Thread: 偏(Pian) – Head Circling

Blog Entries

偏(Pian) – Head Circling

The "head circling" is commonly used in boxing to dodge a punch, and Chinese wrestling to

- dodge a "haymaker":

head circle 1 - YouTube

- escape an upper collar control:

head circle - YouTube

- dodge a head lock:

head circling - YouTube

It's not quite commonly used in other TCMA styles. From all the forms that I have learned, I have not seen it exists in any of the TCMA forms that I know. Why TCMA does not emphasize on this technique enough? Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "head circling" is commonly used in boxing to dodge a punch, and Chinese wrestling to escape a upper collar control or to dodge a head lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vr75864Uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFvOl...ature=youtu.be

It's not quite commonly used in other TCMA styles. From all the forms that I have learned, I have not seen it exists in any of the TCMA forms that I know. Why TCMA does not emphasize on this technique enough? Your thought?
    It is seen in our 2 person partner version of Bung Bo.

Towards the end, you escape from waist cut takedown. You are right lead, the other guy is left lead.

He follows immediately with left hook punch. You drop into horse stance and circle the head under and to his outside.

Did not know it was uncommon. I originally learned it in jujitsu as an escape from a lapel grab. In kungfu we sometimes used it as a way to duck under a round kick, but that was for training kicks, not a realistic defense against fast kicks. I like it in a grappling context.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

It is also in our empty hand vs. broadsword, ducking under the horizontal cut.

Also in our spear vs. staff - ducking under the horizontal staff strike and sweeping with the spear.

Also in our 2 person Tou Fah San.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "head circling" is commonly used in boxing to dodge a punch, and Chinese wrestling to escape a upper collar control or to dodge a head lock.
    Related to that, if you do a finesse version of the classic Mantis Catches Cicada movement, the first hand motion can be very small and close to your head.

The other person almost lands the punch, but the head slips to the side.

You have some nice very close range followups from there. I use that a lot when I want to let the other guy's force work to my advantage.

in bareknuckle guard is tighter and head movement is smaller. boxing has big head movement because of big gloves. even hung gar has bobbing and weaving.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™ฎLLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™ฎLLC

Blog Entries
    When you use head circling, you need to use one of your hand to press on your opponent's elbow joint. This way he won't be able to use elbow, back fist, or use reverse head lock (guillotine) on you.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-16-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument