His uncle has 30 years experience in the Chi Sim Wing system and is a disciple of the Chi Sim Wing Chun Grandmaster Wai Yan. Chuck has the Chi Sim Tin Yan Dei similar to animal style kung fu in which does kicking, punching and grappling range concepts and after learning the difference of Hung Fa Yi Tin Yan Dei technology shared by Grandmaster Garrett Gee can appreciate that the Hung Fa Yi Tin Yan Dei is very different and much more sophisticated with in depth knowledge of occupying time and space in many different time zones that trigger different responses.

I am very happy and excited to have the first Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Chi Sao Seminar coming up in August 19th at our Central Valley club in Patterson/Modesto/Turlock presenting Grandmaster Garrett Gee with many details of our 3 Bong Sao technology in Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Tin Yan Dei Time Space and Energy training. I advise anyone who is interested to register and come to attend our workshop for a whole different Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun experience.
    Last edited by Savi; 09-21-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Good evening,

Most recently HFY Sifu Billy Lau shared a new update on his FB page. Sifu Lau took the time to share with everyone some great insights about our Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee's life as well as the culture he comes from. An excerpt follows below:

What is Honor and the true Spirit behind a true Kung Fu Master?
    ~based on my personal learning experience, Sifu Billy Lau

I first would like to give thanks to Sifu Grandmaster Garrett Gee for a wonderful training session on Wednesday morning August 28th, 2013 this past week as we trained rigorously for several hours at the St. Mary’s Square park near San Francisco Chinatown in California. I am personally extremely grateful and appreciate the dedication coming from an authentic Grandmaster offering this type of personalized old Kung Fu tradition of Hou Cheun Sun Sou passing on the art of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen. While we continued to train, I had the fortunate opportunity to have met Richard Ng who was just walking through the park and happens to be an old timer acquaintance of Sifu Gee. Richard Ng had practiced nearly 30+ years in the art of Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu and has known Sifu Gee back in the 1970’s when Sifu Gee first taught in the Chinatown location. Richard Ng ended up sparring with me while we were practicing and even though he was much taller than I with better physique, I was able to utilize the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Jeet Kiu and Sam Ton Dai Gai on three range interceptions against his Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu. So suddenly I realized the beauty once again of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System of how clear it is that no matter what type of martial arts people learn for extended periods of time, once they utilize outside the box concepts in combat, they violate the true harmony of nature’s Time Space and Energy existence and fall into the category of power, muscle and speed training maneuvering in and out trying to land a lucky punch or strike against me. The advantages we uphold with the unique Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu structure, Sup Ming Dim, Bai Jong, Jeet Kiu and Sam Ton Dai Gai including 3 range execution of Jun Ging and Ton Ging was enough for me to mitigate all incoming blows while kicking him once in the knee knocking him unstable and pushing him back several times with Ng Mui Ying Jong Faat. Richard was a good sport and even though he has trained more than 30+ years ago and has met Sifu Gee back in the 1970‘s, he never had the opportunity to experience Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu in the past. It is his “Fate”, that after he experienced the sparring match today and personally seeing how Sifu Gee trains me privately, he strongly identify the uniqueness of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System and even though he has 30 something years experience under his belt from another Kung Fu Style, he requested to train with Sifu Gee and I every Wednesdays and learn the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System.
    Excellent work Sifu Lau for carrying forward the excellence of HFYWCK honorably and respectfully! Sifu Lau is a fine example to follow in showmanship and character.

Grandmaster Garrett Gee, current lineage holder of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen

Grandmaster Garrett Gee started training many well known family Kung Fu styles at the age of 5 and is currently one of the very few individual Grandmasters that carry over 40 full Kung Fu forms, styles and systems in depth with an emphasis in our Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System. Sifu Grandmaster Garrett Gee’s also the 33 generational descendant of one of the most important philosophers from the Song dynasty in China history called Zhu Xi. His ancestral bloodline traces directly back to Zhu Xi which according to Life Magazine in a publication to have announced Zhu Xi as one of the 45th most important and influential persons to have existed in the last one thousand years. Spanning from Zhu Xi’s teachings from over 100 written books and publications which have influenced the world‘s cultural developments around the globe. Sifu Gee recalls from his grandfather’s times where his grandfather had 4 bodyguards everywhere he goes, and has lots of money and wealth. Sifu Gee’s father Grandmaster Peter Kim Ho Chu was also a famous and well respected Wu Dang master and instructor with 40 years teaching experience. During the pre-1975’s, before Sifu Gee’s family came to America, Grandmaster Peter Kim Ho Chu was asked by a famous Hong Kong film producer to sign a contract to join the Hong Kong film industry and to film Peter Chu’s Wu Dang Kung Fu style in movies. However, due to deciding to come to the United States, Peter Chu declined the deal. That’s why in Hong Kong film industry you can only see Director Lau Kar Leung’s Hung Kuen and Jackie Chan’s films which influenced the flourish of Kung Fu films to the modern day. Otherwise, we might see more Wu Dang style influence into Hong Kong’s film cinema. This was after Bruce Lee’s death and before Jackie Chan was even famous. After coming to America, we can see the strong friendship ties between the Bruce Lee family and Sifu Garrett Gee’s family. On many occasions, even Bruce Lee’s mother Gracie Lee is a very good friend of Peter Chu. She has always admired Peter Chu’s Wu Tang Kung Fu, she even said when her grandson Brandon Lee grow’s older she’d like Brandon to learn from Sifu Gee’s Father Peter Chu. Every time Gracie Lee comes over from Seattle to visit San Francisco, they would make a special trip to meet with Sifu Gee’s family and Peter Chu.
    Not too many personal accounts like this are public knowledge, yet bring some pretty intriguing insights about the closeness of the Lee family to Grandmaster Gee's family. The rich heritage of Grandmaster Garrett Gee speaks volumes and is reflected in his teachings.

