Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sinking" the Bridge

"Sinking" the Bridge

When force is voluntarily applied against anything delivered from you to a target regardless of system, there is a compression on your own body in return. Right, we've discussed this topic before. Newtons three laws of motions. The one above is the third law. The second law is the ol' F=ma or force equals mass times acceleration. The first law is essentially that an object is either at rest or in motion within an inertial reference frame unless acted upon by a force. This law is first for a reason. For instance, once a baseball is thrown at whatever speed, it cannot speed up or change direction UNLESS an external force acts upon it such as a mini rocket that kicks in halfway for speed or wind sheer for direction(3rd law). Once the baseball is thrown, that's it. This baseball also, will only go as fast as the second law distinguishes, f=ma, period(see 1st law). And lastly, this baseball will absorb as much force as it gives(3rd law) when it finally hits something or when it potentially accelerates(see 1st law).

The human body is no exception to these rules. When you throw a punch and contract your muscle, however much(2nd law), once the motion starts you can't increase that force(1st law) by contracting more after it started unless there's rebounding resistance such as contact (3rd law). Here's the kicker. Bio mechanically, you have to shut the muscle off momentarily before you can reapply force to that rebound. When you pull a muscle in your back or where ever, your body involuntarily violated this bio mechanical principle. ....Or...you can use your body to drive into the rebound while the arm muscle is in the process of trying to re-contract.

So what's all if this have to do with WC? For starters, if someone truly does a correct infamous one inch punch, they are following these laws(newton and biomechanics) and shutting their arm muscle down momentarily upon contact and reapplying force immediately into the rebound with their body. Interesting, huh?

So what's this have to do with bridging? If you notice, when a WC practitioner actually applies the "inch power" and moves someone powerfully, contact is already made and a compression has already happened. The force applied is into the rebound.

-----

If you understood what I wrote above, and I hope you did. WC's core function relies upon a compression of the body. There is a reason the one inch punch works the way it does. Every lineage does this compression in one way or another, even WSL/VT. So it's not that no one has 'the secret' but many don't understand how to convey it into their training. The biggest misconception IMO is that people think this function needs to somehow be "setup" like a jab to a cross in boxing. It's not there or developed for that purpose and every lineage I've seen that try to set this function up create bad habits IMO

-------

btw Chum kiu means "sinking" the bridge and is directly related to the function above. You 'hammer the nail'. One reason, "turning" and the balance of that turn matters.

Thanks so much for this, it really helps and I know that I am part of a growing group who don't post up on the forum but are really learning from your input here.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    ...btw Chum kiu means "sinking" the bridge and is directly related to the function above. You 'hammer the nail'. One reason, "turning" and the balance of that turn matters.
    Interesting ideas on compression and release of power. Thanks.

Now about Chum Kiu...as you may know some branches of the Yip Man lineage use the translation Sinking the Bridge (沉橋) while other groups, such as the branch I hail from use different characters that are pronounced the same way in Cantonese but which have the meaning Seeking the Bridge (尋橋). Accordingly, they would view the emphasis of the form somewhat differently. Personally, I enjoy considering these differences as presenting an opportunity to see different facets of the art.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Could you please show an example of what you refer as inch punch?

When force is voluntarily applied against anything delivered from you to a target regardless of system, there is a compression on your own body in return. Right, we've discussed this topic before. Newtons three laws of motions. The one above is the third law. The second law is the ol' F=ma or force equals mass times acceleration. The first law is essentially that an object is either at rest or in motion within an inertial reference frame unless acted upon by a force. This law is first for a reason. For instance, once a baseball is thrown at whatever speed, it cannot speed up or change direction UNLESS an external force acts upon it such as a mini rocket that kicks in halfway for speed or wind sheer for direction(3rd law). Once the baseball is thrown, that's it. This baseball also, will only go as fast as the second law distinguishes, f=ma, period(see 1st law). And lastly, this baseball will absorb as much force as it gives(3rd law) when it finally hits something or when it potentially accelerates(see 1st law).

