Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing

It is said that timing is: the selecting of the best time or speed for doing something in order to achieve the desired or maximum result.

The key word here is “desired”, based on the fact that it doesn’t make any difference on how fast or slow you may move, and to control someone’s timing is simply based on your opponent’s mind set, preferably within the idea of ‘shock’ or shocking your opponent offensively or defensively, in which there are many ways to accomplish this (shocking).

By shouting in between applications could be a very good approach in shocking your opponent, but if ones skill level is low and while shouting the shock could easily bounce back onto you and break your timing on entry or in defense. Another way is to attack the attack which will take time to master, because you must have good eye sensitivity to be able to jump on your opponent’s intent or simply just from using good ‘mon sao’ attacks. Those are just a few ways, but there are other ways to shock your opponent as well.

If you really want to understand timing and really want to feel what it’s all about from a fundamental standpoint, the best way to approach it is within the ‘phoon sao’ structure and while finding the weakest point within the cycle you will feel and experienced the true definition of this approach, from which you will develop a much higher understanding while developing it within applications.

I hope that this diagram could help those that are truly interested in developing the first step dealing with timing. I will make a clip on the things that I’ve just mention after I’ve been slung through the mud for a while.

http://www.detroitwingchun.com/btiming.png

Take care,

left click on the diagram to make it bigger.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    It is said that timing is: the selecting of the best time or speed for doing something in order to achieve the desired or maximum result.

The key word here is “desired”, based on the fact that it doesn’t make any difference on how fast or slow you may move, and to control someone’s timing is simply based on your opponent’s mind set, preferably within the idea of ‘shock’ or shocking your opponent offensively or defensively, in which there are many ways to accomplish this (shocking).

By shouting in between applications could be a very good approach in shocking your opponent, but if ones skill level is low and while shouting the shock could easily bounce back onto you and break your timing on entry or in defense. Another way is to attack the attack which will take time to master, because you must have good eye sensitivity to be able to jump on your opponent’s intent or simply just from using good ‘mon sao’ attacks. Those are just a few ways, but there are other ways to shock your opponent as well.

If you really want to understand timing and really want to feel what it’s all about from a fundamental standpoint, the best way to approach it is within the ‘phoon sao’ structure and while finding the weakest point within the cycle you will feel and experienced the true definition of this approach, from which you will develop a much higher understanding while developing it within applications.

I hope that this diagram could help those that are truly interested in developing the first step dealing with timing. I will make a clip on the things that I’ve just mention after I’ve been slung through the mud for a while.

Take care,
    Your diag. seems to imply pressure v pressure of arms ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Your diag. seems to imply pressure v pressure of arms ?
    I've showed no pressure or implied none whatsoever, only timing through softness when using this approach.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 08-22-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I've showed no pressure or implied none whatsoever, only timing through softness when using this approach.

Take care,
    Ok just trying to figure out the diag.

Talking Ok, that’s no problem

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Ok just trying to figure out the diag.

I’m sorry that you’re reading it wrong. What you are looking at is the right hand -or- side of your ‘phoon sao’ structure (facing, looking forward) and nothing more.

Take care,

Timing From the Pak Sao Set

Here’s a clip that I’ve made seven years ago dealing with timing in the ‘pak sao’ set, but I’ll make another clip using the chi sao/phoon sao set later on.

Take care,