Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanda/Sanshou

I also trained at Wuhan sport uni. Pazman, perhaps we know each other.
    Sanda and San shou is the same thing. I did an official coaches course through the IWUF at WIPE two years go, and the official name is san shou, although everyone refer to it as san da.

I'll go check through my notes - we had a cool write up about it.

Happy new year

新年快乐, 恭喜发财
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Wuhan Sport University, eh? I'll look into it...or do you have any contacts? I'm interested in any info you can provide on this...what is the training like?
    Thanks.
    A unique snowflake

email me at technomantizzz@gmail.com or mantizzz@hotmail.com and I can put you in touch with the schools admissions person.

Wuhan TiYuan and Beiing Sports uni were the two original San Da schools who held the first san da tournament in 1958 (I think)
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Thanks for all the reply, i appreciate it. I apologise for the lack of response on my side, been busy with dragon and lion dance for CNY. I think I will go along with whatever the crowd i am in with. So annoyingly confusing.

Winterpalm, sorry, didn't see your reply.

There are several different groups to train with at the sports school here in Wuhan. I train with the "professional" team, though I am certainly not a professional player. If you have previous experience with sanda, full-contact kickboxing (muay thai, etc), or wrestling, this is the program you will want to do. If not, well, this program will certainly not hold your hand as you get accustomed to the training. The training is full-time, about 5 to 6 hours in a day, with Sunday as a holiday. Saturday afternoon you also "take a break" by playing soccer for a few hours. The conditioning and weight lifting sessions are awesome. The facilities are a little dirty and worn by Western standards, but never a problem. The leitai is actually really nice.

The training itself, though hard, is really fun. Most of the people there have a good attitude. Training sessions tend to focus on one skill set at a time.....boxing, kickboxing, wrestling from the clinch, take downs, or catches. There is ample sparring. Saturday morning are dedicated to mini "matches" on the leitai and they offer you a chance to go full-out, full contact. If you are interested in competing, these are good experience.

There is also the standard school program, and also a sanda club, which might be cheaper, more casual, and better for complete beginners. Ask the administration, I'm sure they can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Winterpalm, sorry, didn't see your reply.

There are several different groups to train with at the sports school here in Wuhan. I train with the "professional" team, though I am certainly not a professional player. If you have previous experience with sanda, full-contact kickboxing (muay thai, etc), or wrestling, this is the program you will want to do. If not, well, this program will certainly not hold your hand as you get accustomed to the training. The training is full-time, about 5 to 6 hours in a day, with Sunday as a holiday. Saturday afternoon you also "take a break" by playing soccer for a few hours. The conditioning and weight lifting sessions are awesome. The facilities are a little dirty and worn by Western standards, but never a problem. The leitai is actually really nice.

The training itself, though hard, is really fun. Most of the people there have a good attitude. Training sessions tend to focus on one skill set at a time.....boxing, kickboxing, wrestling from the clinch, take downs, or catches. There is ample sparring. Saturday morning are dedicated to mini "matches" on the leitai and they offer you a chance to go full-out, full contact. If you are interested in competing, these are good experience.

There is also the standard school program, and also a sanda club, which might be cheaper, more casual, and better for complete beginners. Ask the administration, I'm sure they can help you.
    The professional program sounds like something I would like to do if I go there for a bit....thanks!
    A unique snowflake

Sanshou

Wikipedia says "The emphasis of Sanshou is on realistic fighting ability."

What the heck is the rest of the martial arts emphasizing?

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post

well conditioning is supplemental and develops attributes that enable you to endure.

qigong is work as well within many a martial system.

sanshou is strictly about the fighting and leaves all that stuff out. straight up chinese kickboxing really.

some styles emphasize more yin activities, others more yang, some have balance.

sanshou is definitely a yang thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    well conditioning is supplemental and develops attributes that enable you to endure.

qigong is work as well within many a martial system.

sanshou is strictly about the fighting and leaves all that stuff out. straight up chinese kickboxing really.

some styles emphasize more yin activities, others more yang, some have balance.

sanshou is definitely a yang thing.
    "straight up"?

"straight up"?
    straight forward, kick/punch/throw using exercises that develop attributes to that end and spending most of your time doing focus drills and working with others, no sets, no qigongs, no incense, no altars, no couplets, no history lesson, no tedious formalities etc etc.

Like a burger without all the toppings.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

how to make lots of monehs

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Well fighting is only one aspect of the Martial Arts. Qi Gong is another aspect of it. History and Tradition is another. Forms practice is another. Physical fitness is another. Mental health is another. Competition is another, be it forms or reactionary. Development and teaching is another.......it goes on and on and on You get the idea right???

That is the beauty of martial arts, so many different facets. Don't be short sighted and think its only for fighting. Unless of course you are one of them macho - full of bravado - will kick anyone's a$$ - nothing better than ground and pound - end all be all MMA guy.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    end all be all MMA guy.
    Ha, not quite. I'm just looking to see if I'm missing something really important, who knows.

Blog Entries

Sanda/Sanshou

Kung Fu Sanda Sanshou - YouTube

The Sanda/Sanshou training has the following advantages:

- It's a stand up MMA and has kick, punch, throw. If you add BJJ, you will have everything that you need.
    - Your coach will teach you how to integrate kick, punch, and throw. You don't have to figure that out all by yourself.
    - You don't have to waste time in form and weapon training. You can devote all your time in combat training.
    - You can learn more complete kick, punch, throw skills than any single TCMA system that can offer you.
    - You will have a globel view toward combat. You will never say, "My style doesn't do this", or "This is against my style principle".
    - You don't have to worry about issues such as "Is this really Sanda/Sanshou?" or "What's the ancient Sanda/Sanshou DNA?"

I believe Sanda/Sanshou is the future for TCMA. For stand up game, what more do you want to learn?

Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-26-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I agree with everything you say.

I do think that some people see kungfu or TCMA as more than sports - which would still make the traditional systems relevant for those people - but yes - if martial combat is your thing then sanda or mma will probably best serve most people's needs.