Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Sanda/Sanshou

OVERCOME HESITATION AND YOUR OPPONENT

Pugil stick training is the first time recruits face an opponent in close combat during recruit training. They learn to act despite fear. It is a crucial step in their transformation from civilian to warrior.

Pugil sticks are heavily padded poles used to simulate melee combat. These weapons are an effective and safe way for recruits to develop the intensity, confidence and combat techniques of a Marine. They will learn how to decisively engage and defeat their opponent.
    Key concept there. Decisively engage and defeat the opponent.

What methods do others use for that?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That's my question. How?
    how?

There are 3 elements you are aware of.

Guts, strength and conditioning, technique.

You train for violence with these. To get guts, face your fears and overcome them. If you can't do that, you will have a hard time making violence.

strength and conditioning, there are myriad ways to train this.

technique, pick a style or 2, work.

That's how you do it. You cannot train to answer every variable of an assault, but you can train everything you need to be violent without sport.

You want to train with weapons? Take up kendo or join a dog brothers group and suit up and beat the crap out of each other. This is a study of action/reaction and movement more than it is any sort of sport.

Sport is always safe, training is always safe. there is element of risk, but not much. Who you are as a person, your experience etc all of that defines your character and probably has some measure of effect on how you will act in a given situation. This is also a factor in your ability to make violence.

There's nothing wrong with sport, it is what it is. But if that's all you can do to train violence, so be it. that's all you can do.

you can develop weapon retention skills by smashing at object with a weapon. You can learn what wounds and what kills by understanding physiology and anatomy.

It ain't all just hitting at a bag, sparring and lifting weights.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I use a combination of those two as a training exercise for the students.

They stand with one foot inside the small circle at basketball center court. They have 3 seconds to take the other guy out with their attack.

Anybody that steps or runs outside of the bigger circle loses. Single shots and playing tag loses. You can win only by landing a solid combination or takedown first.

This gets them away from the point sparring tag game that a lot of people do. Also trains them to be able to instantly turn on their aggression. Also, gives them a chance to develop ability in avoiding direct force while staying in close to counterattack. They also find out that 3 seconds is a very long time.
    This is very cool, I like this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

It ain't all just hitting at a bag, sparring and lifting weights.
    The sport adopted the name San Shou, but it's also a term, at least in our school, that's used to describe combat application. It doesn't matter whether it's in sport, sparring, challenges, playing hands, or self defense. It's used in a very similar way as the term "Shiai" in Judo.

traditional lei tai is different from sanda.

sanda is professional sport with sportsmanship. lei tai is where you get a crowd to gather, then ask if anyone is man enough to fuk wit u. its 100% amateur, spontaneous, low skilled, and brutal.

the fighting skill is a lot lower in lei tai. the main purpose is to prove your manhood and shed blood.

on the other hand there a lot of similarities, such as doping, fixed matches, bribing. doping is 100% allowed in traditional lei tai, you can take any narcotic. lots of Taoist great strength pills are narcotics.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    traditional lei tai is very different from sanda.

sanda is professional sport with sportsmanship. lei tai is where you get a crowd to gather, then ask if anyone is man enough to fuk wit u. its 100% amateur, spontaneous, low skilled, and brutal.

the atmosphere of a traditional lei tai gathering is very different from sanda. the fighting skill is a lot lower in lei tai. the main purpose is to prove your manhood and shed blood.
    Last year an old shifu did that in the park where my teacher also teaches and he broke a young guy's arm. I have heard the old man had to pay him 40,000 yuan (if I remember correctly)
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 07-30-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Last year an old shifu did that in the park where my teacher also teaches and he broke a young guy's arm. I have heard the old man had to pay him 40,000 yuan (if I remember correctly)
    he prolly told the young guy to relax and suckered him. tai chi guys have told me to relax, then tried to break my arm, break my knee, kick my groin, and punch the back of my head. I am more relaxed around black people than tai chi people.

I was younger and viewed every kung fu guy as my brother. now if someone try anything funny, I fuk him. if anyone try to tell me my style is inferior, I tell him fuk off, or hes going to have difficulty. now even mma people is scare for me.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 08:10 AM.

he prolly told the young guy to relax and suckered him. tai chi guys have told me to relax, then tried to break my arm, break my knee, kick my groin, and punch the back of my head.
    Not a taichi guy probably something external. I haven't been to that place for a long time.

On the other hand some people like my shishu do that in heiquan and make that money.

Not a taichi guy probably something external. I haven't been to that place for a long time.

On the other hand some people like my shishu do that in heiquan and make that money.
    this is common practice in tai chi xingyi bagua. tell people you will demonstrate something, then sucker them.

some people are weak but want to dominate and control others, and find internal as a good way. but show force and they will scatter like cokroaches.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 08:16 AM.

this is common practice in tai chi and wing chun. tell people you will demonstrate something, then sucker them.
    sucker punch is the essence of "real" fighting.

sucker punch is the essence of "real" fighting.
    only if you knock me out. tai chi people sucker punch me, but never knock me out. I get mad and hold back my hand, they immediately stop say they are "tired". the next day they blog about defeating a famous master.

internal people are too funny, if you really be tough they will do nothing. I spit their face, they do nothing. I say, you look like woman, I want to fuk now. they do nothing. I can see them visualizing beating me up, killing me, but they do nothing. this is the essence of real internal fighting. they fight internally, in their imagination.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 08:24 AM.

traditional lei tai is different from sanda.

on the other hand there a lot of similarities, such as doping, fixed matches, bribing. doping is 100% allowed in traditional lei tai, you can take any narcotic. lots of Taoist great strength pills are narcotics.
    this is common practice in tai chi xingyi bagua. tell people you will demonstrate something, then sucker them.

some people are weak but want to dominate and control others, and find internal as a good way. but show force and they will scatter like cokroaches.
    Oh, ABSOLUTELY! 37 Championships from 1981 to 2000 and down to the last man.. dopers every one of them! And every victory won through a sucker punch!!

Be sure to watch the slow motion close ups at the end to see that sucker punch in each fight that won the day!

At least you're right about the contests being for amateurs only. So ya got that goin' for ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMus0p-_N8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLq6FXvgtRE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47UfJd3g0k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yviiLACfjK8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a4H_iMoEAE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CikExyDNPRQ
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

During the 19th and early 20th century, Western boxing had a great many rounds. It was not unusual to see fights go for 25 to 30 rounds (if not more). Do you think the quality of the fighting was that good for such an extended format? I think not.

mickey
    Those fights that went 25-30 were not usually timed rounds like we have today of 3 minutes each. When a fighter went down on a knee or was knocked down or thrown/tripped it counted as a round and a restart in bareknuckle boxing.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

This is true Kevin73,

A round could last much longer that 3 minutes, or even shorter.

There is a record of a match lasting over 100 rounds. It was pretty much an all day fight.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    Oh, ABSOLUTELY! 37 Championships from 1981 to 2000 and down to the last man.. dopers every one of them! And every victory won through a sucker punch!!

Be sure to watch the slow motion close ups at the end to see that sucker punch in each fight that won the day!

At least you're right about the contests being for amateurs only. So ya got that goin' for ya.
    do you have a cactus stuck to your face, im talking about traditional lei tai hundreds of years ago. not the Taiwan lei tai.

its good for your students to have competed, but you haven't changed anything in the kung fu world.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.