Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Archery

I read further. So, odds are the very best archers were outlaws. For all intent purpose illegal hunters like Robin Hood. Now, what weights do most hunters hunt with? What range do most hunters drop their prey at ? About 50lbs and 20 yards. I suspect the same then.

So, would you take men that can actually use their weapon effectively and not use them in positions that would benefit their attributes and tactics of elusiveness? As I stated long ago. Shooting up in the air at a distance is shooting? Or is aimed archery shooting? Which requires the greater skill? Standing back and being strong lobbing arrows or getting in close to take your shots and doing your best to escape after you dropped your targets and coming back around next opportunity? Which over all would be more effective? At Agincourt do to the conditions of the field. Hanging back worked great.

Funny I read others that said the shortbowman was the lowest soldier on the field. I doubted then and now we read those standback foot archers were basically that, yet, most believe in the legend because they read longbow oh, Those things are 50thousand pounds of pull and those guys were serious. When more than likely these guys used more 20-40 pounds over what they could be capable of using for hunting but aside from amount of cash they had they probably were not very good archers. But we can get them to shoot slightly heavier bows and land arrows along that line. The better archers got much closer. These were hunter/killers. SKILLED Outlaws. With differing levels of skill amound the professional soldiers who were archers and farmers who likely became the heavy longbow men with bows not as heavy as the pros on the Rose. Those guys probably show up and taught these Farmers tactics and technique.

Anyway, unlike Bawang I believe the best archers used much lighter weights at closer range. Things got twisted and weights got thrown around and everyone wants to believe the strongest.

Longbow does not always mean- 150lbs. It is a type of bow with heights and weights that VARIED! But people see 6ft+ and 110+ inside their minds eye. All of England bowmen common and pro somehow were the strongest archers ever. Simply a fallacy. And Id take a weaker skilled I can hit my target archer over a strong I can get it close to the target archer. Almost always he is the more needed archer.

I love to question myself, I do so constantly.

Nice long shot. I believe he uses a 80lb bow. Now compound so he gets mechanical assistance , holding is easier and sights. Still and amazing shot most guys should never attempt. Most guys better stay inside that 20 yards when hunting. But, a guy with great eyes and bow skill can make a much lighter bow absolutely lethal and become a terror. Again, look at Indian history. They eventually were defeated too.
    But I have no question even a 50lb bow can go through almost anything then at the right distance and arrow weight.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Oh we are going to use Historical Facts , because they are always correct and truthful to debate this. Okay. Then, the longbow was simply an impossible weapon to bring into combat for the simple matter that it took a lifetime to be able to use. That's your HISTORICAL FACT !

Go ahead and circle jerk that around your crew, dude !
    thats why the norweigian nerd doesnt deserve to be on tv. he hasnt had lifetime of practice to become master archer. its liek u going on tv documentary about karate.

Anyway, unlike Bawang I believe the best archers used much lighter weights at closer range.
    first you base entire opinion because lars shot chain mail (which is not designed to protect against stabbing) at point blank with a modern carbon arrow. second you seem to have no idea how to draw bows so u think trying to draw like jennifer lawrence form hunger games on a 90 lb war bow is impossible, which it is

you enjoy mentally jerking to a romantic image of a robin hood archer and you have severe reaction to differeing view especially when it refute your own view. this is because you think archery is a dead art so it is free for all for any sort of fantasizing navel gazing.
    Last edited by bawang; 02-24-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    thats why the norweigian nerd doesnt deserve to be on tv. he hasnt had lifetime of practice to become master archer. he literally trick shoot frisbee 3 inch from his face with 30 lb baby toy children bow. he shot thru chainmain because chainmail protect only against slashing attacks not stabbing and he prolly using modern high tech carbon arrows.

your problem trying to talk about archery is you have no idea how to draw a bow. you know literally nothing about archery. you think english longbow is impossible because you think of jennifer lawrence from hunger game.

once again you just jerking to ur own opinion. go to fantasy rpg forums for that sh1t
    Your just jealous.

Your just jealous.
    nah i dont enjoy going to andropause and being balding fat hillybilly, posting on a kung fu forum even though not training kung fu

And your right. The odds that a archer would ever confront anyone then, wearing chain, is just a ridiculace notion. And even if he did, that would be unfair advantage because everyone knows chain can only stop cuts. Dude, I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    nah i dont enjoy going to andropause and being balding fat hillybilly, posting on a kung fu forum even though not training kung fu
    LOL.

Bawang is hurt.

Poor Bawang, I am ruining his special posts. You not kung fu,hmm, You not Chinese, Hmm. You fat old man, hmm. I no like you. You part white or was it 1/10 th Indian blood. So you say. Maybe you not White. I just want to make funof people because I cant hold myself stead and you ruin that. You go made my friend leave, bad man you bad man,

LMFAO.

CHUMP!

i ruined ur archery fantasy circle jerk with historical facts

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I apologize. I had to slam some food. Us McFattyFats like to eat.

Actually you ruined nothing. But you can keep trying little buddy.

**** it. I lost another hair.

Hi Lucas.

Archers in general have that skeleton issue. Even Olympic archers that use less than 50lb bows. It could be consider similar to baseball players also having skeleton changes from throwing a ball. It does not show up in Soccer ( football for the offended) players. The ball is light. Weight is not the real issue of the malady. Doing a motion over and over and I assume one sided is the cause.
    Its not a malady. Its structural adaptation to mechanical usage. Its one way we can determine that these people did spend most of their lives doing exactly what you say they couldn't/wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Its not a malady. Its structural adaptation to mechanical usage. Its one way we can determine that these people did spend most of their lives doing exactly what you say they couldn't/wouldn't have.
    Hi. Okay, a structural adaption then ! Yes, I said that adaption happens even in guys that use lighter bows. Okay, aside from the Mary Rose can you list the other bones of archers found please ?

There's plenty but I haven't got time to dig up for you. Here's an article I found in about 2 mins of searching though (including link to original journal publication):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristina.../#1334871e38c0

which not only addresses this exact kind of physiological adaptation, but also states -

"This pattern of skeletal changes is even found in children from the cemetery, leading the authors to conclude that “some kind of [archery] training began during childhood.”

This type of lifelong training is well documented throughout human history and still occurs in some societies today.

Thanks.

I was hoping for English bowmen but I do appreciate that link. That will be found in todays archers too, even those that use lighter bows.