Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resources for 5 Shaolin families?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    funing county Jiangsu province

hes talking about hung, loi, choi, mok, lau, the 5 elders from Chinatown kung fu
    5 surnames of southern kung fu are not one style. YOu know this. I know this. hence what I said.

Hey Greatsage, are you talking about san soo and jimmy woo and his origin story?

5 families of south are: Hung, Li, Choy, Mok and Lau
    5 style of the North are: Hua, Fa, Pao, Cha and Hong

South five are family names, North 5 are concept names.
    Other styles are offshoots of these, pre conceived prior to these or singularly conceived after these.

Some will substitute "Fut" into the 5 southern and replace Mok or Lau with it to represent Fut gar or Buddha family.

Fwiw, I believe Ark Wong Yuey taught 5 animals style. The whole san soo group is the 5 family thing and I've recently learned that all came straight form Jimmy Woo who apparently was telling a story that his art was so old that somehow he had buddhist martial arts in there before buddhism even made it into china. So, there's that...

Otherwise, hate to rain on your parade, but Bawang is correct.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 07-30-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Five Family Style

i train tai chi and long fist.

you are offended because you are not Chinese. you spent money and time, therefore it MUST be good.
    You make unfounded assumptions. Not being Chinese has nothing to do with anything. There are good and bad teachers/students both Chinese and otherwise. But you already know that. Time and money well spent is worth it, no matter what one studies. In your line of thinking the time and money YOU spent on Tai Chi and Long Fist, they MUST be good. Goes both ways. Being Chinese does not make for a better martial artist.

Quote Originally Posted by kfman5F View Post
    You make unfounded assumptions. Not being Chinese has nothing to do with anything. There are good and bad teachers/students both Chinese and otherwise. But you already know that. Time and money well spent is worth it, no matter what one studies. In your line of thinking the time and money YOU spent on Tai Chi and Long Fist, they MUST be good. Goes both ways. Being Chinese does not make for a better martial artist.
    you want me to spell out why Chinatown kung fu has problems?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

First of all, why do you call it "Chinatown" Kung Fu? Let's hear what the problems are. Then please let us know what you have that makes you and your art better. I hope you will be honest and reply to that.

Wait..according to the Ark Wong story, he taught in the style of the 5 families, 5 animal Kung Fu.

I think something is getting lost in translation here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't know what u Chinatown weekend warriors mean by five family style. Cantonese kung fu has five famous styles, taught by five families. this is basic knowledge, even retard should know this.
    I don't study kung fu, although I have an interest in history and it's influence on other arts.

GM Ark Wong taught a style he called "Five Family" (Ng Ga Kuen), that was where the question arose. Yes, we also know that there are five seperate family styles that are independant of each other other than close geographical location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_Yuey_Wong

Here is a link about GM Ark Wong. I have heard people make comments that GM Wong would sell training for money and that he wasn't respected in the chinese martial community, and I have also heard that he was very respected in the chinese community. You made the comment about "chinatown kung fu", and I was questioning if this was the type of thing you were referring to.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

First of all, why do you call it "Chinatown" Kung Fu?
    because it was born in Chinatown, and it died in Chinatown. its bruce lees classical mess.

traditional term for Chinatown kung fu is random hand waving from the rivers and lakes. random sh1t some criminal just made up out of his ass.

Let's hear what the problems are. Then please let us know what you have that makes you and your art better. I hope you will be honest and reply to that.
    gangster kung fu that brought nothing but negativity.

the kung fu style i do is not better, but it doesn't claim to be shaolin.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.

RE: David Jamieson
    Thank you, I did not know what I was meaning by the 5 families, as it was somehting I heard at training and wanted to research the topic further to understand, and I can see that there is a few variants of what it could be, but its something I'll ask my Shifu as to what he meant exactly by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatsage View Post
    RE: David Jamieson
    Thank you, I did not know what I was meaning by the 5 families, as it was somehting I heard at training and wanted to research the topic further to understand, and I can see that there is a few variants of what it could be, but its something I'll ask my Shifu as to what he meant exactly by it.
    does ur teacher mean five ancestor boxing, because that's different

I dont know bawang, what is that?
    I'll ask on the weekend and let you know

Blog Entries
    because it was born in Chinatown, and it died in Chinatown. its bruce lees classical mess.

traditional term for Chinatown kung fu is random hand waving from the rivers and lakes. random sh1t some criminal just made up out of his ass.
    this is pure dumb sh1t

Wuzu quan or Ng Jo Kuen was founded by the 5 five triad founders.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-01-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    this is pure dumb sh1t

Wuzu quan or Ng Jo Kuen was founded by the 5 five triad founders.
    lolz more name stealing

Blog Entries
    lolz more name stealing
    more dumb sh1t......way too silly

the real founders of the 5 family styles are as follows and in order: ronald mc donald, The colonel, the burger king, wendy & Jack are the true 5 family style.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-01-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

"If you are Chinese and you don't speak Cantonese, Chinatown waiters won't even serve you in restaurant"

Bwahahahahahaha!!

Does this apply if one is chinese but orders the food in english?

I think as long as you have the "I speak in I have enough money to pay for the food I ordered and do not cause trouble for the other patrons or wait staff language" they will serve you...

Five Family Style

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    more dumb sh1t......way too silly

the real founders of the 5 family styles are as follows and in order: ronald mc donald, The colonel, the burger king, wendy & Jack are the true 5 family style.
    You are absolutely right Frank. The Five Families are making me hungry.