The human body is no exception to these rules. When you throw a punch and contract your muscle, however much(2nd law), once the motion starts you can't increase that force(1st law) by contracting more after it started unless there's rebounding resistance such as contact (3rd law). Here's the kicker. Bio mechanically, you have to shut the muscle off momentarily before you can reapply force to that rebound. When you pull a muscle in your back or where ever, your body involuntarily violated this bio mechanical principle. ....Or...you can use your body to drive into the rebound while the arm muscle is in the process of trying to re-contract.

So what's all if this have to do with WC? For starters, if someone truly does a correct infamous one inch punch, they are following these laws(newton and biomechanics) and shutting their arm muscle down momentarily upon contact and reapplying force immediately into the rebound with their body. Interesting, huh?

So what's this have to do with bridging? If you notice, when a WC practitioner actually applies the "inch power" and moves someone powerfully, contact is already made and a compression has already happened. The force applied is into the rebound.

-----

If you understood what I wrote above, and I hope you did. WC's core function relies upon a compression of the body. There is a reason the one inch punch works the way it does. Every lineage does this compression in one way or another, even WSL/VT. So it's not that no one has 'the secret' but many don't understand how to convey it into their training. The biggest misconception IMO is that people think this function needs to somehow be "setup" like a jab to a cross in boxing. It's not there or developed for that purpose and every lineage I've seen that try to set this function up create bad habits IMO

-------

btw Chum kiu means "sinking" the bridge and is directly related to the function above. You 'hammer the nail'. One reason, "turning" and the balance of that turn matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Could you please show an example of what you refer as inch punch?
    No Hendrik, I don't. I haven't seen one video on youtube that properly does the one inch punch. Most are using Bruce Lee's method.

There are examples of people properly using "inch power" however. But they aren't really application based. You can see Fong Sifu do it in 'Ma Bo Chi Sao' at the beginning of that "ultimate demonstration" clip. You can even see PB use it properly sometimes. I do, however, think he uses too much muscle once he "re-contracts" after the body drives into the rebound(you can see it if you have the eye). Remember, though, Fong Sifu shows it as a "demo", PB is using it in chi sao sparring. The actual application has little to do with either of these examples.

Chum Kiu will show you the way. How many times have you heard that!? . But it's true with regards to this function. Like usual, I've tried a thousand different ways to stress how important the "balanced" motions in chum kiu are. The rotation outside-in/in-outside in relation to the stance is paramount(fyi -biu gee will show you in relation to "one arm" long bridge). Essentially, if you really follow the principles of movement in chum kiu. Every ROTATION will have the body "drive" into the rebound that either arm(blocking or attacking) will experience IF contact is made. Simple, huh? ...and genius!

Understand now why so much confusion and fighting within the WC world. 99% of people don't understand this function, why it's there, how to develop it, or even where it's found. Let alone, the ones who can do it from time to time don't understand why or how either!

Mind blowing, isn't it!
    Last edited by WC1277; 08-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.

So what's all if this have to do with WC?
    Nothing! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Now about Chum Kiu...as you may know some branches of the Yip Man lineage use the translation Sinking the Bridge (沉橋) while other groups, such as the branch I hail from use different characters that are pronounced the same way in Cantonese but which have the meaning Seeking the Bridge (尋橋).
    I too am from a 'Seeking Bridge' family but, like yourself, that doesn't stop me listening to others views on the subject of Form especially. We do however have methods within the form like Chum Jang (尋肘) where we are literally sinking the elbow into the hip and waist lines in order to generate exlposive power through a rotation, similar to the compression WC1277 is talking about I guess.

Here's a good clip that attempts to show it in relation to 'opening the back'
    http://youtu.be/8w3ljwVNST0
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Learnt and seen both approches. Sinking is all good but should found in siu leem tau and throughout the system. I use sink, swallow and spit which is found in many different arts. I feel that the meaning of the name Chum Kiu is just a fraction of what form teaches. It obvious that key elements are training position (seeking), facing, timing, wrestling (yes i said it) and structure (sink, swallow and spit).

