Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sinking" the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Yup it's usually called searching for the bridge-but sinking the bridge is what good chum kiu is about. A name and action are not always the same. Spoken Cantonese is tricky business- with so many tones close to each other-the English chum actually has two different sounds in Cantonese. I actually looked them up and listened to the two different tones for chum. I also discussed this with our Chee once upon a time.There is a lot of confusion on this but there should not be any when it comes to understanding and doing the motions.

But I am not a missionary-so the kg crowd can have their insecure laughs.

Searching is too general a term for the precision of sinking. KG's elbows when I saw him do chum kiu had little sinking in them.

The sinking of the elbows properly also sinks the bridge and adds explosive power specially when the body structure and the feet are working well.

You are on the right track for power but you missed some details. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You are on the right track for power but you missed some details. ; )
    What's that? I thought you're beloved cohorts said "seeking" the bridge was related to the open line being the bridge.

I explained the jist of the function. That's all. To paraphrase your words, other details 'I must show'.

btw you should pay attention to your dear Sifu when he uses this function as well. It's crazy that his body, arms and legs, follow a specific rotation and balance, isn't it?!
    Last edited by WC1277; 08-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    What's that? I thought you're beloved cohorts said "seeking" the bridge was related to the open line being the bridge.

I explained the jist of the function. That's all. To paraphrase your words, other details 'I must show'.

btw you should pay attention to your dear Sifu when he uses this function as well. It's crazy that his body, arms and legs, follow a specific rotation and balance, isn't it?!
    You still don't even understand our method to argue. ; ) but you are, showing a penchant for uninformed statements.

You still don't even understand our method to argue. ; ) but you are, showing a penchant for uninformed statements.
    Pot calling the kettle black, are we?

Pot calling the kettle black, are we?
    So you have met a wsl pb vt student ?

So you have met a wsl pb vt student ?
    I've met and flowed with 2 different students of the WSL lineage. I do not remember their teachers but only that they both trained out of Hong Kong. That's besides the point Kevin. I didn't say anything negative about PB in relation to this thread. In fact, I pointed out that he has done this function. My point to you is that you should pay attention to his 'balanced' rotation of the body when he does it. It's in line exactly with chum kiu movement. We've argued back and forth for a while now predominately because you've attacked me in relation to my points about that balanced rotation of the body. This thread was yet another attempt by myself to "describe" the related function and importance of this balance. If you want to "shuffle" around an opponent and think "bridging" refers to an open line. Have at it! I'm getting tired of your "subtle" shift in thinking that you can't explain beyond general terms. I'm getting tired of you not realizing 99% of WC is developmental. Good luck with making the square fit into the circle...

I've met and flowed with 2 different students of the WSL lineage. I do not remember their teachers but only that they both trained out of Hong Kong. That's besides the point Kevin. I didn't say anything negative about PB in relation to this thread. In fact, I pointed out that he has done this function. My point to you is that you should pay attention to his 'balanced' rotation of the body when he does it. It's in line exactly with chum kiu movement. We've argued back and forth for a while now predominately because you've attacked me in relation to my points about that balanced rotation of the body. This thread was yet another attempt by myself to "describe" the related function and importance of this balance. If you want to "shuffle" around an opponent and think "bridging" refers to an open line. Have at it! I'm getting tired of your "subtle" shift in thinking that you can't explain beyond general terms. I'm getting tired of you not realizing 99% of WC is developmental. Good luck with making the square fit into the circle...
    Ah so that's a no. Fighting is usually explained hands on, subtlety is hands on.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-01-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Ah so that's a no. Fighting is usually explained hands on, subtlety is hands on.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Its a waste of time to discuss things with Kg and JG.

Being a bit slow who's JG?
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Only because you have no clue about our method. As you think your are some Wing Chun Dalai Lama that must grate on you a bit.

He doesn’t need my help, but……..

It seems that most here are speaking in volumes and in the other way. Joy said nothing wrong at all and once again he's 100% correct.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    once again he's 100% correct.

Take care,
    ............in your opinion

Mean no harm

That’s far from my opinion, it’s something I was taught and known for over 28 years,

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    That’s far from my opinion, it’s something I was taught and known for over 28 years,

Take care,
    28 years eh? Must be correct then.

Again, I mean no harm

No not necessarily, because other points of views may be correct as well. But, Joy’s points have been around and within my wing chun training sense the mid-late 70’s.

Take care,