Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
So, to apply critical thinking to what you have said....I would reach the conclusion that you don't agree with the intent of my posting in this thread. I would assume that you are in the camp that believes that all one has to do is copy one's instructor, simply learn a collection of techniques, and spar a lot.
How you train depends on your goal. It is to preserve the system then copying your teacher and practicing the forms and drills is the way to go.

If your goal is to learn how to use your wing chun in fighting situations then you need to practice doing just that.

I hear learn a collection of techniques from time to time here as though this is a bad thing. We all learn the technical repertoire of wing chun just as anyone would do with any martial art. That repertoire is not a collection of techniques but a comprehensive way of moving and using your body to accomplish certain things. The tie that binds those techniques or what makes it comprehensive is not principles or concepts but purpose.

I would assume that you believe that one doesn't need to understand the concepts and theories behind Wing Chun, or use one's brain to try to understand how to apply Wing Chun in many widely varied situations. But I really don't believe that about you, because I know how you've posted in the past.
The principles or concepts of wing chun are very simple and it does not take deep thought to put them to use but you learn to do that by doing that not by intellectual process. It is the same for any martial art it is not worked out on a chalkboard but in the ring or on the mat. How did you learn to use your wing chun in chi sau? By doing lots of chi sau.