Reason so much in fighting in wing chun is a thread in its self. Think alot of major and not so major players can get away with making bold claims but actually never do it under pressure. Anyone seen such so called masters fight at world class level? Too much B.S in wing chun. It attracts geeks or freaks.

I think it is better for you to Make a YouTube to communicate what you mean.

You need to clearly define what is inch power. Otherwise no one will know what are you talking about.

No Hendrik, I don't. I haven't seen one video on youtube that properly does the one inch punch. Most are using Bruce Lee's method.

There are examples of people properly using "inch power" however. But they aren't really application based. You can see Fong Sifu do it in 'Ma Bo Chi Sao' at the beginning of that "ultimate demonstration" clip. You can even see PB use it properly sometimes. I do, however, think he uses too much muscle once he "re-contracts" after the body drives into the rebound(you can see it if you have the eye). Remember, though, Fong Sifu shows it as a "demo", PB is using it in chi sao sparring. The actual application has little to do with either of these examples.

Chum Kiu will show you the way. How many times have you heard that!? . But it's true with regards to this function. Like usual, I've tried a thousand different ways to stress how important the "balanced" motions in chum kiu are. The rotation outside-in/in-outside in relation to the stance is paramount(fyi -biu gee will show you in relation to "one arm" long bridge). Essentially, if you really follow the principles of movement in chum kiu. Every ROTATION will have the body "drive" into the rebound that either arm(blocking or attacking) will experience IF contact is made. Simple, huh? ...and genius!

Understand now why so much confusion and fighting within the WC world. 99% of people don't understand this function, why it's there, how to develop it, or even where it's found. Let alone, the ones who can do it from time to time don't understand why or how either!

Mind blowing, isn't it!
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-01-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Nothing! lol
    Belly laugh out loud !! joy calls it searching for the bridge in his article. Wc1277 sinking in his post ?
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-01-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic2k View Post
    Learnt and seen both approches. Sinking is all good but should found in siu leem tau and throughout the system. I use sink, swallow and spit which is found in many different arts. I feel that the meaning of the name Chum Kiu is just a fraction of what form teaches. It obvious that key elements are training position (seeking), facing, timing, wrestling (yes i said it) and structure (sink, swallow and spit).
    Of course there's much more to Chum kiu that it develops.

Reason so much in fighting in wing chun is a thread in its self. Think alot of major and not so major players can get away with making bold claims but actually never do it under pressure.
    Explaining physics and it's relation to a function is not a "bold claim".

Anyone seen such so called masters fight at world class level?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Belly laugh out loud !! joy calls it searching for the bridge in his article. Wc1277 sinking in his post ?
    To quote Joy: "the devil is in the details"

Yes, details I agree. ; )

Of course there's much more to Chum kiu that it develops.

Explaining physics and it's relation to a function is not a "bold claim".

Yes

Who have you seen? Any proof you can share on the forum?

As for bold claims, show me a vid of your ideas preformed by you....

Dont get me wrong, your posts are interesting and i enjoy you take and ideas ITS just im not sold my friend

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yup it's usually called searching for the bridge-but sinking the bridge is what good chum kiu is about. A name and action are not always the same. Spoken Cantonese is tricky business- with so many tones close to each other-the English chum actually has two different sounds in Cantonese. I actually looked them up and listened to the two different tones for chum. I also discussed this with our Chee once upon a time.There is a lot of confusion on this but there should not be any when it comes to understanding and doing the motions.

But I am not a missionary-so the kg crowd can have their insecure laughs.

Searching is too general a term for the precision of sinking. KG's elbows when I saw him do chum kiu had little sinking in them.

The sinking of the elbows properly also sinks the bridge and adds explosive power specially when the body structure and the feet are working well.