Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Archery

How to aim the bow

Here's another link you might be interested in. The blogger discusses various methods of aiming along with photo illustrations. I mostly just use instinctive and split vision to aim. One method this guy doesn't talk about is string walking but you can do a search on YT for that one. I have tried it and it works well for target practice, but string walking is a little to slow for hunting in my opinion.

http://charlesarcheryblog.wordpress....vision-aiming/

So just to get aquanted with my bow i've been doing some short and medium range target shooting daily. i dont really know what my method is because i havnt researched different aiming approaches. i decided to just take the bow and some arrows and start shooting and what ever feels right i'll build on that. unless i sucked so bad i couldnt hit a target then i would start seeking advice.

here is what i do.

lol

i knock my arrow, and sight my target. keeping my eye on my target i draw and raise my bow. right now my bow is verticle. i keep my eye on my target and let it fly. i would say its kind of like shooting a rifle from the hip. i started by seeing how i missed my target and made adjustments. my horizontal was on right from the start but i was shooting high. so i pretty much just feel it out and adjust myself accordingly based on my shot pattern.

so far its feeling pretty good and im hitting my targets for the most part. shooting a bow just feels really natural i wish i would have started years ago because it's a lot of fun.

going out this weekend to brush up/work on my woodsmanship and go stump shooting. because my ultimate goal is to hunt i want to spend a good portion of my target shooting in the woods, rather than ranges (although i plan to log a good deal of time in ranges as well), dealing with variables, and improving my overall ability to spend long hours tracking and working with terrain.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Oh, I almost forgot.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

so i read over that last link about aiming methods. it seems like im using instinctive shooting. i think i'll just keep doing what i'm doing it feels good. at first i tried aiming down the arrow and i just sucked, couldnt hit my target very well. then my buddy told me to just stare at the target, get it in my mind, then draw, hold for a moment to steady, then release. my aim improved dramatically after trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so i read over that last link about aiming methods. it seems like im using instinctive shooting. i think i'll just keep doing what i'm doing it feels good. at first i tried aiming down the arrow and i just sucked, couldnt hit my target very well. then my buddy told me to just stare at the target, get it in my mind, then draw, hold for a moment to steady, then release. my aim improved dramatically after trying that.
    You're right on the money. Instinctive is good for any level of shooter but especially when they are first learning. Try split vision next then work into gap aiming and you'll be holding 4" or less groups in no time. I may have missed this if you mentioned it but what kind of bow did you get?

Thanks for all the advice and info so far!

right now i just have a 40lb takedown longbow to learn with. not sure where i'll go from there. i would like to get a traditional native american longbow at some point, i'll contact a local tribe when im ready to buy..for this i'd like to meet the people making the bow for me. I'm interested in an english longbow and also really looking at eventually getting a korean hornbow.

is split vision when you look at the arrow and the target with both eyes open?

Thanks for all the advice and info so far!

right now i just have a 40lb takedown longbow to learn with. not sure where i'll go from there. i would like to get a traditional native american longbow at some point, i'll contact a local tribe when im ready to buy..for this i'd like to meet the people making the bow for me. I'm interested in an english longbow and also really looking at eventually getting a korean hornbow.
    Awesome! Have fun with it.

When you're ready and only if you want I could get you in contact with a really good bow maker from the Choctaw tribe. Might as well match it to your bloodline and this guy makes a hell of a good longbow. I believe he sells them for around $450.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    is split vision when you look at the arrow and the target with both eyes open?
    Personally I think with any projectile aiming, from bows to guns you should keep both eyes open and use your dominant eye to aim with. I'm sure you get how to do this since you are a hunter but I could go into more detail on that if you like.

Split vision is not far off from instinctive where you only focus on the target and don't see the bow or arrow. With split vision you are focusing on the target and are also aware of the arrow shaft but are not using reference points like in gap aiming or other aiming techniques. When you combine the three, instinctive, split and gap for different circumstances you get a very fast set of aiming tools. Of course, there are more aiming methods and each person has to find their own way but the three mentioned are what I like best.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 08-21-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Awesome! Have fun with it.

When you're ready and only if you want I could get you in contact with a really good bow maker from the Choctaw tribe. Might as well match it to your bloodline and this guy makes a hell of a good longbow. I believe he sells them for around $450.00.
    sweet. i believe i will likely take you up on that offer in the future when i am ready.

sweet. i believe i will likely take you up on that offer in the future when i am ready.
    Sounds good.

Saw this great movie last week "War of the Arrows" (Korean) and it is about a Qing raiding party who massacre of family of traitors (probably a sub group or clan of the Qing, who are now traditionally Korean) and when they kill the leader of the clan, his children escape. The father, a archer (before he dies) tells son to go to his kinsmen to be protected. He learn archery. Years later, the same Qing raiding party comes upon the house of the kinsmen and the rest is the story.

Very interesting since archery, use of bow, types of bows (albeit in a Hollywood fashion) strength of the bow, etc. The martial arts sequences are muted as they should, since armies did rely on spears, swords and archery as their major weapons. Of course, later came the cannon, in many shapes and ranges!

**** of 5 stars for concept, originality and historical reference.

That movie is pretty good. I think I should re-watch this one pretty soon.

we have an older thread about that one here.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ght=war+arrows

shot about 360ish arrows this weekend between stump shooting and target shooting. worked on several ranges, inclined, decline, walking, crouching, turning, rising. improved my aim a lot and found out, at least at this point, instinctive shooting is my game. I did work on the split vision a bit, but my success at hitting the target is lower...so far.

my best rounds of accuracy came when i didnt take too much time to aim, but rather after my last arrow release, nock, draw and release with relatively quick pace.

I learned two things. I need a good forearm guard, per the big ass bruise on my left arm (i did use an on the spot impromtu guard but it wasnt thick enough) and a good archery glove. I used a leather glove through out the weekend but i didnt like the way it fit the ends of my fingers, and i don't know if it was thick enough leather. I guess not really a need and more of a personal prefernce as im sure my fingers will callous just fine.

definitely addicted.

I have a question though:

Breathing.

It completely spaced my thought to look into this. So i did a bit of personal experimentation regarding breathing and shooting.

My best accuracy came when i began to breath in, halfway through my breath in, i drew my bow and finished my breath as my draw came to full, held both for a moment, then released the arrow then released my air.

I assume this is proper, in case I need to hold my shot longer i'll have more oxygen to work with, and my frame will be at full expansion.

Does that sound about right?

shot about 360ish arrows this weekend
    u need stronger bow. u must be shooting wit baby poosy bow.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC