Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandchildren of ip man

Grandchildren of ip man

Hello,
    I am wondering if Ip Chun and Ip Ching have children.
    And if those children are wing chun sifu's.

Thank you very much for the information,

Kind regards,
    Kungfucasting

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Good question...

Because they would surely have the purest, truest, original Wing Chun.
    Curious what makes you say that? Or were you being sarcastic?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Curious what makes you say that? Or were you being sarcastic?
    No, T Ray is dead serious, and I agree. If Yip Man has grandkids they would have to have the bestest, purest Wing Chun ever. That's because true WC doesn't come from good instruction and hard training. It's a matter of DNA!!! Don't you read Hendrik's posts here? LOL
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    No, T Ray is dead serious, and I agree. If Yip Man has grandkids they would have to have the bestest, purest Wing Chun ever. That's because true WC doesn't come from good instruction and hard training. It's a matter of DNA!!! Don't you read Hendrik's posts here? LOL
    hahaha, silly me, I forgot about all that DNA stuffs
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Ahhh, but you blokes wouldnt be able to identify that DNA as you arent 1850ised!!!!

Now I am curious as well though, does Ip Man have grandchildren and do they practice Wing Chun? Not that I would drop everything and go seek to train with them, but this thread has me curious. heh

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Wooden Dummy Book

In the MYJ book written by Yip Chun (Yip's son) and "edited" by Leung Ting there is a photo of Yip and a grandchild. Although, the caption of the photo also says that Yip's daughter is in the picture. I reckon that this was a mistake and that the caption should have actually read Yip's "daughter-in-law" since I have found it difficult to confirm anywhere that Yip did in fact have any daughters.

I think the photo was from the late 60s or early 70s, so the grandchild in the photo would be in his/her mid to late 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    In the MYJ book written by Yip Chun (Yip's son) and "edited" by Leung Ting there is a photo of Yip and a grandchild. Although, the caption of the photo also says that Yip's daughter is in the picture. I reckon that this was a mistake and that the caption should have actually read Yip's "daughter-in-law" since I have found it difficult to confirm anywhere that Yip did in fact have any daughters.

I think the photo was from the late 60s or early 70s, so the grandchild in the photo would be in his/her mid to late 40's.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ip Man did/does have a daughter- took her with him to Macao to get her married.

Yip's Daughter(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ip Man did/does have a daughter- took her with him to Macao to get her married.
    I read that somewhere a while back as well; however, I am wondering how accurate that info was. If Yip was able to escape the mainland to Macao with a daughter then I am wondering why he wasn't able to get his entire family out when he fled mainland China in 1949 as an older man.

A friend of mine who speaks Cantonese says that he thinks he recalls an interview of one of Yip's sons who stated that Yip's two daughters had died from "malnutrition" during the Japanese occupation well before Yip had left for Hong Kong.

In any event, there isn't much written information out there in cyberspace that I have been able to uncover.
    Last edited by Vernon; 07-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    I read that somewhere a while back as well; however, I am wondering how accurate that info was. If Yip was able to escape the mainland to Macao with a daughter then I am wondering why he wasn't able to get his entire family out when he fled mainland China in 1949 as an older man.

A friend of mine who speaks Cantonese says that he thinks he recalls an interview of one of Yip's sons who stated that Yip's two daughters had died from "malnutrition" during the Japanese occupation well before Yip had left for Hong Kong.

In any event, there isn't much written information out there in cyberspace that I have been able to uncover.
    -----------------------------------------------
    See page 107- Ip Man-Portrait of a Kung Fu master by Ip Ching in cooperation with the late Ron Heimberger.

-----------------------------------------------
    See page 107- Ip Man-Portrait of a Kung Fu master by Ip Ching in cooperation with the late Ron Heimberger.
    -------------------------------------

PPS-I do not know whether she is living now and if not when she died. But Ip Man did get her married in Macao.

For those that may be interested...

When I was at the original opening of Ip Man Tong in Fatshan I was invited by both Ip Chun and Ip Ching to take a picture of their families. A great honour for me as I was the only westerner there for this picture and some of the children were sitting with me checking out my camera which was charming...

Don't ask me who is who though but I think there are 'great' grandchildren in there too maybe... and sorry that the quality isn't great

http://www.y-y-a.co.uk/theacademy/Ga...viewer_10.html
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    When I was at the original opening of Ip Man Tong in Fatshan I was invited by both Ip Chun and Ip Ching to take a picture of their families. A great honour for me as I was the only westerner there for this picture and some of the children were sitting with me checking out my camera which was charming...

Don't ask me who is who though but I think there are 'great' grandchildren in there too maybe... and sorry that the quality isn't great

http://www.y-y-a.co.uk/theacademy/Ga...viewer_10.html

-----------------------------------

Thanks for the picture.
    Amazing that one person so widely and globally spread interest in wing chun. I think that it is unprecedented.

Two Daughters

-------------------------------------

PPS-I do not know whether she is living now and if not when she died. But Ip Man did get her married in Macao.
    There are several Ving Tsun websites which include in their "history of VT" sections the information that Yip had two daughters: Yip Ar Sum and Yip Ar Woon.

Still, from what I have read Yip went to Macao very briefly upon fleeing communist China in 1949 in order to avoid punishment for supporting the Chinese Nationalist Party. According to most accounts Yip was near destitute at this point in his life due to having his finances seized and needing to escape persecution from the communists by fleeing to Macau before ending up in Hong Kong. Therefore, it seems unlikely that he would have been in a position to take one of his daughters along with him to Macau during his escape in order to have her wed to someone.

Furthermore, Yip's sons didn't reunite with their father in Hong Kong until the 1960s, so I doubt that Yip took either of his daughters to Macau for a wedding at this time period either. Apparently Yip's wife in Foshan died from illness during the Japanese occupation, so if Yip did have any daughters I would think that they stayed with family on the mainland with their brothers when Yip fled to HK via Macau.
    Last edited by Vernon; 07-18-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Bruce Lee

-----------------------------------

Thanks for the picture.
    Amazing that one person so widely and globally spread interest in wing chun. I think that it is unprecedented.
    Yip definitely deserves credit for being the patriarch of modern day Wing Chun, but I dare say that without Bruce's bringing attention to WC that the art would still be relatively unheard of in today's world. I'd reckon that most practitioners started WC due to their desire to learn Bruce's mother art. Although most people who stick with it probably do so because it truly is a unique and wonderful art.

Best,
    Vernon