Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida Police

Nice way to wake up! More overkill and negligence. This is what bullshit assumptions get you.

http://www.latimes.com/mobile/la-ln-...,6527295.story

Lancaster couple awarded $4.1 million in sheriff's shooting

A federal judge has awarded $4.1 million to a couple shot 15 times by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies while the man and woman were homeless and living in a shack.

Angel and Jennifer Lynn Mendez were lying on a futon in a wooden shack in the backyard of a private Lancaster residence in October 2010, when two sheriff’s deputies, Christopher Conley and Jennifer (Pederson) Ballis, entered unannounced, according to court documents.

The deputies were searching for a parolee-at-large, whom they believed to be armed and dangerous, court documents state. The couple alleged in the lawsuit against the sheriff’s department that the deputies had no search warrant.

The deputies entered the 7-feet-by-7-feet shack without knocking and saw a BB gun Angel Mendez kept to shoot rats and other pests, according to the decision signed by U.S. District Court Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald.

When the deputies entered the shack, they saw the BB gun, and Conley yelled “Gun!” according to the judge’s decision. When they started firing, the deputies did not see Jennifer Mendez, who was five months pregnant.

Angel Mendez was shot 14 times, according to the couple’s lawsuit, and his right leg was amputated below the knee. Jennifer Mendez was shot once, according to the lawsuit.

The deputies testified they did not think the shack was a habitable structure and the only person who would have been in it would have been the parolee trying to hide, according to court documents. The parolee was not found on the property.

The court awarded Angel Mendez $3.9 million based on his claim of excessive force by the deputies, documents state. The award was to cover past and future medical care, future surgeries and loss of earnings.

Jennifer Mendez was awarded more than $222,000.

Here's a fun story from Texas. Another example of EXTREME overkill. Good thing they seized that okra and rooted those damn sunflowers!

Texas Police Hit Organic Farm With Massive SWAT Raid

A small organic farm in Arlington, Texas, was the target of a massive police action last week that included aerial surveillance, a SWAT raid and a 10-hour search.

Members of the local police raiding party had a search warrant for marijuana plants, which they failed to find at the Garden of Eden farm. But farm owners and residents who live on the property told a Dallas-Ft. Worth NBC station that the real reason for the law enforcement exercise appears to have been code enforcement. The police seized "17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants ... native grasses and sunflowers," after holding residents inside at gunpoint for at least a half-hour, property owner Shellie Smith said in a statement. The raid lasted about 10 hours, she said.

Local authorities had cited the Garden of Eden in recent weeks for code violations, including "grass that was too tall, bushes growing too close to the street, a couch and piano in the yard, chopped wood that was not properly stacked, a piece of siding that was missing from the side of the house, and generally unclean premises," Smith's statement said. She said the police didn't produce a warrant until two hours after the raid began, and officers shielded their name tags so they couldn't be identified. According to ABC affiliate WFAA, resident Quinn Eaker was the only person arrested -- for outstanding traffic violations.

The city of Arlington said in a statement that the code citations were issued to the farm following complaints by neighbors, who were "concerned that the conditions" at the farm "interfere with the useful enjoyment of their properties and are detrimental to property values and community appearance." The police SWAT raid came after "the Arlington Police Department received a number of complaints that the same property owner was cultivating marijuana plants on the premises," the city's statement said. "No cultivated marijuana plants were located on the premises," the statement acknowledged.

The raid on the Garden of Eden farm appears to be the latest example of police departments using SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics to enforce less serious crimes. A Fox television affiliate reported this week, for example, that police in St. Louis County, Mo., brought out the SWAT team to serve an administrative warrant. The report went on to explain that all felony warrants are served with a SWAT team, regardless whether the crime being alleged involves violence.

In recent years, SWAT teams have been called out to perform regulatory alcohol inspections at a bar in Manassas Park, Va.; to raid bars for suspected underage drinking in New Haven, Conn.; to perform license inspections at barbershops in Orlando, Fla.; and to raid a gay bar in Atlanta where police suspected customers and employees were having public sex. A federal investigation later found that Atlanta police had made up the allegations of public sex.

Other raids have been conducted on food co-ops and Amish farms suspected of selling unpasteurized milk products. The federal government has for years been conducting raids on medical marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized them, even though the businesses operate openly and are unlikely to pose any threat to the safety of federal enforcers.

Radley Balko is a senior writer and investigative reporter for The Huffington Post. He is also the author of the new book, Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces.

This story has been updated to clarify that a federal investigation found that the Atlanta police officers who raided a gay bar had made up the allegations of public sex.

This is a problem, and those who don't see that are also a problem. I have no doubt that if this trend continues to increase, there will be some more problems. I am starting to understand why some of the 2nd amendment freaks are citing police as a reason for building an armory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3764951.html

Ahhh, there are so many current ones to post, but these last two I found interesting. More to come, of that there is NO DOUBT!

After 9/11 a ton of money went to supplies for local depts. Like having a shiny fancy car, why take the Corolla when you can take the Bentley. Gear up and roll out. It's like a LE wet dream.
    Last edited by Syn7; 08-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Another crime of blackness?

You have to wonder what the outcomes would have been had he looked different. Big black guy banging on doors at night, that is beyond scary for some folks. Had it been a white man of the same shape and size in a suit, would we be reading this story?

N.C. cop shot ex-football player 10 times

Jonathan Ferrell was seeking help after a car wreck early Saturday. Officer due in court Tuesday on manslaughter charge

An unarmed former Florida A&M football player killed early Saturday by a North Carolina officer was shot 10 times, police said Monday.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Officer Randall Kerrick gunned down Jonathan A. Ferrell while responding to an alleged break-in. Police said the 24-year-old Ferrell walked about a half-mile after surviving a serious car crash and was seeking help at a home about 2:30 a.m. The homeowner call 911.

Officers reported that Ferrell ran toward them and did not stop after being shot with a Taser. The 27-year-old Kerrick fired 12 rounds, hitting Ferrell 10 times, with several bullets hitting him in the chest.

Kerrick, who joined the force in April 2011, was charged with voluntary manslaughter and freed on $50,000 bond. He is due in court Tuesday.

Police initially called Kerrick's actions "appropriate and lawful" but later Saturday determined that the shooting was "excessive" and that Kerrick "did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter." A police statement Monday reiterated the subsequent findings.

"The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department reiterates that this is a very unfortunate incident and it has devastated a family as well as caused a great deal of sadness and anxiety in our organization," the statement said.
    At a morning news conference, Ferrell's mother said she has forgiven Kerrick.

"I just hope he gets off the force," Georgia Ferrell said, the Charlotte Observer reported.

"He took a piece out of my heart that can never be put back," she added. "A piece of me is gone."

She described her son as "a great guy, a very successful man" who had moved to Charlotte to continue his education and improve his life. He was working two jobs, at Dillard's and Best Buy, and was recently engaged to be married.

Ferrell played safety for FAMU during the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Family attorney Christopher Chestnut questioned whether race was a factor in the shooting.

"The officer is white, Mr. Ferrell is black," he said. "This might be more of a reflection of where we are as a country."

He added, however, that "violence in this country ... might be the real issue here."
    When did people become such pussies?

Did you move to the states or something? I thought you were a BC dude.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There are so many examples I want to post but it's just so much that I cherry pick ones that are more relevant here. I considered posting about the appeal for the perjury acquittal stemming from the Dziekanski hearings, but I figured most people here wouldn't know the story. There are dozens of good ones from my own backyard. Like the inmate that got shot in the head in the interrogation room while cuffed or the guy that was shot like 14 times from 25 feet away because he had a chain. The list is long, so I cherry pick. Know what I'm sayin? Or how bout your backyard. The kid on the bus would be a good one. Interesting to see a murder charge for a change. Very rare.

I am from BC, but I lived in Cali too. I'm not a US citizen, but their police culture fascinates me on a few levels. Plus there is a way bigger pool to choose from.

Comparative analyses per a discipline is an excellent of trends and frequency of an incident, to wit, depriving citizens of their right due to an inborn prejudice or just because you can, which appears to be the motto of US Police State Apparatus Process.

If I compare the psychology of the aforementioned officer, I would never find that a person designated as Hispanic, Asian or African descended individual in the US based racial categorization system, shooting any White designated person, based on the rational of the incident mentioned. It just never happens!

You using google translate, son?

Marlon Brown: Family Of Slain Fla. Man Release Video Of Him Being Run Over By Police [GRAPHIC VIDEO]

http://newsone.com/2724076/marlon-br...ver-by-police/

No criminal charges. Again. The video is quite clear, he mowed him down. Period.

At least he got canned. How do you think this would go down if somebody who wasn't a cop did this(for any reason).

Why even go to the grand jury?

internal investigation

How does an internal investigation work? what they need is an outside 3rd party coming in to investigate them (the police), not the police themselves (the department that was RESPONSIBLE for this in the 1st place.) That's how I see it- until then nothing will change.

This one is pretty classy. Google the video. Freakin brutal.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...police-officer

Woman sues Skokie and officer, citing injury after DUI arrest
    Says reconstructive surgery was needed

A Chicago woman has sued the village of Skokie and one of its police officers, alleging she was seriously injured after being shoved headfirst into a jail cell bench after a drunken driving arrest last winter.

Cassandra Feuerstein, 47, said in a federal lawsuit that the incident required facial reconstructive surgery and the insertion of a titanium plate to "replace the bones that had been shattered."

Part of the alleged incident was recorded on jail video cameras, which Feuerstein's attorney, Torreya Hamilton, released Wednesday.

"The video speaks for itself," Hamilton said. "She does nothing to justify what this male police officer does."

In a written statement released today, Village Manager Albert Rigoni said the village has “deep concern for Ms. Cassandra Feuerstein’s injuries that occurred at the Skokie Police Station.” The statement said that an officer involved has been placed on station duty, with no contact with the public, while both the village and the state’s attorney investigate.

Feuerstein was arrested for drunken driving March 10, according to Hamilton and court documents. The video shows officers searching Feuerstein inside the jail cell, where she appears to be asked to remove her boots and bra before being removed from the cell for additional processing.

An officer then takes Feuerstein by the arm and appears to push her back into the cell. Video shows Feuerstein falling forward and striking her head and face on a bench, before officers and paramedics tend to her as a pool of blood spreads on the floor.

"If this was a tavern fight, which of course it wasn't, it'd be like she got sucker-punched," Hamilton said.

In addition to a drunken driving charge, Feuerstein was charged with resisting a police officer. A Cook County court document filed by police said Feuerstein "knowingly resisted … in that she pulled away from (the officer) and placed both her hands on the sides of the cell door all in an attempt to not be placed into the holding cell."

The lawsuit also alleges the officer made false statements to others in the Skokie Police Department about why he pushed Feuerstein into the jail cell, causing his fellow officers to write false reports on the incident.

Feuerstein pleaded guilty to the DUI charge, but county officials dropped the resisting arrest charges. The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of damages.

The village said other officers who were present at the time of the alleged incident, both male and female, have been interviewed and “treated Ms. Feuerstein with professionalism and respect.”

The village values the police department’s “high professional standards and reputation and is deeply concerned about this isolated incident,” the statement continued. “… The Village of Skokie is committed to reaching a full resolution in this matter.”

jjperez@tribune.com
    Yet another fine example. And this happens when they know they are being filmed. I've personally seen far worse when there were no cameras around. The guy obviously had no problem with how he treated her until she got hurt, then self preservation kicks in. Douchebag. This tells me that such treatment is common place for this guy and possibly in that whole department. Nobody can tell me that any cop who's been around hasn't seen stuff like this where nobody was seriously hurt and didn't do anything about it. With that kind of atmosphere, it's just a matter of time before somebody gets hurt. And when there is little to no accountability in so many cases like this, no wonder it's so bad.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-14-2013 at 02:45 PM.