Boxing vs. TCMA

When you

- throw a punch,
    - your opponent dodges, or block it.

In boxing:

- you pull your punch back,
    - and strike with another hand.

In TCMA:

- you use the same hand or other hand to block your opponent's blocking arm,
    - and strike with either the same hand or another hand.

What's the difference between this 2 approaches? Your though?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In TCMA:

- you use the same hand or other hand to block your opponent's blocking arm,
    - and strike with either the same hand or another hand.
    lie

asfsdf

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lie

asfsdf
    not lie, troof.

YKH - Not always with Boxing, same hand can throw another punch. ie: double hook (body/head), double jab, uppercut/hook.
    Last edited by Brule; 07-31-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling :)
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Blog Entries
    lieasfsdf
    The TCMA guy's 1st punch could be a "fake".

The TCMA guy's 1st punch could be a "fake".
    I dont understand why you say kung fu doesn't do normal people punching, and say instead kung fu do this ridiculous weird trapping eveyrtime you throw a punch.

Blog Entries
    the jab is a lure to open the opponents door. john wang makes it sound like western boxing is retarded down syndrome boxing. I punch you, you punch me.
    All jab can be fake whether it's thrown by a boxer or a TCMA guy. The difference is not the 1st punch but "how to deal with your opponent's blocking hand/arm".

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    YKH - Not always with Boxing, same hand can throw another punch. ie: double hook (body/head), double jab, uppercut/hook.
    That's true too.

All jab can be fake whether it's thrown by a boxer or a TCMA guy. The difference is not the 1st punch but "how to deal with your opponent's blocking hand/arm".
    theres many ways. how you can say "kung fu do this, boxing do this"?

Blog Entries
    theres many ways. how you can say "kung fu do this, boxing do this"?
    Have you seen a boxer pulls his opponent into his punch? The boxing gloves won't allow him to do that. Does "switching hands" use in boxing (such as the praying mantis Gou Lou Cai Shou?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-31-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Have you seen a boxer pulls his opponent into his punch? The boxing gloves won't allow him to do that. Does "switching hands" use in boxing? I haven't seen that yet.
    dirty boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Have you seen a boxer pulls his opponent into his punch? The boxing gloves won't allow him to do that. Does "switching hands" use in boxing? I haven't seen that yet.
    you said "In boxing: - you pull your punch back, - and strike with another hand."
    kung fu do this a lot. this is bread and butter basics jibengong. what is the problem?

In boxing, you will generate more power by throwing with your non blocking hand and, generally speaking. More torque, more energy, you're also typically on the balls of your feet, not always rooted as many styles of TCMA promote. Boxing is all about footwork and the stances are much narrower. The punches tend to be more compact...I'm just comparing to CLF. Obviously you can use boxing style punching in TCMA. When sparring in CLF I added hooks, I love that strike, its not traditional Kung Fu but very effective.

In TCMA you generate power from your hips, dan tien, and rooted feet. In boxing you pivot generating your power shoulders and arms. You can see it in fighters physiques.

Also with TCMA, attacking with two hands or sticky hands is important for applying locks, throws and the like and boxers are never concerned with that. Maintaining contact with your opponent is something I think some TCMA emphasizes over boxing. Boxing and TCMA do have similarities with strategies...attacking at different levels, breaking down structure, deception, distance, counter attacks etc.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Blog Entries
    you said "In boxing: - you pull your punch back, - and strike with another hand."
    kung fu do this a lot. this is bread and butter basics jibengong. what is the problem?
    In TCMA, when you pull you punching hand back, you try to bring something in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    In boxing, you will generate more power by throwing with your non blocking hand and, generally speaking. More torque, more energy, you're also typically on the balls of your feet, not always rooted as many styles of TCMA promote. Boxing is all about footwork and the stances are much narrower. The punches tend to be more compact...I'm just comparing to CLF. Obviously you can use boxing style punching in TCMA. When sparring in CLF I added hooks, I love that strike, its not traditional Kung Fu but very effective.

In TCMA you generate power from your hips, dan tien, and rooted feet. In boxing you pivot generating your power shoulders and arms. You can see it in fighters physiques.
    kung fu emphasize pull the hand back just like boxing. that's why you chamber the fist FOO.
    When sparring in CLF I added hooks, I love that strike, its not traditional Kung Fu but very effective.
    LOL hooks not a traditional kung fu strike

In TCMA, when you pull you punching hand back, you try to bring something in.
    in TCMA, when you pull your punching hand back, you just pull it back. longfist is about what is natural. your pre born ability. all that bridging grabbling is unnatural. you see it a lot today in demos but they are fake techniques.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-31-2013 at 12:35 PM.

kung fu emphasize pull the hand back just like boxing. that's why you chamber the fist FOO.

LOL hooks not a traditional kung fu strike
    Only if you're not using a double strike or two handed block/punch...but you can chamber the fist...but it's usually done at a lower level than boxing, you never bring hands down to your waist to chamber.

As far as hooks, I've not seen them used nor applied in TCMA in the same way boxers do.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

As far as hooks, I've not seen them used nor applied in TCMA in the same way boxers do.
    hook is a basic technique in kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-31-2013 at 12:44 PM.