Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takedown Defence

Wink Takedown Defence

Just a quick video I uploaded today to explain when to use your horse and when to sprawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNChQl017sQ

Nice video, I've subscribed and watched nearly all of your content.

I like the use of the forearms as a level matching wall of sorts, we do a lot of the same in our Hung training.
    -Golden Arms-

Thumbs up Take Down Defense

Excellent. Well done!

your video is useless

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    your video is useless
    Constructive and wise as always.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries
    This clip remind me a Judo guy grabs on your jacket and you keep punching on his head.

The wrestling "single leg" may work well in a non-striking environment. When striking is allowed, it's just too risky.

When you try to use "both" hands to get your opponent's leading leg, since both of your opponent's hands are free, you have to take a lot of unnecessary risk. If you use just one hand to take your opponent's leading leg and, use your other hand to deal with his arms, you can reduce your risk much more.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This clip remind me a Judo guy grabs on your jacket and you keep punching on his head.

The wrestling "single leg" may work well in a non-striking environment. When striking is allow, it's just too risky.

When you try to use "both" hands to get your opponent's leading leg, since both of your opponent's hands are free, you have to take a lot of unnecessary risk. If you use just one hand to take your opponent's leading and, use your other hand to deal with his arms, you can reduce your risk to the minimum.
    depends how fast you turn the corner. If you can get in and down quick, it's not so bad. I prefer doubles and sweeps from the clinch for myself, but I've seen some pretty nasty singles on the mat, in the ring and on the street.

But I hear you. If you plan to stay there any length of time, you will get hit. Like they say, you can turn a black belt into a white belt with one punch.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

The wrestling "single leg" may work well in a non-striking environment. When striking is allowed, it's just too risky.

When you try to use "both" hands to get your opponent's leading leg, since both of your opponent's hands are free, you have to take a lot of unnecessary risk. If you use just one hand to take your opponent's leading leg and, use your other hand to deal with his arms, you can reduce your risk much more.
    longfist fakes overhand to make u block then take down. this is called divine fist

faking a takedown to make u sprawl then punch is called king raise cauldron

longfist fakes overhand to make u block then take down. this is called divine fist

The names we use in sanda are boring. Sanda coaches should start using awesome names like these.

Blog Entries

You can also use both palms to uplift your opponent's elbows before dive in.

You have 3 options to get your opponent's leading leg:

To use:

1. both hands,
    2. one hand,
    3. one leg,

By using method 3, both of your hands are free to deal with your opponent's hands.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-11-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

your video is useless
    Actually its not that bad other than its a bad shot with no penetration or set up, the forearm shield is a good defense when they shoot hi and from a long distance without setting it up correctly |(ie they aren’t wrestlers) , training level changes with your strikes is a good idea, trying to hit a guy on the way in without stopping his momentum well thats another matter
    I disagree with the video though where it says the forearm block is better than the forklift defense though, its all about distance and height: if the guy shoots from a mile out and shoots high shielding with the forarm as you match his level (with or without an underhook) is a good idea, if he shoots high but from a closer distance a level change with double or single underhooks pick up (forklift defence) and turn off is a much better defence because you wont have time or distance to create a bridge/shield with your forearm . The faking and throwing an overhand can be an issue but if you level change correctly your hands protect your head until you dig for the double unders and by that time he should be in too close to hit the overhand
    And if they shoot low correctly or set it up right (which was not done in that video) you have to sprawl

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Actually its not that bad other than its a bad shot with no penetration or set up,
    that's why its useless

that's why its useless
    so level changes and using the elbow to form a frame are uselessa are they? you see both in MMA a lot, so what exactly makes them useless in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    so level changes and using the elbow to form a frame are uselessa are they? you see both in MMA a lot, so what exactly makes them useless in this context?
    bad shot with no penetration or setup