Thread: Question about the sparring in this video

Question about the sparring in this video

In this video Rory Macdonald is sparring with the new Middle weight champion Chris Weidman. Weidman is the one without the helmet on. I realize they're probably not hitting each other that hard but why isn't Weidman wearing a helmet? Why take the risk of catching a hard shot to the head or getting your nose broken when you make so much money fighting for real? Maybe they are barely using any power.

Rory has a fight coming up this weekend so I understand why he's wearing the helmet.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv9iA6endxk
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 07-23-2013 at 05:44 PM.

You can still get ko'd with head gear and those boxing head gear don't protect against broken noses. Most guys don't wear head gear. The only times I wear head gear is 2 weeks before a fight to prevent cuts and hematomas.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    In this video Rory Macdonald is sparring with the new Middle weight champion Chris Weidman. Weidman is the one without the helmet on. I realize they're probably not hitting each other that hard but why isn't Weidman wearing a helmet? Why take the risk of catching a hard shot to the head or getting your nose broken when you make so much money fighting for real? Maybe they are barely using any power.

Rory has a fight coming up this weekend so I understand why he's wearing the helmet.
    hang on you think they are barely using any real power there, and not hitting each other that hard...

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post

Actually it's pretty normal. Most pros spar without headgear in a normal situation. This was a lighter round - it's actually a nice pace - one that will get the heart rate up, keep technique sharp, and yet not have all the power that could keep Rory out of a fight. They have some power, but this round is one my coach would call out as "speed no power" as instructions at the beginning.

Within 2 weeks of a fight, headgear is usually worn simply because a slip and a cut eyebrow could put someone out of a payday.

Outside of the 2 week margin, they go harder but I think that sparring partners are really controlled to people they know well, people they bring in as sparring partners, etc. so that the risk of injury is less. Still, there are plenty of fights that get canceled over injury (ex: girls TUF Cat Zingano out - freak knee accident).

IMO they also want to develop their defense to harder attacks like the fight so they will not use the gear. Also, puffy headgear like Rory was wearing actually will act like a huge drum when you get popped with any power - it will amplify it, and it hurts.

a lot of people don't like headgear at all because they're not used to them. they cause blindspots. i wear headgear at all times due to contact lenses coming out from even light touches. in amateur fights, i always request headgear so the other guy must wear them too. if they're not used to them, i immediately have an advantage.