Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TMA Training Tools vs Weapons

Where have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    If we don't take the necessary steps, I see a vast change in the materials that are used to create our tools: plastic, cheap wood, junkyard steel.
    That happened a long time ago. Centuries ago. Well, maybe not the plastic - that's only within the last few decades. But if you compare the quality of genuine antiques, only the really high-end stuff made today comes close. Close, mind you, not always as good.

That being said, you cannot shape language. I would love to rectify the use of 'broadsword' for dao in America, but it's just impossible to do so, even for me sitting in control of the largest English language CMA publication in the nation.

The topic of proper labeling was somewhat addressed in Wushu Needs Name Rectification by An Tianrong, although that was directed to more general terms than weapons. We ran it because it broached an intriguing topic, but not because it was an achievable goal. Americans will say what they please - language is a virus.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Well, you shouldn't have screwed his wife then.
    Hey! I don't mess with married women...now he may have a daughter...

I kid, I kid.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

****** Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    now he may have a daughter...
    Where's my ashtray? The big round glass one! Where is it!?!?!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,

"...me sitting in control of the largest English language CMA publication in the nation."

I get the distinct feeling that you so enjoyed typing that.

Back on topic:

I was not talking about quality, which has always been an issue. I am talking about availability. The social language is difficult to control, I agree. It is the commercial language that can be influenced. Let us start there:

"We carry the largest selection of martial arts training tools that cater to both the performance minded and the research enthusiast. They are all sold unsharpened."

"Our training ornaments cater to both the performance minded and the eager research enthusiast. They are sold unsharpened"

mickey

some shops in HK call it instruments and not weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Where's my ashtray? The big round glass one! Where is it!?!?!
    Ask your daughter.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

word

I get the distinct feeling that you so enjoyed typing that.
    I did indeed, in retrospect. Gotta grab those little perks when you can.

It is the commercial language that can be influenced. Let us start there:

"We carry the largest selection of martial arts training tools that cater to both the performance minded and the research enthusiast. They are all sold unsharpened."

"Our training ornaments cater to both the performance minded and the eager research enthusiast. They are sold unsharpened"
    Wait, ornaments? That's so Hong Kong. Commercial language is even harder to control. All vendors are competitors, so they won't agree on a specific vocabulary. They can't even agree on fair pricing, especially on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Ask your daughter.
    **** the ashtray. I'm going straight for the gun. I know where my gun is.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

Gene,

At some point they will have to agree on some vocabulary or they will not be selling this goods any more. It is about taking responsibility, taking power, before it is taken away by some politically paranoid imp. And we have more than enough of those imps than we need.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    **** the ashtray. I'm going straight for the gun. I know where my gun is.
    I'm noticing a 'fuk the ashtray, im going for my gun' trend...

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Or you can run someone into a wall and then hit them with a chair.
    Follow up with throwing something heavy at their head. Like an ashtray, or a pool ball. This works.
    Shibumi!.....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

-N-:

Hoplology is a term created by the late Donn Draeger for the research and understanding of the usage of ancient weapons. It was not about sword dances.
    Right. And I was agreeing with Pazman that many people aren't training weapon skills as much as they are just "dancing".

Not much correct partner weapon training going on, let alone weapon sparring.

And most 2 person forms are done without realistic timing, partners deliberately aim off target, people are not even in correct range, they anticipate and block attacks that aren't even there, and they flail around having no feel of the weapon's inherent dynamics or how to coordinate them with the principles of their particular kung fu system.

This weekend we just happened to be working with students on applications of spear and staff techniques. They were doing partner drills on thrusts, slams, parries, traps, and disarms.

Not actual sparring, but they did work on proper usage of the weapons and internal body mechanics when catching, sticking, and pressuring in for counterattack.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    many people aren't training weapon skills as much as they are just "dancing".
    If you use your weapon to hit

- on a solid object (such as a tree), you are training "combat".
    - into the thin air, you are "dancing".

The worst problem is some people still think that they are training "combat" and not just "dancing". I know the word "combat" may upset many people, but I truly don't know another better word that's opposite to "dancing".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-22-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you use your weapon to hit

- on a solid object (such as a tree), you are training "combat".
    - into the thin air, you are "dancing".

The worst problem is some people still think that they are training "combat" and not just "dancing". I know the word "combat" may upset many people, but I truly don't know another better word that's opposite to "dancing".
    Interesting, the difference between sport and combat.

This weekend we just happened to be working with students on applications of spear and staff techniques. They were doing partner drills on thrusts, slams, parries, traps, and disarms.

Not actual sparring, but they did work on proper usage of the weapons and internal body mechanics when catching, sticking, and pressuring in for counterattack.
    One of the students had several years background in fencing. I explained the disarm and hand attack to him, "You have this in your fencing." He said, "Yeah, it's like an expulsion."

I wasn't familiar with the term, but Googled some commentary just now saying it isn't used much in competition because judges call a halt on disarm, so you don't get to score.

Whereas in TCMA, you combine expulsion with hand attack, and follow up immediately with a thrust attack.

Interesting, the difference between sport and combat.
    But at least sport isn't dancing.

Right. And I was agreeing with Pazman that many people aren't training weapon skills as much as they are just "dancing".

Not much correct partner weapon training going on, let alone weapon sparring.

And most 2 person forms are done without realistic timing, partners deliberately aim off target, people are not even in correct range, they anticipate and block attacks that aren't even there, and they flail around having no feel of the weapon's inherent dynamics or how to coordinate them with the principles of their particular kung fu system.

My favorite CMA weapon remains the long staff, because it's the one weapon our CLF school trained not only applications, but free-sparring (with padded staffs/staves?). The sparring staffs were obviously much thicker and were heavier than a real one, but still smarted a bit. It was a great way to become natural with the weapon/implement. I only wish there was a way to do the same, but with a narrower padded staff, so the grip will more closely approximate the grip used with a regular wooden staff.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-24-2013 at 10:12 AM.