Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ankle ligament tear

Ya...man power isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I save a lot of money not driving, but you miss a giant convienience that motorized transportation can give you.

i think i may just finance a new motorcycle...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Would a motor scooter be more to your liking? As in more aligned with your lifestyle, since your injury is a temporary one?

mickey

I would but unfortunately im not ghey.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It is a whole lot cheaper than a motorcycle. You know what you need.

mickey

I've been wanting a new bike for a while. I got on this man power kick for the past decade or so but I think I'm done for the most part.

I've had my eye on the 2013 suzuki sfv650 for a little while now. It's pretty cheap, and financing in todays market is some really cheap money so I think i'll treat myself. its only $8000.

Last edited by Lucas; 07-26-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Hi,

That is a really nice looking bike.

Have fun with it when you get it. Just don't do any girl watching while riding it.

mickey

Here's a question for the physical therapists here.

Why is the prescription for rehabbing injuries usually some type of isolation exercise? I'm assuming it is to strengthen all areas of the injured area. But, honestly it makes no sense to me.

We don't use any of our muscles, ligaments, or tendons in isolation. There are no movements that we are capable of that don't involved more than one muscle(that I'm aware of). So why are these movements prescribed?

Shouldn't loaded compound exercises be prescribed instead since that's what these body parts are designed for anyways?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Here's a question for the physical therapists here.

Why is the prescription for rehabbing injuries usually some type of isolation exercise? I'm assuming it is to strengthen all areas of the injured area. But, honestly it makes no sense to me.

We don't use any of our muscles, ligaments, or tendons in isolation. There are no movements that we are capable of that don't involved more than one muscle(that I'm aware of). So why are these movements prescribed?

Shouldn't loaded compound exercises be prescribed instead since that's what these body parts are designed for anyways?
    have u ever even been injured lolz

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    have u ever even been injured lolz
    Yes.

I rehabbed all three of my injuries using the Starr protocol. Which is loaded compound movements.

I also had a good friend that messed up his ankle in a similar fashion to Lucas. He used loaded compound exercises to strengthen his.
    Last edited by JamesC; 07-26-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Yes.

I rehabbed all three of my injuries using the Starr protocol. Which is loaded compound movements.

I also had a good friend that messed up his ankle in a similar fashion to Lucas. He used loaded compound exercises to strengthen his.
    ur injured part can spontaneously give out from trying to stabilize. if ur seasoned lifter no problem, but lucas is 30 year old skinny man who never lifted weights.

if u lift weights bill starr say u rehab wit the exercise that injured u, but lucas doesn't lift weights, it don't matter if hes not "functional"
    Last edited by bawang; 07-26-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    ur injured part can spontaneously give out from trying to stabilize. if ur seasoned lifter no problem, but lucas is 30 year old skinny man who never lifted weights.

if u lift weights bill starr say u rehab wit the exercise that injured u, but lucas doesn't lift weights, it don't matter if hes not "functional"
    No one said anything about being "functional."

And to suggest that someone is going to only get stronger from an isolation exercise is stupid. It doesn't matter if he lifts or not. Your body gets strong the same. Plus the fact that he skateboards tells me he is much stronger stabilizing with his lower legs than the average person. It's not like it happened from atrophy or detraining.

A loaded compound exercise doesn't have to be heavy. You can hold a 5lb weight in you hand and that makes it loaded.

rehab is tissue remodeling. don't matter if u isolate or use compound. for me doing wit the bar made me want to add weight too fast.

stabilizing takes concentration and when the weight goes up for me I cant pay as much attention to the injury.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-26-2013 at 11:48 PM.

If you're using a physical therapist they are the ones adding weight. And load bearing compound exercises are the best way to work on stabilization. That's what the foot does during those exercises. The most common issue after an ankle sprain is stabilizing. It probation has a lot to do with people trying to isolate muscles that don't need to be.

Strengthen it all at the same time in the manner in which you want it to get stronger.

Bummer man. No advice to give that hasn't been given, just don't rush it. One of my ankles does that popping thing too...just something to live with, I think. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

i've added doing single leg barefoot romanian deadlift with a dumbell on friday night, and started doing sumo deadlifts again at a light weight. the sumo feels pretty good, and safe. i'm also wearing an ankle brace when i work it. a friend suggested i do quarter squat jumps, and that also seems pretty good. i just have to be careful when i do the actual jump to go at a very light pace.

but because of the year i spent studying wing chun in 2008, my muscles have been in a constant state of atrophy so i cant lift more than 10lbs.