4th Generation Lineage holder of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Paai, Hung Gun Biu

We go from very famous family backgrounds and ties to the modern day Grandmaster Garrett Gee, who lives very humbly merging himself into society without the fortune and fame that he could have gotten. To Sifu Gee, that form of thriving for only money and fame has no meaning in itself and is a very low form of spirituality. But rather the highest form of Spirit of a Lineage Holder is to preserve the core essence of such unique kung fu system and pass it on completely to a few genuine and true disciples who will carry on the same missions sworn oath of the legacy that in which we call the “Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System”. Looking back in 1975 when our Grandmaster Sifu Garrett Gee was teaching in the Chinatown Circuit, he had already identified early on what it means to be a Lineage Holder. The highest Spirit that encompasses the requirement and responsibility to not be corrupted by fame and fortune selling out the art to anyone who wishes to purchase it. In Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu we have what we call Hou Cheun Sun Sow, meaning the art must be past through one on one through the word of the mouth and experienced through the daily training of the body karma passed on to someone who is genuine and does not utilize Kung Fu as a “Get-Rich-Scheme” to scam others for profit. As I look around in the martial arts realm of many masters and grandmasters of many different arts or disciplines, the primary objective of such so called grandmasters is for them chasing after money, fame, and produce massive dvd collections of their so called masterpiece or art. I know for a fact that after learning 22 years of collective Wing Chun experience that it is silly for anyone who believes they can learn such sophisticated art such as Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun through a video tape or DVD recording. You must have professional guidance and teachings from an authentic grandmaster.
    The full write up on what he has shared can be found here: HFY Sifu Billy Lau (I believe you must be logged into FB and/or be listed as his friend to view his page.)

There are many things he touches upon so I highly recommend it if you are driven by deeper essences of kung fu.
    Last edited by Savi; 09-21-2013 at 05:11 PM.

The next upcoming HFY Chi Sao Workshop is just over one month away on the weekend of October 11th. Here is the information for the event:

This workshop is a must attend event for any serious HFY Wing Chun practitioner and will focus on understanding the 3 key HFY time zones (gate, 5 line and In-Out box), supported by 6 categories of HFY Tien Yan Dei (heaven,human,earth) concept which are critical to the HFY Chi Sau training platform and in turn for completing the HFY Siu Nim Tau level of knowledge. Emphasis will be on practical drilling of the correct use of the 3 HFY Ying, Hok and Lan Bong Sau's as dictated by time and space considerations.

By the end of the training session the HFY student will have learnt or at least have a deep appreciation for the difference between the HFY time, space and energy Chi Sau training in comparison to a purely reflex/sensitivity Chi sau type drilling. This is the key material which will enable the HFY student to identify the difference between the HFY definition of Chi sau and Sparring, of "when to stick and when to hit" and answer for themselves the question of "Is Chi sau a sensitivity drill or for fighting"

Moving through the HFY System is not as simple as learning the forms, instead the important concepts mentioned above must be fully understood in both mind and body before graduating the Siu Nim Tau level and progressing to Chum Kiu in the HFY Wing Chun System.

For More info call

Sifu Mark Jones
    480-820-2428

Please mention "Grand Master Gee's HFY Chi Sau Workshop" in your message. Thanks.

