Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Ideal

Kung Fu Ideal

What's your Kung Fu Ideal?

----
    What I mean is... to me, kung fu should be something like dirty boxing. Praying Mantis fits nicely into this framework for me. It should look and behave similarly to boxing with the addition of a some hand traps. Also, the du (hook) plays heavily into my idealized version of Praying Mantis kung fu.

The dirty boxing ideal (again - for me) helps integrate the chin na, traps, and takedowns that are found in the system in a realistic way.
    ---

So have you thought about what kung fu should look like for yourself? Do you have a kung fu ideal?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    What's your Kung Fu Ideal?

----
    What I mean is... to me, kung fu should be something like dirty boxing. Praying Mantis fits nicely into this framework for me. It should look and behave similarly to boxing with the addition of a some hand traps. Also, the du (hook) plays heavily into my idealized version of Praying Mantis kung fu.

The dirty boxing ideal (again - for me) helps integrate the chin na, traps, and takedowns that are found in the system in a realistic way.
    ---

So have you thought about what kung fu should look like for yourself? Do you have a kung fu ideal?
    I hit people, I hit them till they are no longer a threat and then I hit them some more, just to be sure.
    On occasion I may choke them out or break a limb, just because I feel like it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I hit people, I hit them till they are no longer a threat and then I hit them some more, just to be sure.
    On occasion I may choke them out or break a limb, just because I feel like it.
    You can learn that by watching the UFC and regularly fighting at bars. But what is it that you're striving for by participating in a TCMA?

You can learn that by watching the UFC and regularly fighting at bars. But what is it that you're striving for by participating in a TCMA?
    To do what I listed above, with STYLE !!

Quick. Clean. Efficient. For me, this is the ideal of martial art.

Kung Fu as a lifestyle is a totally different concept to me as I take it to mean the holistic development of a person including outside of their martial study. Just martial arts alone does not cut it for me as Kung Fu development.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm not sure that's the proper use of the term 'ideal'

At least, the course of this thread is going towards how to fight with Kung Fu, just like so many other thread here.

That being said, for me personally, it's about crazy weapons. I've always wanted to Jackie-Chan some one with an umbrella stand or a garbage can lid.

In the big picture (which as a publisher, is something I'm always looking at), Kung Fu is something for everyone. It's fighting for fighters. It's showboating for stunt people. It's wushu for kids. It's tai chi for the elderly. It's cosplay for cosplayers. It's even drunken for the drunkards. If the Kung Fu style doesn't fit, find another style.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That being said, for me personally, it's about crazy weapons. I've always wanted to Jackie-Chan some one with an umbrella stand or a garbage can lid.
    You need to cut me a crazy deal on a single, non-flimsy tigerhead sword. I don't need the twin set, and I don't want wushu tinfoil.

---

Yeah it's another kung fu for fight'n thread... er - well, what else should we talk about other than the ninjettes and cosplay hotties?

Maybe we should talk about the ninjettes, and cosplay hotties.

You need to cut me a crazy deal on a single, non-flimsy tigerhead sword. I don't need the twin set, and I don't want wushu tinfoil.

---

Yeah it's another kung fu for fight'n thread... er - well, what else should we talk about other than the ninjettes and cosplay hotties?

Maybe we should talk about the ninjettes, and cosplay hotties.
    There was a time I looked to kung fu for more than fighting and, at the time, it filled that need.
    No longer.
    To me, NOW, MA are about fighting and all that goes with it.

Tough to find a good *inexpensive* Tiger Hook nowadays

As China continues to rise as a world economy, so rises their prices. I've seen some nice expensive stuff, and of course, there's always antiques, but I don't anticipate any price drops in the near future. Makes you long for days of old, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    To me, NOW, MA are about fighting and all that goes with it.
    No cosplay in fighting. Unless you count ring girls.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As China continues to rise as a world economy, so rises their prices. I've seen some nice expensive stuff, and of course, there's always antiques, but I don't anticipate any price drops in the near future. Makes you long for days of old, yes?

No cosplay in fighting. Unless you count ring girls.
    I've found some stamped in combat steel... unfortunately they're not quite "right". The half-moon hand guard is too small, and they don't have the simulated edge on both sides of the blade. Plus the balance is way off. Not sure what's up with that. Used to be easier to find good ones.

Very true, re the Cosplay and you know I likes me a good cosplay !!

Blog Entries
    Also, the du (hook) plays heavily into my idealized version of Praying Mantis kung fu...
    By using "hook", you can pull yourself into your opponent and speed up the "clinch" process. This is why the praying mantis system can be the bridge between the striking world and the grappling world.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ntishands.jpg/

Without that "hook", the

- boxing coach won't be able to integrate throwing into his boxing.
    - Judo instructor won't be able to integrate striking into his Judo.

Such a simple idea is so powerful that many TCMA styles have ignored it. Without "hook", a punch is just a punch. With "hook", a punch is more than just a punch. The sooner that you can put that "hook" on your opponent's body, the sooner that you can turn a striking game into a grappling game.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-12-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Well, you know what they say...

All fighting and no cosplay makes sanjuro_ronin a dull boy.

I'm not sure wenshu is quite with the program here regarding cosplay, but that was a pretty cool vid.

As for the tiger hooks, the term 'combat steel' has no real meaning beyond marketing. It's similar to when foods are marked as 'natural ingredients'. We imply that 'combat steel' should mean that it is combat worthy, but it's really something that American martial arts vendors made up. There's no certification of quality, nor any specific criteria for standards. Tiger hooks are a particular problem as they are unusual weapons. Good luck on your quest to find some, MB.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    By using "hook", you can pull yourself into your opponent and speed up the "clinch" process. This is why the praying mantis system can be the bridge between the striking world and the grappling world.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ntishands.jpg/

Without that "hook", the

- boxing coach won't be able to integrate throwing into his boxing.
    - Judo instructor won't be able to integrate striking into his Judo.

Such a simple idea is so powerful that many TCMA styles have ignored it. Without "hook", a punch is just a punch. With "hook", a punch is more than just a punch. The sooner that you can put that "hook" on your opponent's body, the sooner that you can turn a striking game into a grappling game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9EHav8ZqAQ&t=1m10s