Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wing chun works too much against elbow down?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    WC emphasizes "elbow down". But WC is also the only TCMA system that uses Bong Shou with "elbow up".
    You mean, WC is the only TCMA system you know of that uses Bang Shou with "elbow up".

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Jesus, has a thread ever been more misunderstood?

I'm not talking about wing chun striking. Regular punching is generally elbow out, e.g. boxing. I am saying that wing chun doesn't tend to train enough against this. Ok?
    OOOh the most effective way to hone your wing chun against a boxer is to go to a boxing gym and mixed it up with them...the big gloves will change your dynamic and limit your ability to grapple and redirect force and do certain techniques...but you can still use footwork, forward pressure and other elements of wing chun....

secondly you can make friends with the boxers an do some light sparring with no gloves to see how effective your tech is against an ungloved boxer!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

---Uh, yeah. In this very forum!

I'm not talking about wing chun striking. Regular punching is generally elbow out, e.g. boxing. I am saying that wing chun doesn't tend to train enough against this. Ok?

---That seemed clear enough to me! And I agree!

Depends on the lineage....i spent some time in a boxing gym. What i find that works best is Cho Ma and Biu Ma with continous pressure on the opponent while angling so your opponent cant slip out...once you got your opponent up against the ropes or in the corner stop...The goal is to get them backed up against a wall so they can't defend and then you can start utilizing techniques from the mook yan jong when they are against a wall...

As for training since i was 16 i been training against jabs, right and left crosses, upper cuts and various haymakers and hooks and body shots...

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

---Uh, yeah. In this very forum!

---That seemed clear enough to me! And I agree!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    You mean, WC is the only TCMA system you know of that uses Bang Shou with "elbow up".
    I don't know Bon Shou exist in other TCMA styles. It's a quite unique WC skill. I don't like the restriction of elbow down. Our body parts can perform different functions for reasons. For example, a horizontal of downward elbow strike will require to have elbow out.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

This thread is very simple and, as usual, WC guys over-complicate it.

If you train ALL the time VS WC ( and the principles that go with it and in THIS case on THIS THREAD, strikes that come with the "elbow down"), you will not be ready AS YOU CAN BE for a confrontation with an opponent that presents to you a different "profile" to his strikes ie: a Boxer with looping over hands and so forth.

In short, it is best to also train to address being attacked with "non-wing chun like" strikes and attacks.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't know Bon Shou exist in other TCMA styles. It's a quite unique WC skill. I don't like the restriction of elbow down. Our body parts can perform different functions for reasons. For example, a horizontal of downward elbow strike will require to have elbow out.
    It exists in Songshan Shaolin. The equivalent of the WC kwan-sau works as part of what is called kaoshou or 'shackles' which rolls and changes the arms through various shapes, one of which functions the same as the bong + wu combination.