Thread: The Sword Master's Apprentice

The Sword Master's Apprentice

I stumbled across this ebook on Amazon, its a tale of man's martial journey as an Uchideshi, a live in student in the Japanese art of Aikido. What initially drew my interest was the fact that the Dojo was one I was familiar with, San Diego Aikikai is a school where I had taken a few introductory lessons in Aikido and decided it wasn't for me. Based on Edward Burke's book, I might have missed out on a fantastic opportunity to train with an imposing martial arts master.

The Art of Aikido, has plenty of detractors, it's had share of "Ki" masters with no touch throws and at times an almost cult like worship of its founder Morihei Ueshiba aka O'Sensei. I found Burke's accounting honest, grounded, and he takes an analytical approach to his training and the application of the art.

Ed Burke is a Brit by birth, although he doesn't name any specific styles, trained in mostly Chinese and Japanese striking arts since he was a young boy. It's not clear what led him into Aikido but martial training has been the one constant in his life...as the book begins he's in his 30's as some sort of Hedge Fund manager in Britain's equivalent of Wall Street. With the financial crisis looming Burke decides to pursue his martial dreams and commit himself for the next year or so to this endeavor.

The real star of this book is Chiba Sensei, a 7th or 8th level Dan of Aikido...a legendary Aikido figure himself. He was a former direct Uchideshi of Aikido's founder, O'Sensei. I've read several tales of Chiba Sensei, as Uchideshi, taking on many challengers at Aikido's Hombo Dojo in Japan... even defeating one with a groin strike. Chiba Sensei has a voracious temper and his moods are often unpredictable to his students. They are both in awe and in fear of him as they struggle to meet his approval. He is demanding as an Instructor and what many would probably consider verbally abusive to his students. There are other personalities well represented here, the dojo dynamic and politics are laid out for your viewing. It's refreshing contrast to know you will only earn your rank through blood, sweat, and tears at SD Aikikai.

I won't give away any more details other than to say I highly recommend this book if you enjoy first person accounts in martial arts.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Swordmaste...422544&sr=8-1&
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Thanks for the heads-up on the book, Hebrew Hammer. This is definitely going on my list of "to get" books.

No worries, let me know what you think after you've read it.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost