Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    I dont know what that is. I dont speak viet.
    you don't speak it all or know it all my friend
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you don't speak it all or know it all my friend
    if it sounds like chicken clucking, its all viet to me.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    I do believe that

bridge = clinch

It's easier to see from the grappling side. It may not be that easy to see from a striking side. It's very nature to get into clinch from WC sticky hand or Taiji push hand. The interest thing is, a striker may not like to get into clinch, but if he can't stop his opponent from doing that, he will get into clinch no matter he likes it or not.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Mayweather Sr put his pittipatt craptacular pad work on a video for Ringside and these days every so called coach tries to immitate it,,,, it is crap in boxing and even worse for other combat sports...

but ignorant people are easily impressed (and manipulated)
    if i could i would vote and like for this,

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    That's the first I've ever seen anything like that - So if that's paticake, then I haven't seen or done paticake.

The padwork I'm familiar with is "simpler". 2, 3 maybe up to 4 punch combinations with the guy calling out which combo using numbers. Plus it's done with a lot more power.
    then you are doing pad work, there is a difference as you can see

personally for MMA, its thai pads for power, and working glove against glove, hook and jab pads have their place but it takes a long time to become a good feeder of the pads, easier to stick on 14oz boxing gloves shell up and let the other guy work his combinations on you

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I do believe that

bridge = clinch

It's easier to see from the grappling side. It may not be that easy to see from a striking side. It's very nature to get into clinch from WC sticky hand or Taiji push hand. The interest thing is, a striker may not like to get into clinch, but if he can't stop his opponent from doing that, he will get into clinch no matter he likes it or not.
    which is a different view from what pakmei and other hakka arts do

Blog Entries
    In striking environment, it's easy to get into clinch no matter you like it or not. When your opponent throws a right and left, you are already in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbRQ0-x9hdk
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's easy to get into clinch in a full contact environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbRQ0-x9hdk
    of course it is, hence my comment bridging as seen in most southern arts only really works when both parties agree to allow it, other wise what happened in your clip is the usual result

Mayweather Sr put his pittipatt craptacular pad work on a video for Ringside and these days every so called coach tries to immitate it,,,, it is crap in boxing and even worse for other combat sports...

Maybe im not reading this right are you saying the mayweathers family padwork is craptacular? I mean i could see how its silly for someone to watch the vid then think they can replicate it with out having their style or attributes or remotely understand what the drills are for, But outside of that the padwork makes perfect sense for their delivery system

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

In the marketplace of general boxing, Western boxing is far more adaptable with the greater martial sport. Next comes grappling and any wrestling adaption is a great addition

That patticake shit is flash for the cameras during media hype day. Mayweather sure as fuck doesn't really train like that.

I can see it being used for duck, weaving and footwork but that's about it. They're hardly even tapping the pads when they do hit, where's their power at?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And you are also taking something out of context, when Bawang responds to john and says its wrestling that’s because it is from their perspective, bridging as you describe it is a uniquely southern/hakka thing so whilst Bawang is turning something he doenst know into something he does (in your words), so are you, john is a northern longfist and mantis person and a grappler I think the only southern art he has done is a little wing chun so it would be gripping from a grappling thowing perspective rather than a bridging to hit art for him wouldn’t it??
    Well, to me, the common ground between John's stuff and mind is the bridge. He grapples and throws, I strike more than throw, its just the concept of bridge and cross, as opposed to pummel to submission, which is what I thought john was on about. <shrugs>
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    .....Getting clobbered by hooks and uppercuts as I attempted to bridge and control the centre was an eye opener now bridging means something different to me , it means clinching, it means stomping on his feet ramming through his centre to off balance and hitting him hard before clinching and kneeing or throwing him
    Getting in a good head butt is a nice touch too...

Frost gets it....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I love the clinch. Let's me use more tools!