Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 107

Thread: Boxing vs. TCMA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16

    Boxing vs. TCMA

    When you

    - throw a punch,
    - your opponent dodges, or block it.

    In boxing:

    - you pull your punch back,
    - and strike with another hand.

    In TCMA:

    - you use the same hand or other hand to block your opponent's blocking arm,
    - and strike with either the same hand or another hand.

    What's the difference between this 2 approaches? Your though?
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In TCMA:

    - you use the same hand or other hand to block your opponent's blocking arm,
    - and strike with either the same hand or another hand.
    lie

    asfsdf

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North, strong and Free
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lie

    asfsdf
    not lie, troof.

    YKH - Not always with Boxing, same hand can throw another punch. ie: double hook (body/head), double jab, uppercut/hook.
    Last edited by Brule; 07-31-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling :)
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lieasfsdf
    The TCMA guy's 1st punch could be a "fake".
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The TCMA guy's 1st punch could be a "fake".
    I dont understand why you say kung fu doesn't do normal people punching, and say instead kung fu do this ridiculous weird trapping eveyrtime you throw a punch.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the jab is a lure to open the opponents door. john wang makes it sound like western boxing is retarded down syndrome boxing. I punch you, you punch me.
    All jab can be fake whether it's thrown by a boxer or a TCMA guy. The difference is not the 1st punch but "how to deal with your opponent's blocking hand/arm".

    Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    YKH - Not always with Boxing, same hand can throw another punch. ie: double hook (body/head), double jab, uppercut/hook.
    That's true too.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    All jab can be fake whether it's thrown by a boxer or a TCMA guy. The difference is not the 1st punch but "how to deal with your opponent's blocking hand/arm".
    theres many ways. how you can say "kung fu do this, boxing do this"?

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    theres many ways. how you can say "kung fu do this, boxing do this"?
    Have you seen a boxer pulls his opponent into his punch? The boxing gloves won't allow him to do that. Does "switching hands" use in boxing (such as the praying mantis Gou Lou Cai Shou?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-31-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North, strong and Free
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Have you seen a boxer pulls his opponent into his punch? The boxing gloves won't allow him to do that. Does "switching hands" use in boxing? I haven't seen that yet.
    dirty boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Have you seen a boxer pulls his opponent into his punch? The boxing gloves won't allow him to do that. Does "switching hands" use in boxing? I haven't seen that yet.
    you said "In boxing: - you pull your punch back, - and strike with another hand."
    kung fu do this a lot. this is bread and butter basics jibengong. what is the problem?

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    1,162
    In boxing, you will generate more power by throwing with your non blocking hand and, generally speaking. More torque, more energy, you're also typically on the balls of your feet, not always rooted as many styles of TCMA promote. Boxing is all about footwork and the stances are much narrower. The punches tend to be more compact...I'm just comparing to CLF. Obviously you can use boxing style punching in TCMA. When sparring in CLF I added hooks, I love that strike, its not traditional Kung Fu but very effective.

    In TCMA you generate power from your hips, dan tien, and rooted feet. In boxing you pivot generating your power shoulders and arms. You can see it in fighters physiques.

    Also with TCMA, attacking with two hands or sticky hands is important for applying locks, throws and the like and boxers are never concerned with that. Maintaining contact with your opponent is something I think some TCMA emphasizes over boxing. Boxing and TCMA do have similarities with strategies...attacking at different levels, breaking down structure, deception, distance, counter attacks etc.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

    "I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

    "Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you said "In boxing: - you pull your punch back, - and strike with another hand."
    kung fu do this a lot. this is bread and butter basics jibengong. what is the problem?
    In TCMA, when you pull you punching hand back, you try to bring something in.
    http://johnswang.com

    More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    In boxing, you will generate more power by throwing with your non blocking hand and, generally speaking. More torque, more energy, you're also typically on the balls of your feet, not always rooted as many styles of TCMA promote. Boxing is all about footwork and the stances are much narrower. The punches tend to be more compact...I'm just comparing to CLF. Obviously you can use boxing style punching in TCMA. When sparring in CLF I added hooks, I love that strike, its not traditional Kung Fu but very effective.

    In TCMA you generate power from your hips, dan tien, and rooted feet. In boxing you pivot generating your power shoulders and arms. You can see it in fighters physiques.
    kung fu emphasize pull the hand back just like boxing. that's why you chamber the fist FOO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    When sparring in CLF I added hooks, I love that strike, its not traditional Kung Fu but very effective.
    LOL hooks not a traditional kung fu strike

    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In TCMA, when you pull you punching hand back, you try to bring something in.
    in TCMA, when you pull your punching hand back, you just pull it back. longfist is about what is natural. your pre born ability. all that bridging grabbling is unnatural. you see it a lot today in demos but they are fake techniques.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-31-2013 at 12:35 PM.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    kung fu emphasize pull the hand back just like boxing. that's why you chamber the fist FOO.

    LOL hooks not a traditional kung fu strike
    Only if you're not using a double strike or two handed block/punch...but you can chamber the fist...but it's usually done at a lower level than boxing, you never bring hands down to your waist to chamber.

    As far as hooks, I've not seen them used nor applied in TCMA in the same way boxers do.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

    "I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

    "Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    As far as hooks, I've not seen them used nor applied in TCMA in the same way boxers do.
    hook is a basic technique in kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-31-2013 at 12:44 PM.

    25th generation inner door disciple of Chen Style Practical Wombat Method
    Officially certified by Ethiopian Orthodox patriarch Abune Mathias
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat™®LLC Practical Wombat Method. international academy retreat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •