Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 technique, or 1000

Hybrid View

1 technique, or 1000

Do you have any "game changers" in your style? What's that 1 technique that defines your style? Have you explored it in all ranges? Can you make it work? Are you missing a valuable opportunity with what's been given to you in your traditional training?

---
    For me, it's the du sau. With patience, and if it's properly explored and trained, then, in theory, it should really be all that I need in a self defense or martial sport (with open fingered grappling gloves). Now there's a lot more to my style that's fascinating and worth exploring and combat effective, but without that fundamental du sau which can be used to great effect in the famous ou lou choi or just punching directly off of the hook with my other hand, then there's no mantis. But it's a real bread and butter technique. It's worth investing in. Do you have that in your style?

haymaker is the heart of longfist

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    sun fist is the heart of it from my reckoing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    sun fist is the heart of it from my reckoing.
    you are trolling me? what is sun fist?

Groin kick and eye poke/gouge. Its in every martial art out there. Yet no one uses it. Best freaking technique out there. I personally have used them in "altercations" Slows them down long enough to
    1) be able to flee
    2) give your buddies time to come and help ya
    3) pull out a weapon and go to town on them.
    Last edited by xcakid; 08-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Groin kick and eye poke/gouge. Its in every martial art out there. Yet no one uses it. Best freaking technique out there. I personally have used them in "altercations" Slows them down long enough to
    1) be able to flee
    2) give your buddies time to come and help ya
    3) pull out a weapon and go to town on them.
    You know, I have issue with the groin kick and the eye poke. If you are fighting a competent opponent, it's hard enough to land a solid punch, let alone get a finger in the eye, especially on the street.

Quick story. There was a guy who was being a douche and I stood up to him for somebody else. He was a bully, straight up. I had no intention on combat, I just wanted to protect his victim. We had words, I said what I had to say and was quite aggressive in my speech. He took a defensive posture then outta nowhere kicked me in the nutts. That is when I decided to hurt him. And I did. Groin kicks hurt like hell, but they do not incapacitate the way people believe. All it did was piss me off to the point where I went a lil overboard and boot stomped the guy. He basically had a free shot at first strike, and he chose poorly.

Haymaker is the most instinctive technique there is. Children know it without trying. When I trained Karate I was always told haymaker is the worst punch, always trained to never use it, throwing haymaker meant you lost control.

In Kung Fu I was taught to use haymaker without being open. Kung Fu took natural movement and refined it, instead of doing away with it. I have always respected that.

My favorite technique is sidekick. It has served me so well, so many times. My bread and butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post

Haymaker is the most instinctive technique there is. Children know it without trying. When I trained Karate I was always told haymaker is the worst punch, always trained to never use it, throwing haymaker meant you lost control.

In Kung Fu I was taught to use haymaker without being open. Kung Fu took natural movement and refined it, instead of doing away with it. I have always respected that.

My favorite technique is sidekick. It has served me so well, so many times. My bread and butter.
    As a finisher? To do damage? To keep distance? All the above?

I use front kick like a jab. I have never knocked anyone out with one. It would be nice, but my goal is to create distance and/or make them think twice about closing the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    As a finisher? To do damage? To keep distance? All the above?

I use front kick like a jab. I have never knocked anyone out with one. It would be nice, but my goal is to create distance and/or make them think twice about closing the gap.
    I usually use it as a counter when a punch is being thrown. Throw the kick at the same time and catch ribs or solar plexus. I've been able to knock the wind out of a lot of guys that way. I also use it for distance "teep" style.

Sidekick isn't good for KO because it's hard to land to the head. I think it's awesome for sending damage to the body though.

I never use front kick for damage, if it happens great, but that's never the goal. I use teep to control distance/set up attack and occasionally hop in snap kick to close distance, distract from the punch.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 08-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I usually use it as a counter when a punch is being thrown. Throw the kick at the same time and catch ribs or solar plexus. I've been able to knock the wind out of a lot of guys that way. I also use it for distance "teep" style.

Sidekick isn't good for KO because it's hard to land to the head. I think it's awesome for sending damage to the body though.

I never use front kick for damage, if it happens great, but that's never the goal. I use teep to control distance/set up attack and occasionally hop in snap kick to close distance, distract from the punch.
    Yeah, to be clear, I meant the push kick. So I'm with ya on that. It's a MT staple.

spirit of longfist is courage, and haymaker trains courage.

Blog Entries
    spirit of longfist is courage, and haymaker trains courage.
    The SC "head lock" is "haymaker". You use your forearm to hit on the back of your opponent's head in clinching range, after you have knocked him 1/2 way out, you then lock his head and take him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBktyN-aiNI
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The SC "head lock" is "haymaker". You use your forearm to hit on the back of your opponent's head in clinching range, after you have knocked him 1/2 way out, you then lock his head and take him down.

that is a good point, thank you for precious knowledge dr wang. *rubs testicles

A lot of people train Praying Mantis hook punch as a fist strike, but we make sure the students train as forearm smash for closer range followups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    du sau which can be used to great effect in the famous ou lou choi ...
    In the grappling art, the "搂手(Lou Shou)" is used more often than the "钩手(Gou Shou)" for 2 reasons:

- When you use left "搂手(Lou Shou)" on your opponent's right wrist, your thumb is facing down and on the right (your left) of his right arm. This will force him to rotate his right arm counter-clockwise (your clockwise), which will give you a chance to move your left hand "inside and on top" of his right upper arm.

- You can apply double "搂手(Lou Shou)" and control both your opponent's arms at the same time. When you can achieve that, you have force your opponent to play your grappling game and not his striking game.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument