Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's not in the forms

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No form or series of forms can "catalog" all the techniques of any system, ...
    It can be done but somebody has to do it. First you collect all the tools that you will need in combat.

- front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, hook kick, jump kick, crescent kick, ...
    - jab, cross, hook, uppercut, hammer fist, back fist, ...
    - finger lock, wrist lock, elbow lock, shoulder lock, head lock, bear hug, ...
    - single leg, double legs, hip throw, leg spring, leg lift, leg twist, ...

You then link them into a logical order and in different forms. Those "universal toolbox" can be trained by all MA systems. You can then add "snake engine", "monkey engine", ... whatever that body method that you prefer to use those tools.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It can be done but somebody has to do it. First you collect all the tools that you will need in combat.

- front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, hook kick, jump kick, crescent kick, ...

You then link them into a logical order and in different forms. Those "universal toolbox" can be trained by all MA systems. You can then add "snake engine", "monkey engine", ... whatever that body method that you prefer to use those tools.
    "The earliest conception of boxing-that it consisted of a system of tricks-is not dead yet in some quarters. I find that nearly every pupil who comes to me for first lessons is so impressed. The notion dies hard. A few months since the boxing master of one of the leading athletic clubs received a letter from the secretary of a country club asking him if he knew of a teacher who knew a hundred points whom he could recommend; "for," said the writer, "we have one who teaches sixty points, but should prefer one with more extended knowledge."
    Outing magazine, February, 1891, No. 17, p. 447-452.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Can and should don't always go together...

The old adage of "fear the man that has practiced 1 move 1000 times over the man that has practiced 1000 moves once" is quite correct.

Personally , I think that what forms were suppose to be was this:
    A master would tend to favour certain moves and combos, based on his own personal fight experience and, hopefully, that of his students.
    He would then pass those on in the form of a "form", so the students that KNEW them already ( and the principles behind them) can train them solo.

These forms were NOT etched in stone and moves that were NOT found to be effective for student A or B, would be dropped and/or modified by THEM so as to be effective ( hence variations in forms over the generations and lineages).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sounds like I need to use my "pimp engine" and inflate my "pimp back hand" to use on the OP.

Blog Entries
    Our body parts can perform the following different number of functions.

1. hand - 50,
    2. elbow - 10,
    3. shoulder - 4,
    4. elbow - 6,
    5. chest - 6,
    6. leg - 20,
    7.foot - 20,
    8. waist - 10,
    9. head - 10,
    10. hip - 5.

We should start from those functions to understand TCMA development. For example, when your opponent get hold on your leg, if you use hip function "sit", it will be harder for your opponent to lift up your leg.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-08-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    "The earliest conception of boxing-that it consisted of a system of tricks-is not dead yet in some quarters. I find that nearly every pupil who comes to me for first lessons is so impressed. The notion dies hard. A few months since the boxing master of one of the leading athletic clubs received a letter from the secretary of a country club asking him if he knew of a teacher who knew a hundred points whom he could recommend; "for," said the writer, "we have one who teaches sixty points, but should prefer one with more extended knowledge."

Sorry, going over people's heads is not allowed in this forum.

So you're really 24?

kung fu people obsess over empty hand effectiveness because they got humiliated by MMA. they invested into kung fu hobby to increase their self confidence. its all one ego stroking fantasy quest.
    There is nothing in this statement I can argue against.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

it's not in the forms

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Sometimes its hard to tell who's patience is being tested more, the student's or the teacher's.
    -N- , You right , I agree with you .

Blog Entries
    When you were young, the word "style" may mean a lot to you. Do you still care about it when you get older?

When you were young, the word "style" may mean a lot to you. Do you still care about it when you get older?
    Nope.

And I find that in most areas of my life.

Blog Entries
    In another forum there is a thread, "new interview with Tim Cartmell". Some people questions Tim's opinion about "internal" which is different today than what he had 20 years ago.

When you are 80 years old, if you still think the same way as when your were 20, you have never grown up.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.

It depends. For my own training, style is not important. But when I approach others I have judge their teaching given the context of their style. I wouldn't expect a boxing teacher to address ground wrestling, I wouldn't expect a kendo teacher to give me advice on kicks.

If you expect your TCMA style to give you all the answers, you'll either be disappointed or misled. However, TCMA is "cool" once you understand its context and limitations.

When I began MA I didn't care about style. All I knew about were judo, wrestling and karate. I wanted to learn how to fight.

Later, when I became aware of 'styles', style became important.

And later still, I realized that style doesn't matter. What matters is what you like and what works for *you*.