Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The problem with BJJ techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No one said anything about just training for the rules, but you have it ass backwards 90% should be done to the rules, 10% (if that) not otherwise why bother training the art why not just make your own thing up
    Because the art has specific movements and tactics; that's why I train in it. You can easily train outside tournament rules and still retain your art just fine.

and in spending your 90% time practising illegal street stuff you wont get any better because the coaches wont bother with you, why should they they want to teach grapplin gand have people compete not street deadly stuff, if they wanted to teach that they would teach JKD lol
    I'm not just talking about grappling, or about nut shots and eye gouges. There are a variety of rules that different tournaments put in place for different arts. To me, it's important to not get so used to those rules that you do not think of things outside of that.

In my personal experience, I've found training within competition rules most of the time to be limiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I think the Jiu Jitsu back then was beautiful to watch for outside... and was way more hard work. Today it's rules, you know the rules, you play the rules you'll be fine. -Robson Moura
    Evolution of BJJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Because the art has specific movements and tactics; that's why I train in it. You can easily train outside tournament rules and still retain your art just fine.
    Agree with you on this.

When I train "single leg", I not only have to take my opponent down but also have to be able to run at least 20 steps pass behind my opponent. This way, if I have to use it in street fight, I can integrate "take down" and "run like hell" as one move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kgryljlaU

Will this training be able to help me in sport? To run my opponent down is always a good strategy in combat. If I change my training and only emphasize on

- take down,
    - get on top, and
    - apply ground skill,

it may fit the MMA game better. But the spirit of the Chinese wrestling will be gone. Trying to be like everybody and lose my own identity, to me, that's not a smart thing to do. Since "mobility" training is not emphasized today, someone has to preserve it for the future generation.

It's OK to evolve. But to change sex from male to female and forget where you came from, that's not "evolution" by my definition.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Agree with you on this.

When I train "single leg", I not only have to take my opponent down but also have to be able to run at least 20 steps pass behind my opponent. This way, if I have to use it in street fight, I can integrate "take down" and "run like hell" as one move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kgryljlaU

Will this training be able to help me in sport? To run my opponent down is always a good strategy in combat. If I change my training and only emphasize on

- take down,
    - get on top, and
    - apply ground skill,

it may fit the MMA game better. But the spirit of the Chinese wrestling will be gone. Trying to be like everybody and lose my own identity, to me, that's not a smart thing to do. Since "mobility" training is not emphasized today, someone has to preserve it for the future generation.

It's OK to evolve. But to change sex from male to female and forget where you came from, that's not "evolution" by my definition.
    Are you Jesus?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

The problem with BJJ techniques

you really...and i mean really need to do some grappling
    Well , you ' re entitled to your own opinion , frost . I did grappling , but not the way you people do it . I don ' t play chess game like you people do , I would rather just submit the person and that ' s it .

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Well , you ' re entitled to your own opinion , frost . I did grappling , but not the way you people do it . I don ' t play chess game like you people do , I would rather just submit the person and that ' s it .
    nope im quite sure you have never grappled in the same way i or others have thats for sure

kimura talks about kato throwing helio and mounting and dominating him, and helio talks about chokeing him out in under 6 mintues so whose account do we believe?
    from the available film, BOTH accounts are correct.
    http://youtu.be/HMAu0A-vQm8

Helio's stand up sucked big time, he was thrown and on bottom (but not mounted) and maybe Kato got over confident because Helio did choke him out

Under the rules they fought and agreed to helio won the first match and lost the second
    Yes, this is correct

And so what helio fought the greatest judo player the world has seen, and helped develop a system which has surpassed judo in terms of ground work and in terms of its ability to be used without the gi and with and without strikes.
    There are a lot of twists and turns and also half truths and outright lies in the BJJ story, but the most interesting thing is that today, many BJJ schools are on their way to being just sport schools and even McDojos

Being in industrialized nations and making lots of money softens a man up
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The problem with BJJ techniques

nope im quite sure you have never grappled in the same way i or others have thats for sure
    Who cares ? Because , that ' s the way is it is ' nt it . You know why I never grappled before ? I think it ' s a waste of time , that ' s why . Grappling is all around the world just because I don ' t do any grappling , it does ' nt mean I don ' t know anything about grappling . Well , frost it really does ' nt matter what you think , grappling is a chess game I know alot of people involved with grappling that ' s why with it ' s limitations .

Like what I said you put your hold on me and I use another techniques to get out of it , if I put a submission hold on you , chances are either it may not work on you or you get out of it , and it goes on and on . Until somebody gets tired and losses right ? I would ' nt waste my energy on it .

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Who cares ? Because , that ' s the way is it is ' nt it . You know why I never grappled before ? I think it ' s a waste of time , that ' s why . Grappling is all around the world just because I don ' t do any grappling , it does ' nt mean I don ' t know anything about grappling . Well , frost it really does ' nt matter what you think , grappling is a chess game I know alot of people involved with grappling that ' s why with it ' s limitations .

