Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sifu Wang Zhi Peng Wooden Dummy Explanation

Wang Zhi Peng at it again. This guy is freakin awesome. Some will say he added shuai jiao to his Ving Tsun (which has its truth to it of course), but he seemed to say himself (according to translations which can be shady) that throwing was a part of all chinese arts in some sense. You all saw it for yourselves, he's not making up new Ving Tsun, just looking at the same thing in a light that some people may not be used to. Cross training opens the mind.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Haha, it has since 2005!
    ...........2005?..............it says 2006 on your profile!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    ...........2005?..............it says 2006 on your profile!
    Does it?? I was having a guess............

7 long drawn out years wasted for both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    7 long drawn out years wasted for both of us!
    Hahahahaah.......... what else would we ***** about!?!?

Good point. As this forum is like comedy central most of the time we could be those two guys off the Fosters advert. I'm assuming you get that there.

Toodleroo!

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    I swear. It's amazing how dense people are. To QUOTE again.

WZP while showing his palm pushing on his partners throat/lower jaw: "It's not pushing. You should always PRACTICE your strength." relating it, by then showing an example, to you should instead be releasing power into the partner. He gives an example of what PB did 20 some odd times in that 1:37 clip, by example, to show what not to do. "It's not pushing him. What if he comes toward me and I cannot push him away?"
    Pushing with the palm is just a way of showing what position you are in wrt the opponent in chi sau. There are also intentional pushes, but he is not discussing these here, he is focusing on palm strikes.

The way I read what he is saying is that he comes from the dummy (where you practice "your strength") and shows why you need to remember the palm is a strike with a person. I don't think he is asking for full power palm strikes to the partner in chi sau and gor sau (which is what PB is doing)..do you? If he is then I think he is talking nonsense, but I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

While full power bare knuckle sparring is necessary as often as you can manage it, I don't see the point in whacking your opponent in the cooperative drill that is chi sau.

We use the palm on the dummy so we don't damage the fist and also in certain situations to correct the shoulders. It's ok to palm strike in fighting if the person wants to but most of the "hits" on the dummy are punches and for improve/develop the elbow behaviour.

The Po pai jeung section in the dummy is abstract. We are training many different things inside that sequence of movements.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Pushing with the palm is just a way of showing what position you are in wrt the opponent in chi sau. There are also intentional pushes, but he is not discussing these here, he is focusing on palm strikes.

The way I read what he is saying is that he comes from the dummy (where you practice "your strength") and shows why you need to remember the palm is a strike with a person. I don't think he is asking for full power palm strikes to the partner in chi sau and gor sau (which is what PB is doing)..do you? If he is then I think he is talking nonsense, but I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

While full power bare knuckle sparring is necessary as often as you can manage it, I don't see the point in whacking your opponent in the cooperative drill that is chi sau.
    I would say that's a accurate break down of what he was trying to convey Just people want too only believe what they think is right. But the reality is there way off the mark
    Last edited by Jansingsang; 08-07-2013 at 11:17 AM.

sifu wang dummy

hi guys my first teacher Barry pang trained with Wong, for a time . mister pang is very big on borrowing force and dissolving it . with good footwork and body position and side stepping or stepping out to the side , I have always thought this is a very good approach, but as Mr. pang does not give the wooden dummy to his students to 20 years with him it is a weakness of there teaching . wing chun is not just about straight punches it about how you develop it for your own needs ps Philip bayer is really good but as someone said Wong may have taught people differently. and I don't like to say this in public but I thought Barry pang was much better than Wong Wong's kung fu was for Hong Kong. Mr pangs was more for the western world . Like the great Stephan tk Chan the person from hk that has a more modern approach cherrs
    russellsherry