Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Legend 黃飛鴻

Rise of the Legend 黃飛鴻

Edko to reboot Wong Fei-hung franchise
    By Kevin Ma
    Wed, 07 August 2013, 20:45 PM (HKT)

Bill KONG 江志強's Edko Films Ltd 安樂影片有限公司 is rebooting the long-running Wong Fei-hung franchise with Rise of the Legend 黃飛鴻. News of the project first appeared today on the China government's latest list of approved film projects.

Christine TO 杜緻朗, who co-wrote martial arts films Fearless 霍元甲 (2006) and True Legend 蘇乞兒 (2009), is listed as the scriptwriter. The short official synopsis implies that the story will be about a younger incarnation of the character.

Wong Fei-hung (or Huang Feihong) was a real-life martial artist and physician who lived in Guangdong Province in the late Qing Dynasty. He is better known in Chinese culture as a folk hero who has been immortalised in over one hundred films.

The character has been portrayed on screen by KWAN Tak-hing 關德興, Jackie CHAN 成龍 and both Jet LI 李連杰 (pictured) and Vincent ZHAO 趙文卓 in TSUI Hark 徐克's Once Upon a Time in China 黃飛鴻 (1991) series.

The film is listed as a China-Hong Kong co-production between BDI Films Inc 北京數字印象文化傳播有限公司, Edko Films and Irresistible Delta Ltd 萬誘引力丁有限公司.
    Just one small missing detail...who is playing Wong?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Just one small missing detail...who is playing Wong?
    Keanu Reeves

RZA if Keanu's unavailable.

Good one MB.

But some additional info on this link as possible candidates....

http://www.cityonfire.com/rise-of-th...to-the-screen/
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

While I'm glad there's new KF projects in the works, I'm finding it a bit difficult to get very excited about the possible casting choices in China/HK films. These days, there isn't much of a pool of new talent to draw from at all. Mostly wushu athletes or pop idols (or non-MA actors).

However, if they do choose a wushu athlete, the best for the role, IMO, would be Fan Siu-Wong. Even though he must be at least 40 now, he still looks very young. He also has very good charisma and could pull off southern style onscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    While I'm glad there's new KF projects in the works, I'm finding it a bit difficult to get very excited about the possible casting choices in China/HK films. These days, there isn't much of a pool of new talent to draw from at all. Mostly wushu athletes or pop idols (or non-MA actors).

However, if they do choose a wushu athlete, the best for the role, IMO, would be Fan Siu-Wong. Even though he must be at least 40 now, he still looks very young. He also has very good charisma and could pull off southern style onscreen.
    40's NOT OLD!!!

I know. I'm 50, but most people think I'm around 32-35. But the film is supposedly about Wong Fei-Hong's younger years, and believe it or not, 40 is usually considered "old" for actors in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I know. I'm 50, but most people think I'm around 32-35. But the film is supposedly about Wong Fei-Hong's younger years, and believe it or not, 40 is usually considered "old" for actors in Asia.
    Keep telling yourself that Jimbo...40 is considered old for actors here as well but it is customary to get your first botox injection and a new set of tits at this age.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Keep telling yourself that Jimbo...40 is considered old for actors here as well but it is customary to get your first botox injection and a new set of tits at this age.
    It's my Japanese/Ainu genes that keep me looking younger...and lifestyle. Don't need no stinkin' Botox. Plus, I'm a dude...

The age thing is a bigger deal in many types of Asian cinema, especially HK. In the West, although youth still rules, there is still a good market for people out of their 20s and 30s. And Japanese cinema was also known to revere many older, more experienced actors. I'm willing to bet that the old-school KF stars of the past have a much bigger appreciation/fan base outside of,than within, HK/Taiwan/China, etc.

more info

Still no word on who will play Wong Fei Hung. That's the key piece here.
    Hong Kong's Edko Films Unveils Kung-Fu Project 'Rise of the Legend'
    5:53 AM PDT 8/19/2013 by Karen Chu

Bill Kong, president of Hong Kong-based Edko Films
    Produced by regional super producer Bill Kong, the film will revive the beloved local story of martial arts master Wong Fei-hung and star Sammo Hung as the kung fu figure's mentor.

