Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    hey..speaking of BJJ..

just got my blue belt.
    Congrats.

Your manlov'n ability is now certified.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    hey..speaking of BJJ..

just got my blue belt.
    Grats! Enjoy the white belts testing the new blue belt, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Wrong. In stand up fight you have already lost if you are thinking long game strategic strategy. Fact.
    Wrong. You have lost if you have not prepared for the possibility of the long game.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Wrong. You have lost if you have not prepared for the possibility of the long game.
    I think your both right to some degree. It's pretty unrealistic to plan 3 or 4 moves in advance in striking, they way you MAY be able to with grappling...you can plan 1 or 2 moves ahead for your feint, set-up, combo or whatever, after that it would be pretty hard to predict what's going to happen against a decent opponent.

However, I also think long-game strategy is important as well. For instance, you may plan to feel your opponent out the first round or two, then incrementally increase pressure. If you think your conditioning is superior, you may keep an intense pace waiting for him to tire. You might decide to let him chase you the first half of the fight, make him think your scared, unwilling to commit, let him get ****y and relaxed, then exploit his recklessness with powerful counter attacks.

These are all examples of long game strategy, IMO....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

What I always find interesting about articles attacking competitive or "sport" martial arts, is the belief that a martial athlete can't defend themselves in a self defense situation because their art is too "sporty".

Considering the number of TMA practitioners that have been eaten alive by boxers and wrestlers over the years, we know that's false.

If you can get an armbar in a cage match, chances are you can get an armbar in a streetlight. I mean why not? Your opponent in the cage is resisting you and probably about as trained as you are. Your opponent in the street is also resisting, but probably will have no idea how to counter your ability, unlike your ring opponent. Further, a Judo or Bjj practitioner can further hone their armbar ability in the gym, because if done properly, you can actually perform an armbar in your dojo full speed without actually injuring your opponent.

In Kung Fu or Karate, you can't hit your sparring partner full blast, because you may break your hand, or your sparring partners face or other body part. You can't practice eye gouges and neck snaps full speed because killing your partner is a no-no. However, a Judoka or Bjj practitioner can practice throws and Kimuras all day long, full speed, against a fully resisting opponent. They can simulate death via chokes that their partner can recover from.

This is the genius of Kano's Judo which also spawned Bjj. He removed all of the deadly stuff you couldn't practice, and focused on the techniques you could practice over and over again with full resistance.

What i find laughable are all those people that say their art isnt meant for the ring, its meant for the streets. If you can't fight in a controlled environment, how can you fight in an uncontrolled environment?

It's simple, you can't.
    Last edited by BigPandaBear; 09-28-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPandaBear View Post

In Kung Fu or Karate, you can't hit your sparring partner full blast, because you may break your hand, or your sparring partners face or other body part.
    When they make that excuse it's just silly, because you could always wear gloves and protective gear. You can do 99% of your TMA techniques with MMA gloves on, you can probably do 75% of them with boxing gloves on.

When people say their art won't work with gloves on; I think they are pathetic. You mean to tell me in a fight you only use those 1% of techniques you can't do in MMA gloves? Why practice the other 99% of your art then?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPandaBear View Post
    What I always find interesting about articles attacking competitive or "sport" martial arts, is the belief that a martial athlete can't defend themselves in a self defense situation because their art is too "sporty".
    In "sport", you have to deal with somebody about your own skill level. you have to try extra harder to make your move work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZ6oPo_HRM

In the above clip, this guy had to change force direction in order to make his "double legs" work.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-29-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

In "sport", you have to deal with somebody about your own skill level. you have to try extra harder to make your move work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZ6oPo_HRM

In the above clip, this guy had to change force direction in order to make his "double legs" work.
    One of the things I noticed in Bjj was how much I thought I sucked because I was constantly going against people who knew how to counter what I was doing. It was only until I went against someone who didn't know what they were doing did I realize how skilled I truly was.

Its an empowering, and humbling experience at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    When they make that excuse it's just silly, because you could always wear gloves and protective gear. You can do 99% of your TMA techniques with MMA gloves on, you can probably do 75% of them with boxing gloves on.

When people say their art won't work with gloves on; I think they are pathetic. You mean to tell me in a fight you only use those 1% of techniques you can't do in MMA gloves? Why practice the other 99% of your art then?
    Yeah, that nonsense blows my mind.

What's worse is when they say that they can't win in competitions because they can't bite, pull hair, or poke people in the eyes.

So which art sounds more sophisticated? The art which can put a crazed attacker to sleep, or the art where I need to resort to gripping someone's hair and biting them in the neck like an insane person?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    That's how a crab would fight a chimpanzee. To have ground skill is good. But to give up the stand up game completely is a bit too much.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Good thing that was just sportfighting. A cranestyle low snapkick would have sent that contender to the jeweler's.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I train at a Relson Gracie school, and its definitely more self-defense based. We do quite a bit of takedowns, and striking along with grappling. We still compete, but I know that Relson is big on preserving the self-defense aspects of Bjj.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Good thing that was just sportfighting. A cranestyle low snapkick would have sent that contender to the jeweler's.
    Well obviously in a streetfight, he wouldn't be doing that.