Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanda/Sanshou

1. Don't go throwing down any challenges to Matt Hughes.

2. Kick some @ss in your ring fight.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    1. Don't go throwing down any challenges to Matt Hughes.

2. Kick some @ss in your ring fight.

it wont be a smart move but fun to watch, espn on the scene

hello ladies and gentlemen this rob smith here at the mall where ufc champ matt hughes is making an apperance.

in the background you see matt carrying ray accross the parking lot to slam him.

that will be a great site LOL
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

Merry, I highly respect you for your BJJ skills and the fact that you put them on the line in competition and are succesful while doing it. I highly respect the olympic gymnast, as you say. The power to do an Iron Cross... jeez. The Wushu form player .... beautiful.

What I don't respect is when competive sportsmen who fight under rules that fit their style, such as you can snap my arm but I can't break your nose .... or, I can punch you 10 times,but if you turn me on the 9th don't start beating me in the head .... or, like TKD, don't catch my kick .... don't punch my face ..... this is not fighting! This is a game with rules. Obviously, not everyone likes to play with fire. But don;t compare holding the match, flicking the lighter or a camp fire with a raving forest fire, a 10-story inferno. They are different. They require different aproaches.

One good bareknuckle shot to the chin negates a lifetime of sit ups, sprints and steroids. If you don't allow that shot you are not fighting. You're hiding in safety behind cushion rules. Some guys are real cowards .... that's point fighting. Some guys are warriors .... that's UFC. There's a whole lot in-between and then there is stuff outside of that. My master shattered someone coller bone with a bokken. Can you imagine grown men swinging solid wood bokkens (not shinei's) without gear? That is confidence in your technique. How many sit ups would you do to prepare for that?

As for the past .... I was in lousy shape. I was also living in a purgatory of seeing my master's technique but not having much of it and still be anxious to fight. I did condition for that match. I sparred in class for over an hour with rotating partners. Being in the ring is different.

Luckily, the past is the past. What I had is not what I have now.

Truthfully, although you may not believe it, my sentiments echo MK's

I wish you the best of luck in your ringfight, and I hope it's the beginning of a good path for you.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

i kind of see your point ray.

but those are the days of old. now sport fighting is big business or its becoming and it will become bigger since TUF is a big hit, no one wants to fight bare knuckle theres nothing to gain from it but i m tougher than you bragging rights, but whos wants that when you can go into a ring and beat someone and a few fights later you get an endorsment deal, more money to fight and open up your own school and produces in which in return brings you in more revenue.
    Last edited by Face2Fist; 12-01-2005 at 09:10 AM.

You have to be tough to do that kind of fighting .... and I'm not really tough. I hate to get hit. That's why when I found a style that's against trading blows, against conditioning yourself for a dig-in-and-dook-it-out kind of fight .... and can still beat someone ..... and the guys in his 60s ... than I new I found home for me.

But there are a lot of tough fighters out there. I had a guy e-mail me stoked that he took 4 or 5 good shots from me and remained on his feet..... didn't matter that his face swelled up like one of those clowns that you shoot water into on the boardwalk. To me, those guys are scary. That's crazy. They don't care.

Me? Please don't touch me.

Spoke to my master and heard what I knew but didn't want to hear .... it's not the right thing to do... to challenge the Champ while he's doing business. He's earned it. He trully has. So I'll go there and just talk to him and see what I can learn, propose a go with some of the fighters they have going out in Vegas when I'm there in Jan.

Tough pill to swallow because I did see it there for a second.... connecting a solid head shot while he shot in, right there in the parking lot. And then I wouldn't have to be so eager to fight. The point would be proven.

Not see easy I guess.

The good news is that I was truly open for that. Or him breaking my little punk arm for being so eager and missing my fight next week. I think a lot of it is that it's been too **** cold and dark to surf and the only thing I've had the past 45 days is fighting.

I'm glad I caught myself. Or that my master held the mirror up for me to see. Nothing is worth a clear conscious. Doing the right thing. Now I kind of regret the Emin Boztepe thing though I learned something from that too but apparantly forgot it. The professionalism thing. But what can be expected from an amatuer. A nobody who thinks he's somebody. Who feels something inside.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 12-01-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Spoke to my master and heard what I knew but didn't want to hear .... it's not the right thing to do... to challenge the Champ while he's doing business. He's earned it. He trully has. So I'll go there and just talk to him and see what I can learn, propose a go with some of the fighters they have going out in Vegas when I'm there in Jan.

Tough pill to swallow because I did see it there for a second.... connecting a solid head shot while he shot in, right there in the parking lot. And then I wouldn't have to be so eager to fight. The point would be proven.
    He wouldn't have taken your challenge anyway. That's what we keep trying to tell you.

1. He is matt hughes. you are nobody. He knows that there is like a 90% chance or greater that he would crack your spine.

2. he is matt hughes, you are nobody. Consequently, what do you have to lose? Nothing. If you lose, then it's "c'mon, it was matt hughes, what did you expect?" He on the other hand has something to lose and nothing to gain. if he beat you, then he just beat some other pro fight wannabe. He may even lose respect for pounding somone that he knew he outclassed. on the other hand, if he loses, he just got upset by a nobody - and he didn't even make any money off of it.

3. what have you done to deserve a shot at hughes? you have to work your way up to the big fish. right now, you're still just a bass in the pond, so how can you challenge sharks in the atlantic?

