Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resources for 5 Shaolin families?

Resources for 5 Shaolin families?

I learnt at training that there has always been 5 families training within Shaolin. From what I could gather it was family meaning from master to disciple familiy, not meaning passed from father to son. Is there any recomended resources that anyone can point me in to read further?

5 families are 5 famous cantonese boxing families from futsan county in Guangdong province.

they are not shaolin. Chinese hillbilly kung fu has a habit of making false claims. my hometown has some hillbilly kung fu people who claimed wudang origin since 1800s but have nothing to do with wudang.

the 5 families are not famous in china, they are famous because the 1800 Chinese immigrants are all from futsan, and gave birth to Chinatown kung fu.

cantonese like to act like they are the "default" real Chinese. Guangdong (eastern bay) used to be called vietdong (eastern viet) and cantonese used to be called the viet people.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    cantonese like to act like they are the "default" real Chinese.
    If you are Chinese and you don't speak Cantonese, Chinatown waiters won't even serve you in restaurant.

In some WC threads discussion, I always use the word "Shou" and I refuse to use the word "Sau".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-29-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you are Chinese and you don't speak Cantonese, Chinatown waiters won't even serve you in restaurant.
    in my hometown we called the cantonese "kang ing" and "shi dang". because the cantonese boat prostitutes always say "come in" and "sit down"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

In some WC threads discussion, I always use the word "Shou" and I refuse to use the word "Sau".
    wing chun comes from the boat prostitute people called the dan.

Last edited by bawang; 07-29-2013 at 10:33 PM.

thank you youknowwho...... my pet hate is people using cantonese terminology when talking about "northern mantis" haha

Bawang, where is your hometown?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatsage View Post
    I learnt at training that there has always been 5 families training within Shaolin. From what I could gather it was family meaning from master to disciple familiy, not meaning passed from father to son. Is there any recomended resources that anyone can point me in to read further?
    You have heard a load of radishes my friend.
    teaching Kung fu is a Master to student transmission.

5 is an auspicious number though. In myriad ways.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Serpent View Post
    Bawang, where is your hometown?
    funing county Jiangsu province
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You have heard a load of radishes my friend.
    teaching Kung fu is a Master to student transmission.

5 is an auspicious number though. In myriad ways.
    hes talking about hung, loi, choi, mok, lau, the 5 elders from Chinatown kung fu
    Last edited by bawang; 07-29-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks bawang.
    I am sure I did not interpret what I heard at class properly, so what you have informed me is a great start to start researching.

I recommend you quit now and just learn from youtube. those Chinatown kung fu are very sh1tty.

Five Famillies

I recommend you quit now and just learn from youtube. those Chinatown kung fu are very sh1tty.
    The Five Family Style is a fantastic style. What what makes you or your style so great to pass judgement?

5 families are 5 famous cantonese boxing families from futsan county in Guangdong province.

they are not shaolin. Chinese hillbilly kung fu has a habit of making false claims. my hometown has some hillbilly kung fu people who claimed wudang origin since 1800s but have nothing to do with wudang.

the 5 families are not famous in china, they are famous because the 1800 Chinese immigrants are all from futsan, and gave birth to Chinatown kung fu.

cantonese like to act like they are the "default" real Chinese. Guangdong (eastern bay) used to be called vietdong (eastern viet) and cantonese used to be called the viet people.
    Is this the same Five Families style that GM Ark Wong taught in California or was there alot of instructors that did this back then?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Is this the same Five Families style that GM Ark Wong taught in California or was there alot of instructors that did this back then?
    I don't know what u Chinatown weekend warriors mean by five family style. Cantonese kung fu has five famous styles, taught by five families. this is basic knowledge, even retard should know this.

Five Family Style

Ignore Bawang. He is retarded with his negative childlike comments (no offense on real retarded people). I have not seen a post where he states his style and experience. Wonder why? His style is hillbilly mouth boxing.

Yes, the style is from Ark Wong. Any other instructors came from him.
    Last edited by kfman5F; 07-30-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kfman5F View Post
    Ignore Bawang. He is retarded with his negative childlike comments (no offense on real retarded people). I have not seen a post where he states his style and experience. Wonder why? His style is hillbilly mouth boxing.

Yes, the style is from Ark Wong. Any other instructors came from him.
    i train tai chi and long fist.

you are offended because you are not Chinese. you spent money and time, therefore it MUST be good.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 01:27 PM.