Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takedown Defence

Quote Originally Posted by RisingCrane View Post
    Just a quick video I uploaded today to explain when to use your horse and when to sprawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNChQl017sQ
    I like it. Have used same technique a time or two. But yeah, if a wrestler gets a hold of you, a sprawl is the way to go. Even then, as you said, if he is faster, you are going to the ground.

One criticism though, you said horse stance, in actuality you are not using Ma-Bu as one of your feet is point at the opponent and your hips are at a 45 degree angle. You are in fact in Sì Liù bù, not Ma bu
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    bad shot with no penetration or setup
    which is what that defense is used for, you have wrestled i believe?
    they teach the standard defenses as hand, head, arm then hipships depennding on distance, and its the same here someone shoots from outside range (which happens in MMA all the time) you use this defense as it allows you to stay mobile, if they are closer and still high you use double underhooks, and if its a good wrestling shot you sprawl...

or do you sprawl on evry single takedown defense??

It's a good clip.
    It shows how to deal with a "beginner" takedown ( too far out, no set-up, etc) and also how to deal with a more "tricky" one.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    which is what that defense is used for, you have wrestled i believe?
    they teach the standard defenses as hand, head, arm then hipships depennding on distance, and its the same here someone shoots from outside range (which happens in MMA all the time) you use this defense as it allows you to stay mobile, if they are closer and still high you use double underhooks, and if its a good wrestling shot you sprawl...

or do you sprawl on evry single takedown defense??
    he is my kung fu brother, I will be frank with him like a man.

im not gonna be polite and lick rising cranes anoos and compliment him, then turn around and mock him when he loses face in a real fight. delete the video, redo one with good takedown and underhooks. kung fu is not known to be effective. zero tolerance. you must show perfect or don't do it.

a lot of kung fu people are like wild dogs. they don't know anything because they haven't had a good beating. when they get a lesson that they never forget, then they become tame, be good boy, then every time demonstrate technique will be perfect.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    That clip did not cover the defense against this kind of "single leg".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-hlniEKyk
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-13-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

im not gonna be polite and lick rising cranes anoos and compliment him, then turn around and mock him when he loses face in a real fight. delete the video, redo one with good takedown and underhooks. kung fu is not known to be effective. zero tolerance. you must show perfect or don't do it.

a lot of kung fu people are like wild dogs. they don't know anything because they haven't had a good beating. when they get a lesson that they never forget, then they become tame, be good boy, then every time demonstrate technique will be perfect.
    pit up or shut up

put up or shut up .there are givers and takers.which one are
    you
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 07-13-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    put up or shut up .there are givers and takers.which one are
    you
    are you challenging me?

Thanks,mang. I'm cry tear. :')

delete the video, redo one with good takedown and underhooks. kung fu is not known to be effective. zero tolerance. you must show perfect or don't do it.
    I take your point, but I was showing counters, not set ups. The truth is if my opponent did a good job of set up and penetration, the takedown would work!
    I don't have anything perfect to put up. It is all a 'work in progress'. EVERYTHING works if your opponent is expecting something else. NOTHING works if your opponent is expecting it. I am sharing some stuff I have used successfully in sparring against pretty good guys. Take it for what it is: I'm no UFC champion, nor am I pretending to be. Out art evolves by sharing and each person can add a little something, make it more effective and test it out in sparring or better, competition.
    A lot of what my Sifu told me years ago is only now making sense to me in light of my own experience. I am not a 'tough guy'- I did not have lots of street fights or challenge matches. Because of this I later decided I was missing an important developmental stage in my Kung Fu. To rectify that I have gone to MMA camps, no gi classes, weapon sparring classes etc. I have taught my students from that experience and many of them are doing well in MMA competitions, so I believe I am doing something right.

ok...Losing is how we learn. I try to lose intelligently: Instead of the consequence being a curb stomp or a broken arm, I put myself in environments where there is a safety factor, matts, padded walls etc. The consequence is I tap out, or get hit with a glove. I analyse what happened and retry. There is no need to be beaten like a dog in this day and age. Because of that I can loose 100 times without injury and reap the benefits of the experience so in a real situation I am more likely to prevail.
    I am not going to be a 'good boy' for anybody. I do respect everybody, though.

That clip did not cover the defense against this kind of "single leg".
    No it didn't. Thanks for sharing that. What counter do you recommend for this type of takedown?

One criticism though, you said horse stance, in actuality you are not using Ma-Bu as one of your feet is point at the opponent and your hips are at a 45 degree angle. You are in fact in Sì Liù bù, not Ma bu
    You are quite correct! I was using 'horse' in the generic sense. This is important, because if your front foot is turned in, you will not be able to sprawl effectively if necessary, and you will eat a lot of leg kicks, too. The 6-4 stance is my default fighting stance.

One thing to 'toe in' step IS good for, is quick retreat. For example: In shuttle runs, you would always toe-in step to change direction. If you are using a probe in/out type of strategy, the toe in stance can be good method, but if you are stationary, you will be easy to 'single leg'.

Peace

I believe you'll need to log into facebook to see this vid, but the very first move is sumi gaeshi https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater which I've always believed, and used, as a good counter for when you f*ck up and they get the lift on the single leg, but didn't follow through hard enough to get you down on the initial leg pick.

I have used the sumi gaeshi often against a single attempt in bjj, and have had good success with it. I even leave my lead leg out to bait guys sometimes. I have a few class mates that will leave there lead leg to invite the single, and take the back off the single attempt. I am not as good with that one, but have pulled it off.

To rectify that I have gone to MMA camps, no gi classes, weapon sparring classes etc. I have taught my students from that experience and many of them are doing well in MMA competitions, so I believe I am doing something right.
    thx for making it clear mang u r have honer

Blog Entries
    What counter do you recommend for this type of takedown?
    Sorry that I didn't see your question until today. A "抹脖(Ma Bo) - downward palm strike on the back of your opponent's neck" can be a good counter if you can borrow your opponent's forward momentum.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument