Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forms?

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Lucas I just noticed your location. that's awesome your from midgard, I know some people there. much better place than my current location of Niflheim, of course nothing beats asgard.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

forms ?

Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    I was wondering what people look for in good forms from people that can use them.

I have seen some forms that look absolutely beautiful. Lots of snap, rotational power, deep stances and the like, but once I spar with them or watch them do it, they can't use it. On the other hand, I have seen kung fu guys with absolutely lazy forms but can beat the ever living crap out of you.

In my sifus hop gar, we don't snap a lot and people don't find our forms pretty, but apparently, David Chin's Hop Gar has a reputation for that and fighting hahaha

I'm just wondering if there is a general guide line to go by when looking at forms to see if people can use it or if ultimately its anyones guess when just looking at forms.
    That ' s because Sifu David Chin knows how to fight using movements from the forms , well in TCMA forms can also be called sets . It ' s really up to you to ask the Sifu the usages behind each movement of the form or set . Then learn how to fight using the applications or usages from the set . Theres' a reason behind each movement of the set . Each style or system has a certain number of set , in each set theres' certain number of moves all representing a kick or punch , block or interception hand techniques . If theres' a knee raise and kick , it could represent a knee strike as you move into your opponents body followed by a kick to the body area of the opponent .

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Lucas I just noticed your location. that's awesome your from midgard, I know some people there. much better place than my current location of Niflheim, of course nothing beats asgard.
    I hear shat burns cold down there!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I don't know what to tell you to look at forms, but some are good and some are bad.

But even the most mundane form can have value. Take Tan Tui. It's a common form. Because of the Jing Wu, a lot of schools have it. It can be seen as boring at face value and a lot of students don't like it. It's linear, the applications aren't that apparent and it can seem unrealistic. But, if you just take one thing from that form, it's name sake - the springy leg kick (a sneaky, sharp, forceful toe kick targeted just below your opponent's knee cap) and master that one thing. Combine that springy leg kick with the 5 D's of dodge ball, and with a little bit of sparring practice, you'd be more than a match for any school yard or frat boy bully.