Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 technique, or 1000

1 technique, or 1000

Do you have any "game changers" in your style? What's that 1 technique that defines your style? Have you explored it in all ranges? Can you make it work? Are you missing a valuable opportunity with what's been given to you in your traditional training?

---
    For me, it's the du sau. With patience, and if it's properly explored and trained, then, in theory, it should really be all that I need in a self defense or martial sport (with open fingered grappling gloves). Now there's a lot more to my style that's fascinating and worth exploring and combat effective, but without that fundamental du sau which can be used to great effect in the famous ou lou choi or just punching directly off of the hook with my other hand, then there's no mantis. But it's a real bread and butter technique. It's worth investing in. Do you have that in your style?

haymaker is the heart of longfist

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    du sau which can be used to great effect in the famous ou lou choi ...
    In the grappling art, the "搂手(Lou Shou)" is used more often than the "钩手(Gou Shou)" for 2 reasons:

- When you use left "搂手(Lou Shou)" on your opponent's right wrist, your thumb is facing down and on the right (your left) of his right arm. This will force him to rotate his right arm counter-clockwise (your clockwise), which will give you a chance to move your left hand "inside and on top" of his right upper arm.

- You can apply double "搂手(Lou Shou)" and control both your opponent's arms at the same time. When you can achieve that, you have force your opponent to play your grappling game and not his striking game.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

In Ba Ji fist,

we stress "kao".

We kao da and kao shuai.

We may use forearm, elbow, shoulder/hip, or chest/back to kao.

We build everything else on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    haymaker is the heart of longfist
    sun fist is the heart of it from my reckoing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    sun fist is the heart of it from my reckoing.
    you are trolling me? what is sun fist?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Groin kick and eye poke/gouge. Its in every martial art out there. Yet no one uses it. Best freaking technique out there. I personally have used them in "altercations" Slows them down long enough to
    1) be able to flee
    2) give your buddies time to come and help ya
    3) pull out a weapon and go to town on them.
    Last edited by xcakid; 08-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Blog Entries
    1 technique, or 1000

I'll not just say "1 technique" but "1 group of techniques".

In order to use "head lock", you have to train leg twist, leg lift, leg spring, inner heel sweep, shin bite, leg block, outer twist, front cut, foot sweep, shoulder pulling, crack, ... You have to train about 25 techniques in order to support your "head lock". The "head lock" is the root of a tree. Ther are many branches and leafs that can grow out of that root.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    In Ba Ji fist,

we stress "kao".

We kao da and kao shuai.

We may use forearm, elbow, shoulder/hip, or chest/back to kao.

We build everything else on that.

You can use Kao to set up knee seize, inner hook, hip throw, leg block, leg lift, ...
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

One Technique to Rule Them All-ish or from Which the Ten Thousand

Breathe in.

In Squirrel, if I get to breathe in, then there might be possibilities.

[Note:I put other than inhale--I put breathe-in or breath-in].

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 08-02-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: ,
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Do you have any "game changers" in your style? What's that 1 technique that defines your style? Have you explored it in all ranges? Can you make it work? Are you missing a valuable opportunity with what's been given to you in your traditional training?

---
    For me, it's the du sau. With patience, and if it's properly explored and trained, then, in theory, it should really be all that I need in a self defense or martial sport (with open fingered grappling gloves). Now there's a lot more to my style that's fascinating and worth exploring and combat effective, but without that fundamental du sau which can be used to great effect in the famous ou lou choi or just punching directly off of the hook with my other hand, then there's no mantis. But it's a real bread and butter technique. It's worth investing in. Do you have that in your style?
    I don't define the style by the technique, but more the principles or how the style uses the techniques.

Every style has basically the same techniques, but it's all about what you emphasize and how.

For Mantis, I think in terms of control and attack. It is smart type of aggression that is conservative in leaving little to chance.

For me, I could still do Mantis if I never used another diu sau again.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In the grappling art, the "搂手(Lou Shou)" is used more often than the "钩手(Gou Shou)"
    I use the lou a lot more than the gou.

But in terms of the principle behind gou, I do use it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    1 technique, or 1000

I'll not just say "1 technique" but "1 group of techniques".

In order to use "head lock", you have to train leg twist, leg lift, leg spring, inner heel sweep, shin bite, leg block, outer twist, front cut, foot sweep, shoulder pulling, crack, ...
    I would call that the principle of leg trap/control to support your attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Diu sau/diao shou is one of the most insignificant components of Tanglang.
    Thank you!

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Most don't seem to see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Thank you!

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Most don't seem to see it that way.
    ha ha, you beat me to it. I deleted the post because I didn't want to be rude to MB. Anyway it stands. It is overrated and has very limited use. I'm not sure MB is actually referring to diao shou by his description anyway. More like the principle of cai.

or probably just 'gou'. diao shou is a very specific technique and although it involves the hook, it is the retracting single hook.