HONG KONG – Edko Films, Irresistible Delta and BDI Films have announced new joint project Rise of the Legend, a fresh take on the life stories of the legendary martial arts master Wong Fei-hung.

Produced by Bill Kong, Liu Erdong, and Ivy Ho, the film reunites the producers with the director-writer team of Chow Hin-yeung (Nightfall, Murderer) and Christine To (Fearless). Principle photography starts on Aug. 20 in China.

While the actor playing the lead role of Wong Fei-hung is not yet unannounced, the film will star Sammo Hung (Ip Man 2) as the kung fu master's mentor, as well as Jing Boran (The Bullet Vanishes), and martial arts champion-turned-actor Zhang Jin (The Grandmaster).

Corey Yuen (X-Men) will serve as action director, Ng Man-ching (Chinese Zodiac) as director of photography, and Pater Wong (The Warlords) as production designer.

"For Chinese-language movie, only kung fu movie works internationally. But a real kung fu movie is a rare occasion these days, which Is why I want to pay tribute to this genre," said Kong, who produced kung fu classics such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, and Fearless, in a statement. Kong's Cold War, produced with Matthew Tang and Ho, was the highest grossing Chinese-language film in Hong Kong in 2012, and took nine Hong Kong Film Awards including Best Film and Best Director subsequently.

The stories of Wong Fei-hung featured in not less than 100 films in the 1950s in Hong Kong, and was later revived by Tsui Hark in his internationally acclaimed Once Upon a Time in China series, starring Jet Li, in the 1990s.

Rise of the Legend is set for release in the second half of 2014.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu might have been better

Eddie Peng? And now the KFM media forum collectively asks....who?

August 22, 2013, 7:06 AM
    Can This Man Fill Jet Li’s Shoes?

By Dean Napolitano

Eddie Peng, right, will take on the role in the upcoming film ‘Rise of the Legend.’

Eddie Peng has some big shoes to fill.

In “Rise of the Legend,” the Taiwanese actor will star as martial artist Wong Fei-hung, a role made famous by two of Hong Kong’s biggest kung-fu stars: Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

The filmmakers said they are looking to reinvent the character with a “bold new spin.”

Wong, a real-life martial-arts master from China’s Guangdong province who came to prominence during the late Qing dynasty, has been popularized over the decades in numerous films and television series.

Many movie-goers best know the character as a role that helped catapult Jet Li to international stardom in a series of films that began in 1991 with “Once Upon a Time in China.” Even before that, Jackie Chan famously played Wong in his star-making 1978 hit “Drunken Master.”

Their portrayals of Wong, each in their distinct big-screen styles, are etched in the minds of kung-fu fans around the world, and it remains to be seen whether they’ll be receptive to a new vision, which director Roy Chow has promised.

“It’s been almost 20 years since the last Wong Fei-hung movie was made,” Mr. Chow said in a statement. “I aim to portray the legendary character from a different angle — a young man with dream. His dream is the only thing that holds him together. His youth gives him the power of persistence and endurance, and shapes him to become a legend.”

But can Mr. Peng pull it off?

The 31-year-old actor isn’t known as a martial-arts star, but he has a few things working for him.

Over the past few years, Mr. Peng has established himself as an accomplished physical performer. In his latest film, “Unbeatable,” which opened last week around Asia, Mr. Peng plays a novice boxer competing against mixed-martial artists in big-money tournaments.

Mr. Peng went through months of grueling training, telling the Journal in a recent interview that his boxing background helped prepare him tackle the role.

He also took on gymnastics for his role in 2011’s “Jump Ashin!”

Second, he’s a known quantity as a romantic leading man following the recent comedy-dramas “Love” and “A Wedding Invitation.”

The film also stands to gain a huge stamp of credibility from the presence of martial-arts star Sammo Hung, who plays Wong’s mentor in the film, and action director Corey Yuen, who has collaborated with Jet Li on several high-profile movies.

Finally, the producing team is led by Bill Kong, the man behind “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” — which, more than 12 years after its release, remains the gold standard for globally successfully Chinese films — and last year’s hit “Cold War,” which also starred Mr. Peng.

All that doesn’t guarantee a hit movie, but it stands a fighting chance. And audiences will find out next year when “Rise of the Legend” is scheduled for release.
    Here is the Unbeatable thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Angelababy!

