Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce lee and choy lee fut

Blog Entries

Bruce lee and choy lee fut

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.z...o=146009#Photo

I don't know whether to believe this or admit its bull****. for one, i've never heard of choy lee fut being referred to as the "FOOK CLAN". but now there's a CLF book emerging from the bruce lee camp.....whats up with that?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Looks like its just an auction for a book he personally owned about clf
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Looks like a book on Tan Tui that he owned and made notes in.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

This is an auction for a book Bruce Lee gave to his friend Taky Kimura. Taky mistakenly calls it a CLF book but in reality its Tan Tui/Tom Toy.

Blog Entries
    ok that great to hear then. i thought it had to be a mistake. but since CLF is so popular and so is bruce lee, i thought they were trying to cash in on the fame of CLF.

Greetings,

The writing says .."darted foot clan"

Bruce Lee's Inscribed Choy Lay Fut Martial Arts Book. A 40-page instructional booklet with "Tan Tui Sect" written in Chinese on the front cover by Lee in pencil, and inscribed "The 'Six Forms from the darted foot Clan' is a long range Gung Fu. It is practiced and used to [sic] against more than one opponent, and is noted for its speed of footwork and the kicking technique." by Lee in blue ink on the title page. Lee studied the Choy Lay Fut technique regularly, and he used this booklet in the early '60s before he began developing and teaching his own Jun Fan Gung Fu style. The item is in Fine condition with some wear and toning, and some tears and stress along the spine that have been repaired with tape. Accompanied by LOAs from Taky Kimura and University Archives, and a COA from PSA/DNA.

With regard to the CLF reference. Was there Bak Sing Choy Li Fut on the West Coast during Bruce Lee's time? I ask because I saw a tv demo by one of the Lacey Masters and I saw Tan Tui technique.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-26-2013 at 07:55 AM.

hskwarrior,

My understanding is that Taky Kimura is getting old/ill and is selling off alot of the items Bruce gave to him over the years. This includes alot of gung fu manuals that Bruce would translate for him. My guess is there was some techniques or forms he wanted Taky to share with the Seattle Jun Fan Institute class. I have seen other auctions for books on Northern Mantis, Iron Palm, Judo, this Tan Tui book, and others.

Blog Entries
    With regard to the CLF reference. Was there Bak Sing Choy Li Fut on the West Coast during Bruce Lee's time? I ask because I saw a tv demo by one of the Lacey Masters and I saw Tan Tui technique.
    in america during bruce lee's time the only choy lee fut was Lau Bun's school.

Bruce Lee was friends with the Lacey Brothers back in Hong Kong during the high school years I believe.

Greetings,

I remember reading that, CLFNole.

There is nothing in that paragraph that says that he studied CLF in the USA.

mickey

EDIT: I am beginning to think that as was posted earlier that it was a mistake on Taky Kimora's part to associate the two schools.
    Last edited by mickey; 07-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.

It's not a Tan Tui book

The description says ""Tan Tui Sect" written in Chinese on the front cover by Lee in pencil".
    There is a big difference between that and just ""Tan Tui Sect" written in Chinese on the front cover", which is what it would say if it were an actual Tan Tui book.

Obviously Bruce Lee didn't actually know the difference between Chuo Jiao and Tan Tui because it is a Chuo Jiao Book and has nothing to with Tan Tui (or Choy Lay Fut).

Greetings,

Tea Serpent

The title of the book is Six Road Short Fist. It is more commonly known as Duan Da. It is the sister form to Tan Tui. Bruce Lee was correct with his categorization of this form with the Tan Tui Sect. Usually, this set is associated with the 12 line versions.

mickey

You're completely right, I think my dislike for Bruce Lee was affecting my memory.

Blog Entries
    That book has nothing to do with CLF. As far as I know, the last form that Bruce learned before he left HK was Gong Li Chuan. In the Chinese Connection movie, he did use one move from the Gong Li Chuan.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That book has nothing to do with CLF. As far as I know, the last form that Bruce learned before he left HK was Gong Li Chuan. In the Chinese Connection movie, he did use one move from the Gong Li Chuan.
    According to Siu Hon Sang, Gong Li Quan (Kung Lik Kune) was the first form he taught Bruce during their 1958-1959 training time. He went on to teach him Jie Quan, and Beng Bu Quan among elements of other things as well.

Which movement are you referring to in Chinese Connection? Thanks!