Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung Fu Ideal

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm not sure wenshu is quite with the program here regarding cosplay, but that was a pretty cool vid.
    cosplay? /dev/null

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    cosplay? /dev/null
    COStumePLAY.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

All fighting and no cosplay makes sanjuro_ronin a dull boy.

I'm not sure wenshu is quite with the program here regarding cosplay, but that was a pretty cool vid.

As for the tiger hooks, the term 'combat steel' has no real meaning beyond marketing. It's similar to when foods are marked as 'natural ingredients'. We imply that 'combat steel' should mean that it is combat worthy, but it's really something that American martial arts vendors made up. There's no certification of quality, nor any specific criteria for standards. Tiger hooks are a particular problem as they are unusual weapons. Good luck on your quest to find some, MB.
    Actually Tiger Claw's seem to be all right visually. I'm not going to be hacking any zombies or engaging in ritualistic duels, I just can't have them be wushu flexible. They need to be rigid and somewhat evenly balanced. Are the TC brand tiger hooks fairly rigid?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    cosplay? /dev/null

nice graphic wenshu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Are the TC brand tiger hooks fairly rigid?
    They are pretty light. Almost wushu light, but not quite that light. Keep in mind that I have three very heavy pairs, so my standard for light vs. heavy is skewed.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

They are pretty light. Almost wushu light, but not quite that light. Keep in mind that I have three very heavy pairs, so my standard for light vs. heavy is skewed.
    Good to know. I'll probably split the cost with a friend of mine since we'll both need to practice outside of class and TC's looks good enough for practice. Using a single hook sword is kind of a rarity, but I find it to be a much more "martial" form than the double.

My ideal kung fu allows me to dance around in my pajamas chi blasting the $hit out of everyone I do not like or agree with!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Hope it works out for you two.

And in keeping with our cosplay theme...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

As China continues to rise as a world economy, so rises their prices. I've seen some nice expensive stuff, and of course, there's always
    Sorry for the topic drift but...

Not sure how much is has to do with China's rise as with the dollar's fall. The Chinese yuan has been worth a lot more for a long time. It was only PRC govt. policy that kept the exchange rate artifically pegged at 8.3 to the dollar. Since they started letting it move naturally on the market, in just 4 or 5 years it's moved to about 6.1 to the dollar and Chinese monetary policy has still been artificially limiting the speed at which the exchange rate changes. Point being, the "real" exchange rate, unimpeded by specific policies was, according to a lot of articles I read back when the change from set exchange rate to free(er) market rates was being contemplated, the "natural" rate even back then was said to be somewhere between 4 and 6 to the dollar.

So just plain falling dollars and euros have caused an increase in Chinese product prices of about 25% even without China needing to ask more for it's products.

On the other hand, since I get payed in Chinese yuan over here, my effective student loan payments have dropped significantly.

Am I doing it right?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

It's all about the drift, omar....

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Sorry for the topic drift but...
    That's a good point. My comment is an oversimplification. The bottom line is that no one can import martial arts gear out of China at the prices we had a decade ago. It's also worthy of note that this affects the entire martial arts market. Beyond CMA gear, China also manufactures the bulk of MA gear for all styles, including MMA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

Am I doing it right?
    No.
    You are wing chunning the internet.
    Stop it !