Like what I said you put your hold on me and I use another techniques to get out of it , if I put a submission hold on you , chances are either it may not work on you or you get out of it , and it goes on and on . Until somebody gets tired and losses right ? I would ' nt waste my energy on it .
    nope im not going to put a lock on you, im going to break your arm or choke you to sleep in about 15 seconds, you know why? Because I know the rules to this game of chess and you have only ever watched the game on tv . That's why I said you need to learn to grapple

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    you have to do grappling to know about it. It's not something taught in reference, it's taught in participation or actual sparring.

chess game? isn't everything a chess game?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    you have to do grappling to know about it. It's not something taught in reference, it's taught in participation or actual sparring.

chess game? isn't everything a chess game?
    its only a chess game if you understand the rules and can play the game otherwise its a massacre

BJJ Smarter, Judo Tougher

I believe this was why I excelled at BJJ when I started. For me, Judo was a way tougher sport than BJJ. You really cannot compare the two in terms of how strenuous the practices are. Judo made BJJ easy for me. I was tapping black belts when I was a purple belt.

Judo is faster by nature. It is more aggressive. It gave me the situational awareness to be quick with precise movement. For me, BJJ is that cool, collected, intelligent brother, and Judo is the older, meaner, tougher brother who will bully the bullies. - Dave Camarillo

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

Judo is an Olympic sport which is widely practised, its talent pool is very deep, which means that those that compete at a higher level should be better than their BJJ counterparts because the shark tank they play is is much fiercer . This is especially true in the womends division and you can see this with the way phonda is armbarring people, they know its coming but she is simply too good at it for them to stop because she is used to doing it to a much higher level of competition, now in the mens division it’s a closer gap I believe
    All sports are made by the rules they compete in, judo rules make for a great takedown game, good pins and very fast aggressive ground game. BJJ rules for ok takedowns, ok pins and very good ground game
    The question is are the current rules in judo going to help or hinder its ground game, I say hinder you will not get a very good ground submission game with only 30 seconds of mat time, the other question is whether the grip rule changes and the banning of leg attacks will help or hinder it when its guys compete outside the rule set, I feel it will hinder it and will lead to a inselur judop style where guys wont go out into BJJ, adcc or sambo comps because the rules will be so different
    And with noticeable exceptions judo ground work is not on a par with BJJ, the story is normally the other way around, with BJJ purple belts subbing judo blackbelts (after being thrown on their heads lol) because of the difference in rules

Is BJJ Better than Judo?

A comment recently made was "...that judo's biggest weakness in newaza is the lack of attention paid to positional grappling." I think that virtually everyone who trains in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can agree with this statement. Unfortunately, it's wrong.

An equivalent statement by Judoka might be "BJJ's biggest weakness is their 'standup' game..." And although most Judoka would probably subscribe to it, that statement is just as wrong.

Now that I've got both BJJ'ers and Judoka's mad at me, let me make my point, and perhaps we can still learn from each other. The reason that both of these statements are wrong, is that they both carry a hidden assumption. Both statements assume that you can directly compare the two arts. You cannot. They have both different rules (and most everyone immediately understands that), but also different strategies.

It is in the area of strategy where tactics evolve. If your underlying strategy is different, then your tactics will also be different. As an example, let us make the judgment that legs are stronger than arms... Can anyone argue with that? Let us further make the judgment that legs have a further 'reach' than arms... again, a perfectly permissible thought. Does this suggest a strategy? It certainly does, it is the basis of the strategy followed by Korean Tae Kwon Do styles.

Now, what is the underlying strategy of BJJ? (Disclaimer here: I do not study BJJ, my knowledge comes only from talking and practicing with BJJ'ers.) Might I suggest that the judgment might be made that most fights end up on the ground? Might I further suggest that an apparently good strategy might be to be better than anyone else at the place where you'll end up anyway? Someone following this strategy will not evolve complicated tactics for getting someone else down on the ground, under the strategic guidelines, most everyone ends up there anyway. So any tactics for getting someone to the ground will be basic ones, and not emphasized. What will evolve, would be the best methods for stopping someone from continuing to fight when on the ground. Complicated, highly trained methods of taking someone to the ground has rather limited value to BJJ's strategy.

The comparable underlying strategy of Judo is just as focused. It is to gain control over an opponent by putting him off-balance. Kuzushi is always the start of anything in Judo. Once placed off-balance, a Judoka would like to throw his opponent, and then maintain the control already achieved with a 'triangle' of tactics. That triangle being pins, armbars, and chokes. Since the Judoka wishes to maintain a control already achieved, what need does he have of positional grappling? If control is lost, a Judoka probably prefers to begin again where he has been trained to gain that control, standing up. Complex highly trained positional grappling is of limited value to the Judoka's strategy.

Once the hidden strategies of both arts are examined, can the tactics be understood? I know I cannot be alone among Judoka when I think about the the rather slender grasp of standup skills that many BJJ'ers have... but in view of their strategy, it makes sense. Just as Judo's tactics make sense when their strategy is examined.

Can the two arts learn from each other? Certainly! But learning from each other is a far cry from believing that the respective arts have 'holes' that can only be filled from the skills of the other art.

In a recent interview, a Judoka who's moved over to BJJ commented "Why doesn't someone when they see something better come along open their eyes to it and change? I don't get it." Might I suggest that this person has changed strategies? And is now comparing both arts with the same strategy?

If you'd like to ask the question, which is better, Judo or BJJ... all I have to say is what is better, an apple or an orange?

And better at what?

About the New Rules

"New rules make for better judo" claims top official after Samsun success

The big thing for me is that there's a lot more standing techniques and ippons and the judo looks the way we think judo should look. ~ Neil Adams
    The new rules make for better judo and we're seeing more techniques and judoka continuing to transition into ne-waza [ground work]. ~ Daniel Lascau, the IJF Sports Director.