Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 technique, or 1000

It's quite clear that you can go pretty far in a sport setting with a small set of high percentage techniques.

When you get into street and weapons, it get's a lil murky. But, personally, I believe the same methodology applies. Not to say there are catch all techniques for all weapons, but individually this applies. Like a set for knife defence, staff, stick, sidearm etc etc...

It really comes down to your goals and priorities. If street defence is your goal, you are best served to be a jack of all trades. To be at least functional in all likely scenarios.

"Jack of all trades master of none, often better than a master of one." is the real quote that is, more often than not, taken out of context and used incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Groin kick and eye poke/gouge. Its in every martial art out there. Yet no one uses it. Best freaking technique out there. I personally have used them in "altercations" Slows them down long enough to
    1) be able to flee
    2) give your buddies time to come and help ya
    3) pull out a weapon and go to town on them.
    You know, I have issue with the groin kick and the eye poke. If you are fighting a competent opponent, it's hard enough to land a solid punch, let alone get a finger in the eye, especially on the street.

Quick story. There was a guy who was being a douche and I stood up to him for somebody else. He was a bully, straight up. I had no intention on combat, I just wanted to protect his victim. We had words, I said what I had to say and was quite aggressive in my speech. He took a defensive posture then outta nowhere kicked me in the nutts. That is when I decided to hurt him. And I did. Groin kicks hurt like hell, but they do not incapacitate the way people believe. All it did was piss me off to the point where I went a lil overboard and boot stomped the guy. He basically had a free shot at first strike, and he chose poorly.

to build on that, i was having a debate with a female friend a few years about self defense. she didnt think that it was necessary to train any form of defensive awareness or combatives in regards to female sexual assaults. her reasoning was that she would just 'kick the guy in the balls'

i told her it was bs movie stuff and that it doesnt really effect a guy like they show in movies. especially an angry guy hell bent on raping you.

she didnt believe me so i gave her a free pass and stood there wide leg stance and told her to kick me in the nuts. she did, and ya it hurt like a beotch, but i immediately rushed her and took her to the ground and controlled her.

this event was especially gratifying since she was an ex.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

as far as eye gouging goes, im of two minds.

eye poke/gouge strikes are next to worthless. a controlled gougue can take an eye out easily if you want to go that far. by controlled i mean exactly that, not trying to poke or strike an eye, but having a dominant controlled position that allows you to apply controlled force to the eyeball with a thumb or finger with the intended purpose of taking or damaging the eye, or getting a fear response by threatening to do so.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Regarding groin kick/eye poke:
    In my observation, most experienced street-type fighters are well aware of these tactics, especially the groin kick. Depending on the person, the groin kick can incapacitate them, but don't count on it. For one thing, most men expect someone to try the ball shot...exceptions might include total non-fighters, and possibly some sport TKD/karate guys (for example) with no street experience. As already mentioned, more than likely it will p!ss off the recipient to even attempt it, and adrenaline often allows him to fight through the pain long enough to beat you down. If you try it, you'd better follow up immediately with other things and not rely on it as a fight-ender.

As far as eye attacks, if you've ever actually been thumbed in the eye, you know it hurts like a *****, and can be much more immediately incapacitating than a groin shot, if landed solidly. Most times they seem to happen by accident. In my teens, I took a thumb in the eye intended to be a punch, that I'm surprised didn't tear a retina nor had any lasting effects. I still rate it as the worst and most incapacitating pain ever. Immediately after the strike, I had my eye tightly closed, and when touching the lids, it felt like the eyeball had been 'pushed in'. Gradually I had the ability to open my eye and it was back to normal, though blurry for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    In my observation, most experienced street-type fighters are well aware of these tactics, especially the groin kick. Depending on the person, the groin kick can incapacitate them, but don't count on it.
    Results can vary.

I did see one guy get get kicked hard enough to crack his groin cup. He passed out from the pain.

But yeah, follow up.

8 key combinations is our take. The Bast Faat.

You get 1, then another, then another, different students pick different ones in different orders based upon what they do well.... Not forms, fighting combos that come after forms. The pointy end of the stick.

And, seniors generally each develop a 'signature' move, or two.

Less is indeed more. IMHO. When it comes to fighting.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    In my observation, most experienced street-type fighters are well aware of these tactics, especially the groin kick. Depending on the person, the groin kick can incapacitate them, but don't count on it. For one thing, most men expect someone to try the ball shot...exceptions might include total non-fighters, and possibly some sport TKD/karate guys (for example) with no street experience. As already mentioned, more than likely it will p!ss off the recipient to even attempt it, and adrenaline often allows him to fight through the pain long enough to beat you down. If you try it, you'd better follow up immediately with other things and not rely on it as a fight-ender.

