Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swimming no good for losing weight?

More and more science is proving that it isn't so much WHAT you eat but how much and, perhaps more importantly, GENETICS.
    Also, lack of stress.
    People that have lived over 100 years AND are active all have one thing in common:
    It is NOT exercise or certain foods or even where they live.
    It is genetics.
    It is keeping active ALL their life and especially their "senior years" ( which does NOT = exercise).
    Knowing how to "control" stress.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I tried my hand at a type of "hunter-gather" diet a while back.
    Basically you can eat only what is either "killable" (LOL) or can be gathered and cooked ( or eat raw).
    So, ex:
    Chicken, beef, fish, eggs is ok ( milk is a bit debatable since mammals don't drink milk when they can eat solid foods and I don't do milk anyways because I am lactose intolerant).
    Nuts, veggies and fruits is ok.
    As for cereals and grains, if it needs to be "processed" or "refined" from it's "natural state", it is a no-no.
    So, no pasta, breads, rice and so forth.

It was OK, I lost weight ( any change in diet that eliminates certain foods will do this from my experience) and felt good.

BUT, I like bread and pasta and rice !!

Moderation is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    More and more science is proving that it isn't so much WHAT you eat but how much and, perhaps more importantly, GENETICS.
    Also, lack of stress.
    People that have lived over 100 years AND are active all have one thing in common:
    It is genetics.
    It is keeping active ALL their life and especially their "senior years" ( which does NOT = exercise).
    Very true.

Also, there is attitude and expectation. I have heard some people in their mid-late 20s and 30s calling themselves 'old', and some in their 60s and 70s who look great, are mentally sharp and consider themselves 'young'. Over time, your beliefs of self-image become a self-fulfilling prophecy. When I was young, the whole 'mind-body connection' thing seemed either vague to me or like a bunch of hooey, but it is clear that they are inseparable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Very true.

Also, there is attitude and expectation. I have heard some people in their mid-late 20s and 30s calling themselves 'old', and some in their 60s and 70s who look great, are mentally sharp and consider themselves 'young'. Over time, your beliefs of self-image become a self-fulfilling prophecy. When I was young, the whole 'mind-body connection' thing seemed either vague to me or like a bunch of hooey, but it is clear that they are inseparable.
    If you train TCMA for

- health when you are 30, you are old.
    - combat when you are 70, you are young.

Most of my friends trained long fist when they were young. Now they all switch to Taiji or Bagua. I trained Taiji when I was young. Now I only train combat.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I tried my hand at a type of "hunter-gather" diet a while back.
    Basically you can eat only what is either "killable" (LOL) or can be gathered and cooked ( or eat raw).
    So, ex:
    Chicken, beef, fish, eggs is ok ( milk is a bit debatable since mammals don't drink milk when they can eat solid foods and I don't do milk anyways because I am lactose intolerant).
    Nuts, veggies and fruits is ok.
    As for cereals and grains, if it needs to be "processed" or "refined" from it's "natural state", it is a no-no.
    So, no pasta, breads, rice and so forth.

It was OK, I lost weight ( any change in diet that eliminates certain foods will do this from my experience) and felt good.

BUT, I like bread and pasta and rice !!

Moderation is the key.
    I love fad diets. They entertain me.

I don't know what's so hard about using a common sense diet. Just eat less processed foods. Leaner meats, eat more whole grain, fruits, vegetables, etc. it really is that simple. And if you happen to eat something "bad" once in a while it doesn't mean you've failed your diet. One meal doesn't make that much difference in the grand scheme.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Also, lack of stress.
    It is genetics.
    I think exercise helps a lot, but even just being active doing chores and the garden and stuff helps. This book is pretty good, talks about a lot of the topics http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Worlds.../dp/1569243484
    Maybe check it out from the library or something, I got it from a garage sale for $1.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I love fad diets. They entertain me.

I don't know what's so hard about using a common sense diet. Just eat less processed foods. Leaner meats, eat more whole grain, fruits, vegetables, etc. it really is that simple. And if you happen to eat something "bad" once in a while it doesn't mean you've failed your diet. One meal doesn't make that much difference in the grand scheme.
    Yep, agreed.
    Though I am on the fence about the "whole grains" thing...

Yep, agreed.
    Though I am on the fence about the "whole grains" thing...
    Essential amino acids - check.
    Essential fatty acids - check.
    Essential carbohydrates - no check.

I'm really digging running ultra low carb all day; the night before a weights workout, going carb/protein (90/10 ratio). Have dropped quite a bit of body fat (from 16 to 12% as of yesterday), have more energy, still appx 185#.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Essential amino acids - check.
    Essential fatty acids - check.
    Essential carbohydrates - no check.

I'm really digging running ultra low carb all day; the night before a weights workout, going carb/protein (90/10 ratio). Have dropped quite a bit of body fat (from 16 to 12% as of yesterday), have more energy, still appx 185#.
    And you can get all that they have from fruits and nuts and everything else...

I pretty much agree with the idea of moderation and eating whatever. Look at pictures of people from the 40s and 50s. Men were generally thin and wiry-strong. They mostly ate a diet of meat, veggies and potatoes, rice or pasta.

One of the things I tell myself that seems to work is: Do not indulge unless you have to. What I mean is, there are already enough holidays, birthdays and other occasions for beer, wine, cake and that extra plate of something special. I don't need to give in on a random Tuesday. If I keep to moderation most of the time, there's no problem with going overboard on those days.

However, do you think there's much to the claim that the wheat of today is different than it was back then due to selective breeding? I think it's been pretty much confirmed that the produce we get at chain grocery stores has had much of the nutrition bred out of it in place of commercially profitable traits like size, weight and early ripening.
    Last edited by madhusudan; 08-29-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: clarity

Take a look around your family. Providing you are not adopted that is.
    But if your family members are dying in their 60s or 70s, likelihood is high that so shall you. Exercise and healthful practice doesn't trump the genes you are born with. they will give you a better quality of life though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    But if your family members are dying in their 60s or 70s, likelihood is high that so shall you. Exercise and healthful practice doesn't trump the genes you are born with. they will give you a better quality of life though.
    Barring unforeseen illness of course, yes I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    In the spirit of debate, I respectfully offer a somewhat different take.

Genes are expressed in an environment. We can see this in how average height has increased in Asia after more protein and better general nutrition became available. As another example, smoking does not cause cancer. It creates an environment in which there is a higher likelihood that cancer may be expressed by your particular genes. Hence the anecdotal "My grandpappy smoked for 80 years and died in a car accident." So, while, "Exercise and healthful practice doesn't trump the genes you are born with" it can create a state in which 'negative' gene traits are not expressed.

If your family members die in their 60s or 70s and you live a similar lifestyle, in all likelihood you will too. If you live a much healthier lifestyle, your chances of a longer life have increased but are not guaranteed. Of course, barring trauma, as SR stated.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    In the spirit of debate, I respectfully offer a somewhat different take.

Genes are expressed in an environment. We can see this in how average height has increased in Asia after more protein and better general nutrition became available. As another example, smoking does not cause cancer. It creates an environment in which there is a higher likelihood that cancer may be expressed by your particular genes. Hence the anecdotal "My grandpappy smoked for 80 years and died in a car accident." So, while, "Exercise and healthful practice doesn't trump the genes you are born with" it can create a state in which 'negative' gene traits are not expressed.

If your family members die in their 60s or 70s and you live a similar lifestyle, in all likelihood you will too. If you live a much healthier lifestyle, your chances of a longer life have increased but are not guaranteed. Of course, barring trauma, as SR stated.
    I think we are all in agreeance. You are going another layer deeper and such though in regards to the element of evolution. At least the mutation, adaptation and survival of the fittest portion of it. Seeing as the genetic drift portion only occurs through sex and birth.
    Kung Fu is good for you.