I liked Angelababy in TC0 & TCH.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I have have to give it to Angelababy (Yang Ying 楊穎) who I've just discovered has the same birthday as me. She reminds me of Morena Baccarin with her luxuriously long neck and unusual beauty. She stole the show.
    Eddie Peng to play Wong Fei-hung in new film
    (CRI Online) 15:03, August 22, 2013

Actor Eddie Peng and actress Angelababy pose for a photo while promoting the film "Rise of the Legend" in Wuzhen in eastern China's Zhejiang Province on Tuesday, August 20, 2013.

Taiwan actor Eddie Peng, who is set to take on the role of martial-arts legend Wong Fei-hung in a new film, says he is not afraid to be compared with previous actors, including Jet Li.

The film "Rise of the Legend" is the latest film on Wong Fei-hung (1847-1924), who has inspired over 100 films and TV works since the 1940s. The best-known are director Tsui Hark's 1990s series "Once Upon a Time in China" starring Jet Li.

"Jet Li's version is classic. I never thought about playing the role better; I only think about playing it my way," Peng told reporters on Tuesday, while attending a press junket held to announce the start of filming in Wuzhen of eastern China's Zhejiang Province.

To prepare for the role, Peng practiced 10 hours of martial arts every day. "Actually I'm keen on learning martial arts. My teacher often tells me that my long legs and arms are a natural gift for learning martial arts," said the 6-feet-tall actor.

Peng proved his talent in action roles with the successes of the films "Unbeatable", in which he plays a boxer, and "Jump Ashin!" in which he portrays a gymnast.

He was nominated for Best Actor for his role in "Jump Ashin!" at the 2011 Taiwan Golden Horse Awards.

In "Rise of the Legend", Peng will star alongside Jing Boran, Sammo Hung and Angelababy.

The film is being directed by Chow Hin-yeung, who says the film will focus on Wong Fei-hung's early years. "I aim to portray the legendary character from a different angle - a young man with a dream. His dream is the only thing that holds him together," the director was quoted by Variety.com as saying.

"Rise of the Legend" is slated for release in the second half of 2014.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Byron Mann

And again, the KFM media forum collectively asks....who?

Mann, Peng and Angelababy Join ‘Legend’
    September 3, 2013 | 08:39AM PT
    Wong Fei-hung revival takes on rising stars
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

HONG KONG — Fast-rising stars Eddie Peng and Angelababy and Asian-American star Byron Mann have joined the cast of martial arts actioner “Rise of a Legend.”

A big-budget kung fu movie, “Legend” attempts to revive Wong Fei-hung, one of the iconic old names of the Chinese action genre, but who has been absent from the big screen for some 20 years.

“Legend” is produced by Bill Kong, Ivy Ho and Liu Erdong, through their Edko Films, Irresistible Delta and BDI companies. Chow Hin-yeung, discovered with Edko’s “Murderer” and Edko and Irresistible’s “Nightfall,” directs.

Mann recently starred in cop thriller “Cold War,” also produced by Kong and Ho, and in Universal’s “The Man With The Iron Fists.” He also co-starred in the US series, “Arrow,” which is one of the highest rating US TV shows in China.

Taiwan-born Peng starred in Chinese hit “Wedding Invitation” and as a muscled-up fighter in Dante Lam’s “Unbeatable.”

A favorite of the Chinese-language gossip pages, Angelababy last year starred with Peng in the “Tai Chi Zero” and “Tai Chi Hero” fantasy action pair. She next appears in Tsui Hark’s “Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon.”

With shooting now underway, the film also includes the previously announced martial arts veteran Sammo Hung, mainland Chinese teen heartthrob Jing Boran and martial arts champion Zhang Jin.
    ENDSS
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First look

Eddie Peng’s “Rise of the Legend” Captures International Attention
    By Joanna on April 8, 2014

Rise of the Legend <黃飛鴻之英雄有夢>, which stars Taiwanese actor Eddie Peng (彭于晏) as martial arts legend Wong Fei Hung (黃飛鴻), recently released a two-minute sneak peek, giving viewers their first look at the movie’s action shots. Since being featured at FILMART and at last year’s American Film Market conference, Rise of the Legend has attracted interest from all sorts of audiences, including potential overseas buyers.

