Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ankle ligament tear

ankle ligament tear

Soooo I tore my Superior and Inferior Fibular Retinacula. I got into one PT session, but my insurance doesn't cover PT so I went in out of pocket to get some ideas.

I figured I would come to you fine folk here and see if there is any additional advice I might need.

I'm using a resistance band to flex my ankle in four directions, 10 reps, 4 sets. I've also started riding my bike to and from work instead of skateboarding...in addition I'm taking opportunities to stand on that one leg when I can...brushing teeth, shaving, putting on shoes, etc.

I feel like I should be able to facilitate my own recovery all right going forward like this. I initially injured the ankle coming out of a jump. I was fatigued at the time and just kept pushing stupidly and came down, ankle roled hard to the inside, popped, yada yada. Made sure nothing was broken, finished training with adjustments, went home. woke up to massive swelling and throbbing pain.

Soaked, wrapped, acupuncture the next day, with some follow ups a couple times after.

fast forward two weeks, like a super genius i started skating again. was busy looking at a pretty girl, hit a pine cone, went flying, reflexes caused me to catch myself on bad ankle, rolled it again, went down and took a concusion.

I went to see a podiatrist for diagnosis of my ankle. My primary concern is that he told me with an injury like mine (and i cannot remember the technical terms) there is a risk during rehabilitation that the nerves that send the messages to the brain to let the ankle make proper adjustments for balance, etc. can be damaged and if proper care is not taken, these pathways may not make a recover and can cause the injury to happen again more easily.

Over the years I have rolled my ankles several times, however it's never been to this degree. I'm sure age has an influencing factor.

I know there are some pretty knowledgable people here who may be able to let me know if there are any additional steps I should take to help myself make as complete a recovery as possible.

I've taken a bit of time off from training at the school, but will be starting training again next week, now that my ankle can support my weight, and has a bit of mobility again. I plan to buy an ankle brace to wear while I train.

Any additional advice would be welcome.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Oh also, when i flex my toes up toward my knee, there is a popping on the inside between my heel and the ankle joint. there is also a constant very small bruise in that spot. When i wake up i cannot flex my foot up at all. When i walk around after waking, that place give a nice healthy pop, then i can flex my foot up from that point on. but each flex causes a minor popping.

the doc was basically like:

'thats weird'
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Greetings Lucas,

I would seriously press your podiatrist about what "proper care" is before you have to walk in spirals to get from one place to another, like an escapee from a roach motel.

What exercises did the PT offer?

Is anyone recommending rest? I ask because working through an injury does not make any sense.

Are you mentioning the bruise thing to your podiatrist?

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-26-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Before providing accurate medical advice here, I would need to gather a bit more information, so if you would be so kind to answer the following which would help us all help U, cause that's what we're here for.

1) If you're over 30, WTF you riding a skateboard for? Wanna be?????
    2) Are you Tim Hudson?
    3) You obviously suffering from lingering effects of your concussion, so why not detail that injury as it's the more serious one.
    4) What weight training protocol are you using?
    5) Lastly, walk it off!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

@Brule

1. ive been riding for 21 years.

2. no

3. meh.

4. monkey bars

The advice your PT gave you is exactly the same - exactly - as what I was told with a similar injury. So, it seems to be the standard.

Mickey:

I showed the doc the bruising and explained the symptoms, he pretty much just said that its likely some resistance with the tendon there from swelling due to the injury itself...idk im medically ignorant.

the PT gave me a resistance band and gave me four directions of flex i mentioned im doing...rest was talked about but its been a few weeks so i feel like the rest period is over and its time to put im some work to keep the ankle active and regain motion and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    The advice your PT gave you is exactly the same - exactly - as what I was told with a similar injury. So, it seems to be the standard.
    oh okay, thanks! It seems like i'm on the right road then.

I will say, though, that if the injury is as severe as it sounds, you may want to rethink all the activity you're doing. Biking to work, training, etc. Focus on recovery for now. Just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    @Brule

1. ive been riding for 21 years.

2. no

3. meh.

4. monkey bars

1. Give it up already, ya hippie !

2. Lucky you, his ankle is really effed up.

3. Ok

4. Add trampoline

5. Eat more beef tendon and lay off the granola.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Right. I've been using the biking as a form of light ankle work. i'm riding at a casual pace and not pushing too hard. its a challenge cuz i dig the speed and have a hard time not pushing my limits, but it feels healthy so far.

i plan on using the training as a form of rehabilitation also. the school i attend has a very open minded approach to training. working with injuries, and limitations to develop a healthy body is one element of focus if you are in that limited position. my sifu also operates a clinic of his own where i have had some work done; jow soaking, acupuncture, setting etc.

i feel pretty comfortable going back to gongfu based on a previous joint injury that was pretty severe and has been developed back to working order through work with my sifu.

he also helps me with concusions. lol

lol brule i'm actually really considering it.

its a lot of fun though, plus there is a very zen aspect to skating that i really enjoy. its such an 'in the moment' activity. you ride the line of bodily injury almost the entire time so its a great tool for focus and balance, plus its a constant on hands weapon in disguise!!

Greetings,

I second the beef tendon.

I suggest you progress to a stronger resistance band.

I also have issue with your activity level. Why break yourself down when you need to build yourself up?

mickey

What do you suggest i set my activity level to? Strictly working on my own PT until I have a certain degree of health back in my ankle?

Just as a point of reference, I do not drive. Skating has been my means of transportation until my ankle injury, at which point I began walking to work. I started cycling again to cut 40 minutes off of my commute

Goodness, man,

I am at a loss considering how you travel. If you could carpool, you would be doing it already.

mickey