Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Cirsus of Shaolin or not ?

i'm not the one who brought up the [who contributes issue]

Contributing to the forum has nothing to do with buying the magazine. You brought that up and called it mooching if you post here but don't buy the mag. You're being ridiculous. All I've really seen you do on here is whine about things. Your contribution doesn't compare to bawang's or pazman's. Just drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    i have written 5 articles for this magazine, at least one has been called genius by the editor himself.the point is i contribute to this magazine,[the same magazine that supports and runs the message board you live on],and you don't even buy it. you are a blood sucking leech, is the point.
    I suppose spelling incorrectly makes you look "cool." You only look stupid. With only 146 posts, one can barely say I live on this board. Your buddy Bawang lives on this forum with how many posts? I don'y buy magazines anymore and these forums are free, so whose blood am I sucking? You must be a racist "genius" from the hood wannabe with the whitey remarks. What's your problem?

i spell bad cause i have dyslexia[kill me] like i said before there are givers and there are takers. i write great article and post interesting videos, you guys use the message board.

In all honesty, I posted the contribution thing in jest, mostly because karate chopping tree braces should be made fun of.

But then wiz cool c turned into this:

Whatever you do...

...you should buy our magazine.

Our NOV+DEC 2013 issue includes a FREE EXCLUSIVE DVD FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY. You must be subscribed before 9/10/13.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i understand but i mean what is a cirsus? sry i dont know if thats a word i am not familiar with?
    A fun place which is actobats doing shows and actobatic plays.
    Some magic shows, lions jump through fire rings **)

I prefer 'cirsus' in this case

The ironic thing is that Kung Fu is a major part of circus and has been for centuries. Kung Fu literally just means 'skill', exactly the kind of skill that circus performers attain. But beyond that, the tradition of opera and street theater in China is very intimately entwined with Kung Fu. So many Westerners don't get that. They narrow martial arts down to 'just fighting' and think that's all that's valuable or genuine. It's taking a centuries-old tradition and trying to fit it into modern-day twitter ADHD. Kung Fu has a much broader range. It encompasses skilled entertainment too. So actually, something like Shaolin in the Circus, is quite traditional.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

okay thats what i thot...but i think its spelled circus. no judgement i was just confused.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Nice info, however what i meant was the whether if temple was rearly show place.
    Yes, seldom some people think its just about fighting,learning some techniques to use in fight. (Fact that they never success)
    I think ones who want to learn just "fighting" or "selfdefence" should not study kung fu but study any fighting system.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The ironic thing is that Kung Fu is a major part of circus and has been for centuries. Kung Fu literally just means 'skill', exactly the kind of skill that circus performers attain. But beyond that, the tradition of opera and street theater in China is very intimately entwined with Kung Fu. So many Westerners don't get that. They narrow martial arts down to 'just fighting' and think that's all that's valuable or genuine. It's taking a centuries-old tradition and trying to fit it into modern-day twitter ADHD. Kung Fu has a much broader range. It encompasses skilled entertainment too. So actually, something like Shaolin in the Circus, is quite traditional.
    thanks Gene, that was a good timely remark. there are ancient statutes of people standing around, watching street performers' kong fu skills. in those statues the performers are doing highly advanced level Tong Zi Gong (child skills) stretching and balance postures and some cumbersome acrobatics. one of those statutes i saw was from Tang dynasty (618-907 AD, much more than 1000 years ago!)!

the joke is that most the westerner so-called "MASTERS" say with absolute confidence, that acrobatics are not traditional, such nonsenses! unfortunately, the load of ridiculous martial arts made up in the recent centuries causes many of us to have ridiculous thoughts about martial arts in general.
    Last edited by SHemmati; 09-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Nice info, however what i meant was the whether if temple was rearly show place.
    Yes, seldom some people think its just about fighting,learning some techniques to use in fight. (Fact that they never success)
    I think ones who want to learn just "fighting" or "selfdefence" should not study kung fu but study any fighting system.
    Depends. If you like the mountains and corn fields there then go there and train. Or if you like the constellations in the sky at 4 am and the sound of trucks and roosters.

But the important thing is I do own a copy of the magazine. (may/june 2005) Bought it used though.
    Last edited by rett; 09-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's better to argue with Bawang whether or not "powerlifting = combat" than to argue with some MMA guy whether or not "TCMA sucks". At least Bawang is "one of us".

Onetime he challenged me to show him my powerlifting clip (he assumed that I don't lift weight), he would show me his powerlifting clip. After I had shown him mine, he did show me his through a PM. He is a man who keeps his words.
    No he's not. Several years ago he said he was going to fly to meet me in the park by my house in his helicopter so we can fight to the death...I am still here waiting....

i stole his helicopter and i joyride in it
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    No he's not. Several years ago he said he was going to fly to meet me in the park by my house in his helicopter so we can fight to the death...I am still here waiting....
    HaHaHa! Where was the helicopter supposed to land?