As far as eye attacks, if you've ever actually been thumbed in the eye, you know it hurts like a *****, and can be much more immediately incapacitating than a groin shot, if landed solidly. Most times they seem to happen by accident. In my teens, I took a thumb in the eye intended to be a punch, that I'm surprised didn't tear a retina nor had any lasting effects. I still rate it as the worst and most incapacitating pain ever. Immediately after the strike, I had my eye tightly closed, and when touching the lids, it felt like the eyeball had been 'pushed in'. Gradually I had the ability to open my eye and it was back to normal, though blurry for a bit.
    That eyeball pushed in thing sucks. Happened to me before, but from a punch, not a thumb. Buckled my knees.
    Groin attacks (my experience) have a delay before the real pain kicks in, and in that small window, you can still strike back, if you don't freak.
    Eye attacks make people flinch and shift more, even if you miss, and a light rake is massive distraction. This makes an opening maybe? Groin is a finisher.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    to build on that, i was having a debate with a female friend a few years about self defense. she didnt think that it was necessary to train any form of defensive awareness or combatives in regards to female sexual assaults. her reasoning was that she would just 'kick the guy in the balls'

i told her it was bs movie stuff and that it doesnt really effect a guy like they show in movies. especially an angry guy hell bent on raping you.

she didnt believe me so i gave her a free pass and stood there wide leg stance and told her to kick me in the nuts. she did, and ya it hurt like a beotch, but i immediately rushed her and took her to the ground and controlled her.

this event was especially gratifying since she was an ex.
    You sir, are a brave man. Now, I can fight and cause harm under these conditions, but make no mistake, I really didn't like it. In fact it hurt enough for me to go from protecting an innocent to victimizing the bully. From a legal standpoint, after the first kick to the head, I was fully in the wrong. Yet I kept going and I don't regret it even a little bit. Thankfully, he was too much of a lil dick alpha wannabe to call the police, he just denied it ever happened to anyone who wasn't there. We actually had words again a few weeks later. I was totally bringing my knee in for that convo, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    as far as eye gouging goes, im of two minds.

eye poke/gouge strikes are next to worthless. a controlled gougue can take an eye out easily if you want to go that far. by controlled i mean exactly that, not trying to poke or strike an eye, but having a dominant controlled position that allows you to apply controlled force to the eyeball with a thumb or finger with the intended purpose of taking or damaging the eye, or getting a fear response by threatening to do so.
    Yeah, but if you are in the position to do that, you are in the wrong if you do it. That's my point, if you can outclass them so easily, why such harsh measures?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    haymaker is the heart of longfist

Haymaker is the most instinctive technique there is. Children know it without trying. When I trained Karate I was always told haymaker is the worst punch, always trained to never use it, throwing haymaker meant you lost control.

In Kung Fu I was taught to use haymaker without being open. Kung Fu took natural movement and refined it, instead of doing away with it. I have always respected that.

My favorite technique is sidekick. It has served me so well, so many times. My bread and butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post

Haymaker is the most instinctive technique there is. Children know it without trying. When I trained Karate I was always told haymaker is the worst punch, always trained to never use it, throwing haymaker meant you lost control.

In Kung Fu I was taught to use haymaker without being open. Kung Fu took natural movement and refined it, instead of doing away with it. I have always respected that.

My favorite technique is sidekick. It has served me so well, so many times. My bread and butter.
    As a finisher? To do damage? To keep distance? All the above?

I use front kick like a jab. I have never knocked anyone out with one. It would be nice, but my goal is to create distance and/or make them think twice about closing the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    As a finisher? To do damage? To keep distance? All the above?

I use front kick like a jab. I have never knocked anyone out with one. It would be nice, but my goal is to create distance and/or make them think twice about closing the gap.
    I usually use it as a counter when a punch is being thrown. Throw the kick at the same time and catch ribs or solar plexus. I've been able to knock the wind out of a lot of guys that way. I also use it for distance "teep" style.

Sidekick isn't good for KO because it's hard to land to the head. I think it's awesome for sending damage to the body though.

I never use front kick for damage, if it happens great, but that's never the goal. I use teep to control distance/set up attack and occasionally hop in snap kick to close distance, distract from the punch.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 08-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I usually use it as a counter when a punch is being thrown. Throw the kick at the same time and catch ribs or solar plexus. I've been able to knock the wind out of a lot of guys that way. I also use it for distance "teep" style.

Sidekick isn't good for KO because it's hard to land to the head. I think it's awesome for sending damage to the body though.

I never use front kick for damage, if it happens great, but that's never the goal. I use teep to control distance/set up attack and occasionally hop in snap kick to close distance, distract from the punch.
    Yeah, to be clear, I meant the push kick. So I'm with ya on that. It's a MT staple.

spirit of longfist is courage, and haymaker trains courage.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC