Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Using heavy weapons for strength training

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    "exotic oriental exercise"
    That's what vacations to Thailand are for.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe my Chinglish, I just can't make this clear.

The Chinese wrestling is in very awkward position. Judo or wrestling don't treat it as one of them. Sometime even TCMA may treat it as "foreign".

I'm always interesting in to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone". When I find it, I like to share it to the others. Even if it may be just one person who can pick up this idea of "kill 2 birds with 1 stone", my efford of "repeating myself" will not be wasted. If any new MA training tools that can be invented from this same idea, everybody will be benefitted.

That clip doesn't include the footwork. If you use

- left hand to grab on your opponwnt's right upper-arm,
    - right hand to grab on his left upper-arm,
    - left arm to "push" his right upper-arm,
    - right arm to "pull" his left upper-arm,
    - right stealing step to spin your body to your right,

you can twist (push and pull) your opponent from a stand up position all the way down to the ground.
    why you try to kill. 2 birds. With 1 stone and mix training protocols you normally and up with less than stella results in both.......

Greetings,

Frost,

Let us look at the wrist roller. It can be used for strength development as we all know. But if I use that same session to mentally train grabbing and twisting with that device while still being progressive with strength training modalities, there is no loss in either.

mickey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    why you try to kill. 2 birds. With 1 stone and mix training protocols you normally and up with less than stella results in both.......
    The answer to your question is very simple. We don't have training partner 24/7. When we train at home along, we can use special weight equipments to simulate our training partners and get the most benefit out of it.

When I

- do my bench press, I feel guilty because I think I'm just doing it for my "health".
    - twist my water container, I don't feel guilty becuse I know I'm training for my "combat".

I'm not a "training TCMA for health" person. I do value "combat development" to have much higher priority than my "health maintence". The day that I can replace my long distance running with my zigzag footwork training,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxptvJlubY

the day that I'll have no more "guilty" feeling. I haven't tried to use that footwork to finish 4 miles yet.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-25-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The day that I can replace my long distance running with my zigzag footwork training,

I'll have no more "guilty" feeling. I haven't tried to use that footwork to finish 4 miles yet.
    For combat usage, you are better off training that footwork as a windsprint instead of for distance.

Distance training has its benefits in building aerobic base, but quick burst of speed and ability to recover is more applicable to combat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    For combat usage, you are better off training that footwork as a windsprint instead of for distance.

Distance training has its benefits in building aerobic base, but quick burst of speed and ability to recover is more applicable to combat.
    Agree! I just don't have enough self-motivation to repeat my hip throw 1000 times none stop in order to make my heart to beat fast. So far, long distance runnng is the only way that work for my aerobic.

If I can find any combat training that can be used to replace my distance running, I will.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-24-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    No need to disregard any of it. How about this question:

What is going to give me the most bang for my buck for the time invested?

If you train 3 hours a day the answer to this question may be very different than if you have 1 hour every other day to train.

For instance, a person that spends 1.5 hours per workout wrestling with people may need much less strength training than the person that does not wrestle at all. A person that does manual labor for a job will have very different attributes from one that works on a computer. How you train your art dictates what you need to supplement your training with.
    Agree with those factors.

The answer to your question is very simple. We don't have training partner 24/7. When we train at home along, we can use special weight equipments to simulate our training partners and get the most benefit out of it.

When I

- do my bench press, I feel guilty because I think I'm just doing it for my "health".
    - twist my water container, I don't feel guilty becuse I know I'm training for my "combat".

I'm not a "training TCMA for health" person. I do value "combat development" to have much higher priority than my "health maintence". The day that I can replace my long distance running with my zigzag footwork training,

the day that I'll have no more "guilty" feeling. I haven't tried to use that footwork to finish 4 miles yet.
    there is only 1 way to simulate actual combat: that is with a partner and actually doing the sport/art, everything else is just general training, unless you are being attacked by a water container it is not the same as actual combat, it does not move as your opponent does, it does not react as he does it does not make you respond as you would in a fight

basic weight training allows you to work the muscles used in combat and overload them to make them stronger, you then do the actual art/sport to make that general strength more sports specific

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Frost,

Let us look at the wrist roller. It can be used for strength development as we all know. But if I use that same session to mentally train grabbing and twisting with that device while still being progressive with strength training modalities, there is no loss in either.

mickey
    that example is an isolated movement training a specific muscle, using the same method just a different intent
    we are talking about replacing general compound movements: squat bench deadlift with sports like movements, pulley throws, water container moving (apparently)

so your example doesnt really fit

Greetings,

There were some absolute statements made about strength training (there was no differentiation between compound and isolated) and martial training in this thread, as if there were two distinct areas of focus. My example proves otherwise. It is the mental objective of the practitioner that blows that argument to hell and this has already been politely stated.

mickey

Greetings,

There were some absolute statements made about strength training (there was no differentiation between compound and isolated) and martial training in this thread, as if there were two distinct areas of focus. My example proves otherwise. It is the mental objective of the practitioner that blows that argument to hell and this has already been politely stated.

mickey
    actually to quote the first response to this thread
    "Normal, ie" general strength training, strengthens to WHOLE of your body as a unit, which in short HELPS with specific strength training.[/QUOTE]"

and on the second page

"A CLassical STRENGTH one tends to focus on heavy COMPOUND moves that work the whole of the body AND the CNS. "

if you dont think we are talking about compound and not isolated lifts...when several posters also mentioned the deadlift (a compound lift) then well lord
    knows what you are reading

and your point still doesnt stand because its the same exercise with a different mental exercise, its not like the example YKW used of benching and moving a water container is it......

Hello Frost,

I am responding to this statement made by sanjuro ronin:

"Strength training has NOTHING to do with combat/fighting training.
    ZERO."

It was in response to a statement made by YKW with regard to his mindset with a particular exercise.

It really caught my attention because things are not that black and white. My posts addressed that.

mickey

Hello Frost,

ZERO."

It was in response to a statement made by YKW with regard to his mindset with a particular exercise.

It really caught my attention because things are not that black and white. My posts addressed that.

mickey
    I agree that things aren't so black and white BUT the reality is that ST has nothing to do with combat training, if it did then the strongest would be the best fighters WITHOUT having to fight.

NOTHING build overall strength better than compound moves with progressive resistance, examples being power lifting and Olympic lifting and strong man competitions where the strongest people in the world are.
    This has been proven over and over that is truly a fact that is undisputed.

Yet none of that directly translated to fighting prowess.

The guy with the biggest numbers on the bench press does NOT have much punching power at all UNLESS He is trained to, well, punch.

I know marathon runners and triathletes that gas out in minutes in the ring or on the mat.

NO conditioning training = fighting prowess UNLESS it is directly done while "fighting".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hello Frost,

ZERO."

mickey
    my bad i thought you had responded to me
    strength is an attribute, just as conditioning is, neither makes you a fighter directly but both can make a trained fighter a better fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    my bad i thought you had responded to me
    strength is an attribute, just as conditioning is, neither makes you a fighter directly but both can make a trained fighter a better fighter
    Quite so.
    No training other than fighting ( and the associate drills that go with it) are directly combat oriented.
    You can train to have the fastest hands ever and that won't mean much if you don't know how to use them in a fight.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !