Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I think it would be a more productive thread if we reframed it into "is there anything we can learn or incorporate from western boxing to make TCMA better?"
    The committee that created sanda called and what there thread back, they said they nicked the best bits from boxing over half a century ago

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The committee that created sanda called and what there thread back, they said they nicked the best bits from boxing over half a century ago
    LOL -

I'm all in for trapping in a boxing like environment regardless of what Bawang says by stealing these drills.

Love the youtube.

LOL -

I'm all in for trapping in a boxing like environment regardless of what Bawang says by stealing these drills.

Love the youtube.
    that's not a boxing like environment that's a jkd cluster fck missmash of boxing and stuff that will not work under pressure because no one stands there and blocks like that

that's not a boxing like environment that's a jkd cluster fck missmash of boxing and stuff that will not work under pressure because no one stands there and blocks like that
    talking about using focus mitts with traps, first slowly and then gradually adding speed - for whatever reason, I never thought of doing it before.

you're right, it's not boxing like, but I'm always up for new ideas for drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post

Trapping is not quite grappling, but stickier than boxing.
    after 20 years of humiliation to mma, you want to bring this sh1t again, yes?
    these people have memory span of goldfish. every time mma beat up kung fu they nod their head and praise mma, then turn around and talk about deadly kung fu..
    Last edited by bawang; 08-01-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

talking about using focus mitts with traps, first slowly and then gradually adding speed - for whatever reason, I never thought of doing it before.

you're right, it's not boxing like, but I'm always up for new ideas for drills.
    the problem is you can't pull traps off like that unless the guy you are fighting is a wing chun/ jkd guy so if it doesn't work the same way you drill it are the drills worthwhile? Tapping to me means clearing a path so I can control his centre of gravity and hit him not play paticake like that

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    after 20 years of humiliation to mma, you want to bring this sh1t again, yes?

these people have memory span of goldfish. every time mma beat up kung fu they nod their head and praise mma, then turn around and talk about deadly kung fu.
    trapping is clinch fighting where for some strange reason both sides agree to control and hit and not throw or actually clinch.....what happens when one party doesn't agree to those rules...?? See the last 20 years off MMA

the problem is you can't pull traps off like that unless the guy you are fighting is a wing chun/ jkd guy so if it doesn't work the same way you drill it are the drills worthwhile? Tapping to me means clearing a path so I can control his centre of gravity and hit him not play paticake like that
    when u try to bridge and trap u get clinched. then u either get knocked on ur ass by elbow and knee or get slammed.
    trapping is clinch fighting where for some strange reason both sides agree to control and hit and not throw or actually clinch.....what happens when one party doesn't agree to those rules...?? See the last 20 years off MMA
    its hard for these people to think with a clear head. kung fu cult conditioning fill them with smokes and mirrors.

it all depends on if ur sifu is the type of "believe me" or if he is "find out for yourself"
    Last edited by bawang; 08-01-2013 at 07:04 AM.

whatever guys - do what you like.

trapping and set ups, at least as how I define it being a mantis guy works. And I see value in using focus mitts.

---

Talk about boxing, one of the best things I've ever heard from a boxer is simply this "not every punch is a knockout punch".

whatever guys - do what you like.
    no, you are not going to do what you like. you are going to do what you should.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    when u try to bridge and trap u get clinched. then u either get knocked on ur ass by elbow and knee or get slammed.

southern kung fu practice bridging because southern kung fu trains grappling.
    my current sifus first art was wing chun (taught by combat vets who escaped vietnam to north America) after several months training it he introduced clf into the mix. Getting clobbered by hooks and uppercuts as I attempted to bridge and control the centre was an eye opener now bridging means something different to me , it means clinching, it means stomping on his feet ramming through his centre to off balance and hitting him hard before clinching and kneeing or throwing him
    Last edited by Frost; 08-01-2013 at 07:09 AM.

paticake on mitts is simply that - it's paticake meant more for rhythm and flow, especially if it's based on a close range back fist.

Not every punch is a knockout, sometimes you throw a punch to create an opening for a knockout.

paticake on mitts is simply that - it's paticake meant more for rhythm and flow, especially if it's based on a close range back fist.

Not every punch is a knockout, sometimes you throw a punch to create an opening for a knockout.
    I had an MMA coach who spent months teaching patticake pad work. Drills then end result was everyone got the rhythm of the drill and in sparring got hit because they looked for a rhythm that wasn't there and the patticake drills had developed very bad habitts

I had an MMA coach who spent months teaching patticake pad work. Drills then end result was everyone got the rhythm of the drill and in sparring got hit because they looked for a rhythm that wasn't there and the patticake drills had developed very bad habitts
    the sparring cleaned it up. Now they have rhythm, and the knowledge in how to use it.

the sparring cleaned it up. Now they have rhythm, and the knowledge in how to use it.
    nope the sparring showedthem the mistakes build from patticake stuff, hands dropping as they tried to remember the order of hits, static footwork due to too many shots in a combination, unrealistic sense of space and distance as the feeder would crowd and come and meet the punches (as always happens in patticake drills) luckily sparring was introduced back after a few months of this stuff and showed how worse not better they had got,