Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: have at it..video clip

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Actually, I wasn't stating that one should assume street thugs to be unskilled. Simply that opportunities of effectively applying Americana/figure-four locks in an MMA type setting against well-versed grapplers may not statistically present themselves as often as on the street.
    I like where your head's at.

The insistence upon the very only bestest mostingly effectivist technique always ever all the time around here gets kind of ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

The insistence upon the very only bestest mostingly effectivist technique always ever all the time around here gets kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, why use only highly effective techniques when you can use much less effective ones instead and hope that the opponent is relatively clueless.

Greetings,

Vernon:

I have absolutely nothing against ANY kind of lock done in a street situation if the opportunity presents itself to do so or if there is a need to do it. The issue with the OP is not the lock at all. It is how the OP arrived at it. I have watched this thread meander to the effectiveness of a lock or a backfist. The problem is the series of movement. It is flawed.

mickey

One day someone's going to pull it off probably using a technique similar in concept to what YKW was trying to explain in his clip (you pull, I push) and then more peeps will start using the "Americana" as a take down and people like LeRoux will swear up and down that it's one of their approved proven techniques.

meh

Aikido isn't on my high list, but just f**k'n around one night in Judo, I did a something similar to this, but with intention and it completely floored the guy (circular stepped outside his initial grip, grabbed his wrist, turned hard and to the side, used my other grip for leverage, and lo-and-behold, the technique worked ). Conceptually, it's not far off from an Americana. Someone WILL pull it off in a spectacular way someday, others will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Yeah, why use only highly effective techniques when you can use much less effective ones instead and hope that the opponent is relatively clueless.
    Yeah, why perpetuate your inferiority complex by perseverating about ineffective techniques on a message board for a marginal, historically diluted, outdated style when you could just admit to yourself that you're never going to amount to anything more than a mediocre martial artist and thats okay because it doesn't matter that you'll never be a champion, you can still train, be safe and have fun.

Yeah, why perpetuate your inferiority complex by perseverating about ineffective techniques on a message board for a marginal, historically diluted, outdated style when you could just admit to yourself that you're never going to amount to anything more than a mediocre martial artist and thats okay because it doesn't matter that you'll never be a champion, you can still train, be safe and have fun.
    We should start a support group.

"Hi, my name is Kurt and I'm a mediocre martial artist and that's ok".

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "Hi Kurt!"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

There's no such thing as a mediocre martial artist.

You are either able, or unable.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There's no such thing as a mediocre martial artist.

You are either able, or unable.

Is that your Mother, she looks VERY strong!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Aikido isn't on my high list, but just f**k'n around one night in Judo, I did a something similar to this, but with intention and it completely floored the guy (circular stepped outside his initial grip, grabbed his wrist, turned hard and to the side, used my other grip for leverage, and lo-and-behold, the technique worked ). Conceptually, it's not far off from an Americana. Someone WILL pull it off in a spectacular way someday, others will follow.
    don't you love it when some guys heads explode when they see an 'impossible' technique working in a match...then it becoming more common place. like how mma comentators **** themselves when head kick KO's started coming out often, cuz 'thats dangerous, low percentage stuff'

remember the old proponents of 'never kick above the waist' LOL now you get head kick KOs on a regular basis.

if i train the **** out of something thats medium percentage, then it can very well become high percentage for me. especially under the circumstances that most sport guys will never train the reversal/reaction/defense against things that are 'not possible'
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    One day someone's going to pull it off probably using a technique similar in concept to what YKW was trying to explain in his clip (you pull, I push) and then more peeps will start using the "Americana" as a take down and people like LeRoux will swear up and down that it's one of their approved proven techniques.

meh
    You mean like side kick, cross kick or jump front kick? Remember when none of that stuff worked, but for some reason it does now?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

i remember watching peoples brains ooze out their ears when cung le got his first body side/back kick tko
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i remember watching peoples brains ooze out their ears when cung le got his first body side/back kick tko
    Of course that combo will never work, if you never train it. Funny how the percentages start to rise when you actually train the stuff....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!