Thread: Best and worst book fight scenes

Best and worst book fight scenes

This was actually a question I asked on my blog but I sadly didn't get much response there. And I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

What's the best fight scene you ever read in a book?
    What's the worst?

My money is on Romeo and Juliet's:

MERCUTIO
    Come, sir, your passado.

They fight

ROMEO
    Draw, Benvolio; beat down their weapons.
    Gentlemen, for shame, forbear this outrage!
    Tybalt, Mercutio, the prince expressly hath
    Forbidden bandying in Verona streets:
    Hold, Tybalt! good Mercutio!

TYBALT under ROMEO's arm stabs MERCUTIO, and flies with his followers
    The action is unclear, the expository dialogue is clumsy, yes, I am taking the **** a bit here...
    Last edited by SimonM; 07-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'd have to think about it for the worst...one of my fave tho is the fight between Kylar Stern and Durzo Blint in The Night Angel Trilogy.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Greetings SimonM,

I would have to say the fencing match in Hamlet.

Even though I know the ending, somehow, I always wish that it would end differently. Those feelings add to the already powerful drama that is about to finally come to an end.

mickey

So that would be a "best scene" Mickey?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Greetings,

I'm sorry.

Yes, that would be a best scene.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-30-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'd have to think about it for the worst...one of my fave tho is the fight between Kylar Stern and Durzo Blint in The Night Angel Trilogy.
    I'm trying to figure out where I'd heard of Brent Weeks before... then I looked at his Facebook page and realized we're friends with a lot of the same people. That explains it. Got to get around to reading him.
    Simon McNeil

Off-hand, I can't think of a worst book fight I've personally read, but back in the '70s, I had the old Black Samurai book series, and really liked some of the fights portrayed in those.

Miyamoto Musashi's fight scenes are epic especially the final fight with his arch rival Kojiro, the first super fight of feudal Japan, where he beats him to death with an oar.

http://www.amazon.com/Musashi-Epic-N...ywords=musashi

And this 5 book series is great if you can find em:

http://www.amazon.com/Musashi-Book-T...ywords=musashi

Its paperback and they're listed for $272.00 for a 'new copy'.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Amazon prices martial arts novels too expensive

I hear that.

Here's the listing for the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox

And Romance of the Three Kingdoms...

The second volume of the Deer and the Cauldron is so freaking expensive... I can't believe I borrowed a copy of this from the library and it was in general circulation...

(And to be fair the first and third volumes on Amazon are also ridiculously priced)

Oh, here's the tradeback of Return of the Condor Heroes (the Asiapac Comic) vol. 1 - it's not Deer and the Cauldron expensive but it's still a pricey comic.

One more... The book and the sword.
    Last edited by SimonM; 07-31-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    Simon McNeil

I always enjoyed the fight scenes described in the old pulp fiction series "The Destroyer" featuring Remo Williams and his unbelievably qwerky and deadly master Chiun. When they did the movie I was quite geeked out at the time. Aside from casting,the movie was not very good. Always hoped for a remake.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.