Thread: Private Lessons

Blog Entries

Private Lessons

In private lesson, will your teacher be your training partner, do partner drills with you, spar/wrestle with you? Will he allow you to punch him on the face, or throw him onto the ground? In the 1 on 1 situation, how will he be able to teach you a throwing technique if he won't allow you to use him as your throwing partner?

Your thought?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In private lesson, will your teacher be your training partner, do partner drills with you, spar/wrestle with you? Will he allow you to punch him on the face, or throw him onto the ground? In the 1 on 1 situation, how will he be able to teach you a throwing technique if he won't allow you to use him as your throwing partner?

Your thought?
    All of the above.

When I started teaching, it was more to have someone to work out with, than to teach.

I get punched in the face, but its not like I let them....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    All of the above.

When I started teaching, it was more to have someone to work out with, than to teach.
    That is a good attitude, IMO. Too many people put their teacher on a pedestal and forget he is only human. Often the teacher will encourage this belief without expressly saying so. Then the teacher will be reluctant to cross hands with the better students. If he gets hit he will lose some face. So he must avoid crossing hands or alter the rules so he will always look good.

If you put it in people's heads that everyone can/will get hit, size does matter, techniques don't always work and we are all just human, then it's not shameful to get knocked down, thrown or tapped out. It's a natural and necessary part of everyone's training. Shifu included.

If Shifu is not crossing hands, his skill is stagnating, or lowering. I think it his responsibility to maintain a high level of skill and lead by example. He should show he is unafraid to risk danger.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    I share the same attitude as well. Sometime I only teach whatever I feel like to train that day instead of what a student should learn at his level.

the role of shifu is not to be a parasite and leech your money day after day. the role of shifu is to plant a seed.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

private sparring lessons?

There are elements of learning that are one on one and there are elements that require a partner.

The student will learn more from training with someone better than them than the same or less than them, so yes, teacher is also partner in the case where a person is actually learning the dynamics of the fight experience.

Privates can sometimes involve help from a sihing as well. In my experience that's how it was. Real tactical stuff is not taught in a compliant atmosphere after learning what a tech is and how to drop it anyway.

arm hanger compliance techniques teaching is dead. And if it isn't then you should kill it because truly, it is completely useless as a method. It teaches nothing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I share the same attitude as well. Sometime I only teach whatever I feel like to train that day instead of what a student should learn at his level.
    Well, I try to accomodate both.

There are things that I'm interested in working on, and there are ways to present for the students ability.

My first student actually had a lot of background in other martial arts and was already a teacher, so I didn't have to go too slow for him.

And for more novice students, I'm interested in continuing their development from class to class. So I have stuff they can work on at their level, and I can still partner with them to work on more advance things for myself.

One example is when I want to student to learn an aggressive attack. My own training is to be his target and to see how close I can let him get and still make him miss without using brute force.

Or I can work on yielding and slipping and positioning to control his center and unbalance him, but still save him from getting hurt when he is about to fly into the ground.
    Last edited by -N-; 08-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, I try to accomodate both.

There are things that I'm interested in working on, and there are ways to present for the students ability.
    Since I'll always repeat a drill 20 times on my student, and then let him to use me as partner and repeat 20 times for his training, I don't feel guilty about using my student as my personal training partner. If I look at this from my student's point of view. My student will know exactly what my favor moves are. He could be an exactly copy of myself.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Your thought?

I teach 1/2hr private lessons. Yes, I do spar with my students and yes they do on occasion hit me in the face as a result. More so with the advanced. Have had my nose bloodied even. Shuai Chiao, Chin-Na everything. Although when they are just learning the technique, I have someone else partner with them so that I can see if they are doing it right or wrong. I also try to partner them with people of different size, specially in Shuai Chiao techniques, just to make sure they can apply it.

I fully believe that a teacher, age limitation permitting (can't expect an 80 yr old sparring a sixteen yr. old MMA style), should be able to mix it up with his/her students. I am always leery of teachers that won't spar with their students.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

you get what you pay for.

Average cost of a 1 hr Private lesson is between $100 and $250 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    you get what you pay for.

Average cost of a 1 hr Private lesson is between $100 and $250 an hour.
    That is interesting!

When I would teach, daily lessons were 90 minutes and more and I charged $250.00 per month Personally, anything higher would be robbery and I wanted student to have a frame of reference to gauge CMA breath and depth of training.

Repetition and conditioning were the key points and I got to work on stuff myself or my students comments so I also learned form the lessons.

If I were to pay 100-250/hour I had better be able to walk on water after 2 months

Even with my last teacher, I would come into the school by 6pm, and not leave until 9pm. There was no additional charge, I would learn stuff I forgot and I would get a chance to see my teacher work out to pick up stuff ???
    Last edited by mawali; 08-08-2013 at 08:02 AM.

the kung fu business boom is long gone. if you want easy money sell your ass on the streets.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-08-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

oh and I forgot to say that is referenced for Full Time Professional Martial Arts teachers who run their own school as their only source of income.

Individuals who teach but only part time as they have other employment or means of income due tend to cost less since they don't need to pull a salary.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I charged $250.00 per month Personally, anything higher would be robbery
    $251 would have been crazy.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!