Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WSL Ving Tsun - Sifu Cliff Au Yeung - Blindfold Gor Sau Training

WSL Ving Tsun - Sifu Cliff Au Yeung - Blindfold Gor Sau Training

Thought ill just throw this in the mix enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5bSRb-3TQ

Impressive

Thanks for sharing!

[QUOTE=Jansingsang;1240877]Thought ill just throw this in the mix enjoy

He is a good guy.But blindfold chi sau is sort of passe(sp?)

I personally cannot see any point in this type of training.

What is it trying to prove/develop?

For me its not good Ving Tsun.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I personally cannot see any point in this type of training.

What is it trying to prove/develop?

For me its not good Ving Tsun.
    Not really a fan myself but his one of the Big boys excuse the pun And he wants to show off a bit What ? well

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    Not really a fan myself but his one of the Big boys excuse the pun And he wants to show off a bit What ? well
    I have met Cliff a few times. He is a great guy and good fun to socialize with but his VT is not for me.

I have met Cliff a few times. He is a great guy and good fun to socialize with but his VT is not for me.
    Fair enough you know what pushes your buttons in VT All a matter of preference too each individual I thought ill throw it in as it can be a topic of discussion

Too be fair Sigung Wsl did do this drill what we must ask our self is whats the real significance of its use ? Is it about Sensitivity of the arms to redirect the force of energy? Or If you get poked in the eyes you can still F@#k them up just like in Warriors two Or is it just a Show off Drill

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    Too be fair Sigung Wsl did do this drill what we must ask our self is whats the real significance of its use ? Is it about Sensitivity of the arms to redirect the force of energy? Or If you get poked in the eyes you can still F@#k them up just like in Warriors two Or is it just a Show off Drill
    Yes Sigung did do this drill. There could have been many reasons why. It may all be smoke and mirrors. That's normal in Wing Chun.

Fundamentally you have to ask what it will develop. For people that think that Ving Tsun is about gluing themselves on each others arms this drill will have its place. In real fighting there is no prolonged contact. There is no time to chase the the arms like is taught in most schools. IMO this is another drill that only works between two cooperating training partners and does little to increase ones prowess in a real fight. We were given eyes for a reason and they are the most important thing you will need when somebody is trying to bash your head in. Why waste time with blind folds.

One could argue that maybe it was used to tease the CLF guys. Who know's?

Blindfolded chi sau training is nonsense IMO and only adds to the arrogance that Wing Chun guys think they can fight that way and/or it develops any real skill.

I was taught in the past that if you could develop the ability to "bridge" get control of the arms and use the opponents force against them with your sight restricted that it should make it easier when sight is restored. I have since recognized the error in that way of thinking and firmly believe that that whole idea is absolute BS!

Blindfold or not.... There were many bad habits present in his footwork that would get him into trouble against a competent fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    Where I have seen WSL demo blindfolded, it seems it is to show how in VT we use Lat Sao Jik Chung, rather than as a parlour trick.

ie here @ 2:45 ish.

http://youtu.be/KkbJnQbkxHk
    Rather than speculate I'll drop Philipp a message.

Cliff is good but I think this is just silly martial arts stuff, PR. Hard to see the benefit. I'm sure he would say that himself if you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Cliff is good but I think this is just silly martial arts stuff, PR. Hard to see the benefit. I'm sure he would say that himself if you asked.
    PR stuff would be my guess but then why sell an idea that doesn't make much sense or has any benefit in developing Kung fu skills? Any logical thinking person would think it's absurd.

Ving Tsun evolves. Maybe this is one of those things that should remain in the past.

Its a useful tool, nothing more. Don't take it as a way of fighting but a simple drill to lep you.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

PR stuff would be my guess but then why sell an idea that doesn't make much sense or has any benefit in developing Kung fu skills? Any logical thinking person would think it's absurd.

Ving Tsun evolves. Maybe this is one of those things that should remain in the past.
    Yes, probably a miss reading of current martial arts climate. Maybe a cultural aspect to it? Who knows?

WSL certainly did a few PR type things in his time which look a bit dodgy looking back now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    Its a useful tool, nothing more. Don't take it as a way of fighting but a simple drill to lep you.
    Please explain what it helps