The two-minute sneak peek of Rise of the Legend was first unveiled at a recent national cinema promotional event held in Fuzhou, where fans also glimpsed an exciting new poster of Eddie as the titular character. In the poster, Eddie is clothed in a sleeveless shirt, showing off his well-toned arms. Mingled on his chest are blood and rain, while behind him stands a crowd of menacing thugs armed with knives.

Participants at the event expressed their approval of the action scenes in Rise of the Legend, an opinion shared by many overseas audiences. At the 2013 American Film Market conference, Rise of the Legend drew much attention because of the shortage in international kung fu films. Buyers from the United States, Europe, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia expressed interest, and in some cases, businesses from the same region even fought over the copyright.

For executive producer William Kong (江志强), the positive response to Rise of the Legend is proof that he made the right decision to film an adaptation of the life of Wong Fei Hung. As head of Edko Films, Kong is no stranger to the wuxia genre, having backed well-known films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon <臥虎藏龍>, Hero <英雄>, House of Flying Daggers <十面埋伏>, and Curse of the Golden Flower <滿城盡帶黃金甲>. However, he feels that there has recently been a lack in kung fu stars and films – a situation that he hopes to remedy with Rise of the Legend.

Rise of the Legend, which is directed by Roy Chow (周顯揚), is “very rough and very violent,” according to Kong. Nevertheless, he believes that the movie can use modern methods to tell the classic story of a national hero and produce a kung fu film that belongs to this era.

Apart from Eddie, Rise of the Legend also features Sammo Hung (洪金寳), Wang Luodan (王珞丹), and Angelababy (楊穎). The film is expected to be released at the end of 2014.

Source: QQ.com
    Follow the QQ.com link above for a news report. Haven't found the sneak yet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Picked up by Universal

Universal Partners With Hong Kong's Edko for Kung Fu Film 'Rise of the Legend'
    3:43 AM PDT 6/12/2014 by Stuart Kemp

Getty
    Bill Kong

The film marks the return to the screen of martial arts master Wong Fei Hung.

Universal Pictures International is partnering with Edko Films and Irresistible Films to co-produce and distribute Chinese kung-fu action film Rise of the Legend, which is set to bring martial arts icon Wong Fei Hung back to the big screen.

UPI, through its division Universal Pictures International Production (UPIP), is co-producing the film, and Universal Pictures International has acquired all rights in international territories, including North America (but excluding Asia), to the production, directed by Roy Chow and starring Peng Yuyan in the title role.

Rise of the Legend will be distributed and marketed in Asia by Edko Films and internationally by Universal Pictures International.

Bill Kong, head of Edko Films and producer of the film, said: "We collaborated with Universal back in 2006 and achieved optimal results."

Kong and Universal previously partnered with the studio for Fearless, starring Jet Li, which screened in more than 1,800 theaters and ranked second place in its opening weekend, grossing more than $32.5 milllion (RMB200 million) at the box office during its run.

"We think Western audiences will respond to Rise of the Legend just as strongly as they did to Fearless," Kong said.

Hugh Simon of Irresistible Films promised the movie will employ new technologies "to thrill the audiences."

Universal Pictures International’s president of distribution, Duncan Clark, added: "In China, the exponential growth in the local market presents great opportunities and Universal is committed to working with emerging and established partners to bring fresh and exciting projects to local audiences."

Currently in postproduction, the actioner is co-produced by Edko Films, Irresistible Films, Universal Pictures International, vfxNova Digital Productions, and BDI Films.

Chow directs from a screenplay written by his longtime collaborator, Christine To.

Also starring in the film are Sammo Hung, Wang Luodan, Jing Boran, Wong Cho Lam, Zhang Jin, with special appearances by Tony Leung Ka-fai and Angelababy.

The film is set for release this year.
    Wonder if this means there will be a U.S. theatrical release...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

Byron Mann: Wasn't he from Crying Freeman? I think he played the Crying Freeman's handler. He did perform well in that incredible Yakuza scene.

Edit: Yes He IZZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1JN3QBpkC0

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 06-16-2014 at 05:57 PM.