Schedule:

Friday, Oct 11
    7pm – 11pm
    Private Instructor Training

Saturday, Oct 12
    9am – 5pm
    Public Workshop

7-pm - 11pm

Sunday, Oct 13
    9am – 12pm

As we are approaching the next Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen workshop scheduled for the weekend of October 11th at the Tempe, AZ Hung Fa Kwoon, I would like to offer a brief insight into the upcoming topic for the event. Grandmaster Garrett Gee will be presenting a broad range of items to examine. Among those is HFY’s Kuen Kuit: “Tien Yan Dei Saam Taan Dai Gai”, which is mentioned in the quote from Sifu Billy Lau from post #7:

Richard Ng ended up sparring with me while we were practicing and even though he was much taller than I with better physique, I was able to utilize the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Jeet Kiu and Sam Ton Dai Gai on three range interceptions against his Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu. So suddenly I realized the beauty once again of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu System of how clear it is that no matter what type of martial arts people learn for extended periods of time, once they utilize outside the box concepts in combat, they violate the true harmony of nature’s Time Space and Energy existence and fall into the category of power, muscle and speed training maneuvering in and out trying to land a lucky punch or strike against me. The advantages we uphold with the unique Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu structure, Sup Ming Dim, Bai Jong, Jeet Kiu and Sam Ton Dai Gai including 3 range execution of Jun Ging and Ton Ging was enough for me to mitigate all incoming blows while kicking him once in the knee knocking him unstable and pushing him back several times with Ng Mui Ying Jong Faat.
    How do Chi Sao and Sparring go hand in hand? How does Chi Sao apply to fighting, and how does fighting apply to Chi Sao? Can you truly articulate it in technical and scientific way? This type of questioning will be addressed by examining how the science of the HFY system point us to the realities of both Chi Sao and sparring in relation to the idea of Time/Space/Energy, Maximum Efficiency, and [actual] combat. Grandmaster Garrett Gee once explained the relationship of Chi Sao vs Sparring in this way:

”Some people say that abc is this way, and xyz is that way. One way is the head side of the coin. The other way is the tail side of the coin. For each way, the coin only shows one side when flat on the table. In HFY, we flip the coin in the air and see both sides!” – GM Garrett Gee
    Those who are attending may anticipate an in-depth and experience-based weekend of how various facets of the HFY art can interface together to achieve Maximum Efficiency at all times. We will examine how Chi Sao and sparring are essentially two sides of the same coin (wherein Chi Sao is combat and Sparring is combat) by applying HFY’s Tien Yan Dei formula/technology (checkpoint system) in conjunction with the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Formula (reference point system) that is shown in the attached image.

The workshop participants should gain a more sophisticated understanding of:

1. How HFY’s Line Theories, Box Theories, and Gate Theories, are fundamental to fully express HFY Wing Chun.
    2. When it is necessary to Chi Sao and what is its purpose
    3. The relationship of Chi Sao and Sparring, and how/when to go from one to the other
    4. Why one’s (3) Bong Sao responses to HFY Time Zones are predicated upon the application of HFY’s reference points and checkpoints systems within the context of Time and Space.

The training will span 3 days, and as has become tradition over the years, each day goes for many long hours of hard work! Without fail, Grandmaster Gee always covers any and all aspects of history, philosophy, culture, and combat! Regardless of your experience level and background, you will come out of the workshop with something very genuine and unique. The date is coming fast and I hope that people here are able to attend, lurkers and posters alike!
    Last edited by Savi; 09-12-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Good day to you all, readers and posters.

With less than two weeks to go for the start of the next public HFY Chi Sao workshop happening at the Tempe, AZ Hung Fa Kwoon, I would like to extend the invitation to all AZ locals and anybody willing to travel to this event. This is a great opportunity to meet Grandmaster Garrett Gee personally who is the main speaker for the workshop. I encourage everyone to directly experience his scientifically fascinating teaching methods of HFY Wing Chun and the inner workings of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Chi Sao, hear about his extensive knowledge on history, Eastern philosophy, culture and traditions, and how it all ties together into our very actions!

Recently, GM Garrett Gee shared this over on FB:

“Some 20 years ago my father (Peter Kim Ho Chu) and I were major editorial contributors on traditional kung fu for the Chinese Times newspaper in San Francisco. Now in this present day I am continuing this passion as the pioneer and founder of the Kung Fu Tong, along with Richard Loewehagen as a senior member plus several professional martial artists of the Kung Fu Tong Research Team. Today I am presenting fascinating aspects from the Boxer Society culture of the mid 1800’s through these new artworks. There will be many more artifacts like these to come and from many different areas to be shared with the wonderful community.”
    The Kung Fu Tong had been a conceptual project several years in the making. Now it is a research vessel that will preserve the multitude of gems of our community’s history for future generations. Credit to each source will be cited and shall be publicly presented through various forms of media. KFT will run the gamut to include martial arts, historical artifacts and knowledge, cultures and traditions, philosophies, people, and their contributions to society (for some examples). During the upcoming HFY Chi Sao workshop, GM Garrett Gee is planning to share much more of his vision with those in attendance! Please contact Sifu Mark Jones to make your registration.

The pictures he shared are attached below (the larger versions can be found on his FB page). Enjoy!
    Last edited by Savi; 09-29-2013 at 09:00 AM.