Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimming no good for losing weight?

Swimming no good for losing weight?

Hi there!

I'm trying to decide whether to go with swimming or jumping rope as an aerobic workout to lose weight. I've worn down the cartilage in one of my big toes, so am thinking of discounting running, but think swimming or jumping rope may be good options. The only thing is, someone has suggested swimming is no good for losing weight, with the rationale being one doesn't sweat enough in the water or something. Any thoughts?

Greetings Gowgee,

Swimming is one of the best all round exercises one can do. While jumping rope is good, you need to pay attention to your toe -- it will really come into play when jumping up and down. And I don't think that is something you really want right now???

You may also check to see if there is some kind of footing you can wear in the water.

On the other hand, if you live in a safe area, you can always get a pair of good construction boots and do some powerwalking. Developed by the late Steve Reeves, a second edition of his book was recently put out.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.

have u tried eating less

I hear it does wonders

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Some intense bicycling could work. I recently rode my bicycle all day everyday for about half a week and I noticed results in my abs- make sure you get some challenging terrain like large rolling hills or in the mountains to push yourself. No matter how bad the uphill is keep pushing on. The circular motions of pedaling are also healthy for joints/ tendons etc. and mounting onto the bicycle is almost like horse stance.

Mickey and MarathonTmatt,

Thanks for the great suggestions! Mickey, I heard from an ex-boxer that you can jump rope on the balls of your foot rather than hyper extend the toes, but swimming seems the smarter option.

And Bawang,

Thanks for the insightful yet tongue in cheek suggestion. You've taken the correct and hit it out of the ballpark! Definitely got this as part of my plan.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    long fast walks, hiking, check the ratio of your food, you can do wonders by simply reducing carb intake...especially anything 'white'...but get rid of bread and pasta...eat more veggies, eat more protein.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    have u tried eating less

I hear it does wonders
    I had tried not to eating for 3 days. I lose 5 lb. Not sure what I lost was water or fat.

"8 miles walking" will be very good. In the 1st 4 miles, your body will detect your body problems. In your 2nd 4 miles, your body starts to fix your body problems.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-26-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    not eating at all triggers the body to start conserving calories.

eat breakfast, mostly protein, and you tell your body "there is plenty of food to be had'' and it doesn't start conserving. then, MOVE, man, MOVE!

there is the 'grazing' concept...but, doesn't work if you're grazing doritos or French fries. veggies, few fruits (hi sugar content), nuts, meat
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Why wood you go jumping?

Freudian slip ALERT:

"Why wood you go jumping?"

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    have u tried eating less

I hear it does wonders
    You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. A fairly significant workout is equal to like one or two beers. (Yes, I measure things in suds.)

For weight loss, get your intake under control. Once your new eating habits have become routine, then it's time to incorporate exercise. If you try to do both together at once, you may succeed. I just think this way has a higher chance of getting it right.

In direct response to your question, try not to worry so much about which exercise is better than another. The best is the one you stick with.

It's a bit surprising nobody here has mentioned the whole "swimming doesn't make you sweat, so it's not good" part of your post yet. If that is not a joke, I advise you to educate yourself in the rudiments of exercise science.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Freudian slip ALERT:

"Why wood you go jumping?"

mickey
    oh I see, would

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    long fast walks, hiking, check the ratio of your food, you can do wonders by simply reducing carb intake...especially anything 'white'...but get rid of bread and pasta...eat more veggies, eat more protein.
    Thanks Oso. Why is cutting out the carbs so important??

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    In direct response to your question, try not to worry so much about which exercise is better than another. The best is the one you stick with.

It's a bit surprising nobody here has mentioned the whole "swimming doesn't make you sweat, so it's not good" part of your post yet. If that is not a joke, I advise you to educate yourself in the rudiments of exercise science.
    madhusudan, I'm all ears! Do you have any suggestions for learning the basics of exercise science? Going into my 40s, I want to prevent injuries and make sure I'm doing things as well as possible.

I've been a jump roper and I've been a competitive swimmer, the only thing I've ever done that comes close to swimming for aerobic conditioning and weight loss is rowing and a certain form I learned a long time ago.

The best thing about swimming is, you can't injure yourself swimming, but you can get ear infections if you don't get the water out of your ears when you are done.