But what can be expected from an amatuer. A nobody who thinks he's somebody. Who feels something inside.
    If you truly feel that way, then do what you need to do to earn a shot the correct way.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

thats the funniest thing i have heard in a while. ray challenging matt hughes, thats some funny sh*t.

and he wonders why people pick him? come on look at the things you say.

I'm not doing it because I see it's not the proper time and place. Not because as a martial artist I don't have the right to request a match with another martial artists. If he wants to put himself on a peddastal as a sport fighter, he can.

But you're making this man into something other than flesh and bone. In fact, he's smaller than me and not a striker. I know he's a great wrestler. I have a friend Allen who was Marc Kerrs team mate in college. 215lbs, very skilled. I know guys who train with Gracie. Skill is skill.

A man is a man. As soon as you put someone above you like that you have no business fighting them. That's no attitude to go into a fight. I don't put anyone but my master above me. So I'll fight anyone but my master.

At the same time, I'm aproaching the man I'm fighting next week with the same caution I'd aproach Matt Hughes with. Anything can happen in a fight. One good shot and lights out .... and then you're at the other guy's mercy if he stomps you or not.

I've seen lots of people win fights who should have lost.

This messageboard is a terrible example of martial ettiquet and thinking. Think about it. What if an outsider were to come here. He'd think only the big, young conditioned could beat the older, older, less conditioned. That the guy who is 12-5 automatically wins over the guy who is 9-7.

Where is the spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    I'm not doing it because I see it's not the proper time and place. Not because as a martial artist I don't have the right to request a match with another martial artists. If he wants to put himself on a peddastal as a sport fighter, he can.

But you're making this man into something other than flesh and bone. In fact, he's smaller than me and not a striker. I know he's a great wrestler. I have a friend Allen who was Marc Kerrs team mate in college. 215lbs, very skilled. I know guys who train with Gracie. Skill is skill.

A man is a man. As soon as you put someone above you like that you have no business fighting them. That's no attitude to go into a fight. I don't put anyone but my master above me. So I'll fight anyone but my master.

At the same time, I'm aproaching the man I'm fighting next week with the same caution I'd aproach Matt Hughes with. Anything can happen in a fight. One good shot and lights out .... and then you're at the other guy's mercy if he stomps you or not.

I've seen lots of people win fights who should have lost.

This messageboard is a terrible example of martial ettiquet and thinking. Think about it. What if an outsider were to come here. He'd think only the big, young conditioned could beat the older, older, less conditioned. That the guy who is 12-5 automatically wins over the guy who is 9-7.

Where is the spirit?
    ray,

matt hughes is a well rounded fighter, he has good hands, smaller in height maybe, but the man walks around at 180 + so that is not that small, also he is a very strong fighter.

so martial etiquette is going to a man's home and challenging him? quickly calling people out when they disagree with you?

like sevenstar said youre not up to his level and he wouldnt give you the time of day. second just because you visualize hitting him as he is going for a shoot doesnt mean its going to happen, these guys train shoots, like thai fighters train kicks, i seen wrestlers shoot as fast as thai fighters kicks.

I would be much, much more afraid of Matt Hughes than Emin Boeztepe. Hughes is a beast.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

You guys have lost before you even show up. Or, won't show up because you have already lost.

Aren't you training to stop the shoot? To stop striking?

What, you can't stop Matt Hughes shoot because he's Matt Hughes? How much faster is he than you? He's not bigger than 400lbs Jim from Philly who visits my master occassionally. He's a man with arms and legs. He's tough, no doubt about it. Anyone who shows up to throw fists and dodge fists with violent intent it.

The reason he's Matt Hughes is because he wasn't scared of the name that was above him when he was a nobody. Everybody starts off as a nobody. It's what you do to become somebody.

Now I can't wait to go shake this man's hand.

Believe me. I know who I am. I'm a young man with a fight next weekend and no one in my corner .... literally. Me, my camera, mouthpiece, headgear, shin guard and cup. That's my camp.

Matt Hughes was an All American college wrestler and I believe two-time NCAA champion. He is in the upper-eschelon of wrestlers.

I'm not in the upper-eschelon of anything.

Knowing when to fight is just as important as knowing how to fight.

I'm sure your master is a tough guy. He's only flesh and bone. Why do you think he is unbeatable on the street?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 12-02-2005 at 08:39 AM.

Never said he is unbeatable. I don't think anyone is unbeatable. What he is is hard to beat .... at 65 years of age ... at a very short stature, with extra short arms. How? Why?

Technique and power. That's what every style says it supplies but I don't think that is always the case. Usuable technique. Usable power. I'm not sure bench pressing is usable power for figthing. When do you get uqually balanced weight resisting ----><------- this way in a fight.

But I degress.

I have a friend who's about 215lbs. He was on the same collegiate team as Mark Kerr. Also an all America. We rolled a few times on the beach. He definitely had sensitivity and power. That's all of fighting. Can you "feel" what's happening. Do you have the power or finesse to create an opportunity.

Sometimes the other knows more or something foreign to you ... you're probabaly going to loose.

When you both know .... then you see who's better.

I think I can say I have played with pretty much every style of fighting out there. That's how I found my master. Now, having played with BJJ and having Gracie's school just as distant as my masters, so many Thai and other boxing gyms, including Gleasons, near by .... why do I go to my master? Because FOR ME, it makes the most sense. Seems the most practical. If a small man of 65 can use his stuff ..... not be the best, not be undeafeted .... fight the young guy. Then what if I can start getting his stuff now at 31? What by 35? What by 40? I'm only 3 years into his training. I through everything else away.