Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using heavy weapons for strength training

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It is a common misunderstanding that some people have that they think "strength training" and think "individual muscles".
    That is only ONE type of ST protocol.
    That is a "classical bodybuilding" protocol.
    A CLassical STRENGTH one tends to focus on heavy COMPOUND moves that work the whole of the body AND the CNS.
    In that case I'm more interested to learn more about that kind of protocol but regarding developing power and utilizing it in TCMA don't you think what this random guy does with his 17.5 kg dadao (or if he can do even a heavier weapon) is already the best heavy compound moves for the strength he wants to use in his martial art?

http://www.56.com/u55/v_MzE3ODQ2NzY.html

LOL 40 pound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzes...tailpage&t=982

get 140 pound u poosy

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    In that case I'm more interested to learn more about that kind of protocol but regarding developing power and utilizing it in TCMA don't you think what this random guy does with his 17.5 kg dadao (or if he can do even a heavier weapon) is already the best heavy compound moves for the strength he wants to use in his martial art?

http://www.56.com/u55/v_MzE3ODQ2NzY.html
    Why do you feel it is an either/or situation?
    Task specific ST always has SOME carry over to general strength and vice-versa off course.
    But why do only one?

In our everyday lives we use far more general than specific strength and while there is always some carry-over, it doesn't make any sense to only do one or the other, especially since we typically do "task specific ST" when we do our MA part of training and do general strength when we do our "conditioning" part.

What I mean is this:
    Swinging and thrusting a 75lb iron "bo" will give you much lots of strength and endurance to do just that, with some general carry over strength.
    BUT, how much do you think that will help you to move furniture? to move a fridge? carry bags of cement to do yard work? etc?
    Now, how much do you think your ability to deadlift 350lbs will help for those tasks?
    Which do you think will have the most carryover?

Add to that the fact that your ability to use a 75lbs "bo" will be greatly enhanced when you are, well, just plain stronger from doing basic, compound strength training.

In short, why limit your MA by limiting your ST?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

@bawang:

That's a random guy. In a quick search I couldn't find anything heavier for the type of moves I meant. My Shishu does 90 kg but this is not the type of moves I meant:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzY4NzQ3NzYw.html

In short, why limit your MA by limiting your ST?
    It's not because I want to limit myself. It's because my time and energy are limited. If the object of the training is to train until you get close to your limit for one day and have to rest then it becomes an either/or situation. Should I use the remaining of my energy on the weapon where I can also practice combat moves, explosive power,... or on deadlift.

Efficiency and heavy weapons...

I need the most efficient way to train my Kwan Dao! Honestly now, wtf does that mean? What are you training your Kwan Dao for? The street? The cage? Come on now. Don't just apply trending training jargon to anything and everything. When I see anyone wielding a super heavy weapon, I'm impressed. That's real kung fu. That's high-level skill developed over time and hard effort.

Heavy Kwan Dao demos are seen in traditional Chinese acrobatics as an art form, just like heavy bow drawing. It's sort of like a circus strong man act. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, if you've ever seen one of these performances, they are pretty entertaining.

If you want to train heavy weapons, go for it. Be cautious, don't overdo it, and progress gradually.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

As I said I didn't mean acrobatic super heavy guandao. That is not a weapon anymore and their moves are not related to combat so much. However the "normal" heavy weapons can directly benefit the explosive power, body method, footwork, ... used in both weapon and unarmed combat.

It's not because I want to limit myself. It's because my time and energy are limited. If the object of the training is to train until you get close to your limit for one day and have to rest then it becomes an either/or situation. Should I use the remaining of my energy on the weapon where I can also practice combat moves, explosive power,... or on deadlift.
    Well, if you want to make the MOST of your training time, I would suggest you not "waste" time with things that serve no useful purpose either in your every day life or why you do MA, in short?
    Why train with a weapon you will NEVER use if your time is so limited ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

he doesn't want to lift weights because lift weights is hard. and he says the 180 pound da dao swing is not the "right kind" of his exercise because its too hard.

he likes the idea of dancing and prancing around with little baby weight 40 pound weapons, that's basically bicep curling 20 pound each hand LOL
    Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I need the most efficient way to train my Kwan Dao! Honestly now, wtf does that mean?
    like dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvMcMUyB3c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...etailpage&t=93
    Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    he doesn't want to lift weights because lift weights is hard. and he says the 180 pound da dao swing is not the "right kind" of his exercise because its too hard.

he likes the idea of dancing and prancing around with little baby weight 40 pound weapons, that's basically bicep curling 20 pound each hand LOL
    I'm sure as a weapon heavier than 17.5 kg is also possible so since you practice the "real Taichi" you should be familiar with the chen style dadao set. Maybe you can show us your video doing the set better than that skinny guy does using a heavier dadao. Or is it that you have never tried it before? LOL

I'm sure as a weapon heavier than 17.5 kg is also possible so since you practice the "real Taichi" you should be familiar with the chen style dadao set. Maybe you can show us your video doing the set better than that skinny guy does using a heavier dadao. Or is it that you have never tried it before? LOL
    yes I have tried, which is why I know ur talking out ur ass. u cant shadowbox with heavy weapons, the momentum will injure u.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    get 140 pound u poosy
    Sometime too much weight is not a good idea. I started my square bag throwing from 16 lb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR3v7...ature=youtu.be

Oneday I gradulate increased to 23 lbs, 1st my female students started to complain. Later some male students felt pulling muscle in their shoulder joint. I soon drop the weight back down to 21 lb and never passed that.

In the gym, I will use the weight pulley in fast motion (fast pull, fast release). If I just work on 55 lb, I'll be OK. Whenever I worked on 60 lb (just 5 lb more), I could feel some pulling muscle in my elbow joint.

Heavy weight and speed just don't go together. It makes no sense to injury your body by weight work out. You should dominate weight. Never let weight to dominate you.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-24-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    Why train with a weapon you will NEVER use if your time is so limited ??
    Agree 100% there. There are so many combat skills that we can develop in our life time. I prefer to spend my training time in something that I can use in my next fight (if that will ever happen).

What's the most important combat skill? I'll say "一撃必殺 - one punch to kill". How to achieve it? Use your fist to meet your heavy bag as much as you can.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Sometime too much weight is not a good idea. I started my square bag throwing from 16 lb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR3v7...ature=youtu.be

Oneday I gradulate increased to 23 lbs, 1st my female students started to complain. Later some male students felt pulling muscle in their shoulder joint. I soon drop the weight back down to 21 lb and never passed that.

In the gym, I will use the weight pulley in fast motion (fast pull, fast release). If I just work on 55 lb, I'll be OK. Whenever I worked on 60 lb (just 5 lb more), I could feel some pulling muscle in my elbow joint.

Heavy weight and speed just don't go together. You should dominate weight. Never let weight to dominate you.
    this is not about heavy weights, this is about him being fascinated by "exotic oriental exercise"
    Last edited by bawang; 07-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.