Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you agree with the following statement?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    "A five minute round in the ring or on the mats will often teach you more about yourself than a lifetime of solo forms or cooperative, non full-contact training.”

The way that I look at this is you have to

- "develop" your skill from partner drill.
    - "test" your skill from sparring/wrestling.

If you have never trained "hip throw", you can wrestle for the rest of your life, you still won't be able to apply "hip throw" in wrestling.

Your thought?
    Verdad que si! That is the truth.
    When you are doing this slow stuff without an 'enemy' you imagine yourself invincible but when you get hit, you start to crap your draws because you worshipped BS and were unwilling to adapt or understand how to train.

So from my personal experience, trying to use sparring/wrestling to "develop" techniques may have some limitation. If your opponent is too

- strong, you won't be able to fully develop your offense skill.
    - weak, you won't be able to fully develop your defense skill.
    To be honest I think you just poorly trained the guy. I help train as an assistant coach boxers including pros and I have visited trained at and seen some top coaches and it doesn't work like that. Good trainers have a sparring progression that helps you put things together for yourself. We talk about defense and offense but they are not really two separate things but merge together to make it all work. Your defense sets up your offense which acts as a defense and so on. Without a defense you have no offense and without an offense no defense.

"A five minute round in the ring or on the mats will often teach you more about yourself than a lifetime of solo forms or cooperative, non full-contact training.”

Your thought?

Yes, I agree 100%
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Agree for the most part.

I feel that some people disagree because they think that the lessons of a 3/5/etc min round will end after the last bell rings. Based on my experience, if you go against a competent opponent, you're going to at least experience some difficulty somewhere at some point, and you'll be thinking about those moments long after the round ends, if not for the rest of your life. There's a bittersweet feeling to laying in bed to go to sleep at night while thinking about why you feel the aches you're feeling after some harder contact sparring.

Its the great endless cycle
    1. Train a technique(s)
    2. Test yourself more realistically
    3. Analyze your "test results"
    4. Train more based on "test results"
    5. Test new training results
    6. (and so on)
    7. Profit
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Agree for the most part.

I feel that some people disagree because they think that the lessons of a 3/5/etc min round will end after the last bell rings. Based on my experience, if you go against a competent opponent, you're going to at least experience some difficulty somewhere at some point, and you'll be thinking about those moments long after the round ends, if not for the rest of your life. There's a bittersweet feeling to laying in bed to go to sleep at night while thinking about why you feel the aches you're feeling after some harder contact sparring.

1. Train a technique(s)
    6. (and so on)
    7. Profit
    Nice cycle.
    I would only add that, since we ARE MA and not "just" sport fighters, this means we may have to deal with a skill set OUTSIDE the one we train daily, so I think we should also "cross test" our skills VS other skill sets whenever possible.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    To be honest I think you just poorly trained the guy.
    In that 8 months, there were no "training" at all. All we did was sparring. We didn't even train jab, cross, roundhouse kick, side kick, hip throw, single leg, ... all those basic tools. That was what he wanted. That was what he was willing to pay for.

That was my point, without "training" and with only "sparring", there will be some limitation. Both extremes won't work well. We have to find the middle point. That pretty much apply to everything in our life.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post

1. Train a technique(s)
    6. (and so on)
    7. Profit
    I'll add:

- train the counters of that techniques.
    - train the counters of those counters of that techniques.

If you can put yourself on the other side, you can see your technique much more clearly.

For example, most of the throws will require body spinning. But if your opponent can spin with you, he can drag you all the way down to the ground effortless. So how will you prevent this from happening? You have to modify your technique and make sure when you spin, you are safe. What modification will you need? The TCMA will get more and more interest from here on.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.

A five minute round will show you what level your conditioning is at which will clue you into how you should modify your training.

Will you close up like a turtle going into its shell because you're so tired and afraid of being hit?

Will you grab the other person's gi, not attempt any throws, and just hang on for dear life when exhausted?

Will you start looking away or down or even close your eyes when tired?

Will you b!tch like a little princess and claim your partner broke the rules because you are so frustrated from losing?

Will you start coaching your opponent mid-match to try to make yourself look good when on reality you're losing?

Will you have a panic attack/sh!t fit like a friend of mine who didnt want to spar on one particular day? She didnt want to spar but the teacher made her go light because that's what they did at the end of class. Her partner/friend hit her a few times which caused her to start crying, gasping for air, and have intense rage. She thought she was having an asthma attack but it didnt end when she used her inhaler. Later on she figured out it wasn't asthma because of the intense anger she felt in the moment. She literally lost her sh!t and caused everyone to panic and worry about her.

You focus on the yin/yang aspect and train te opposite then watch to see if what you were doing improved next time out.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Nice cycle.
    I would only add that, since we ARE MA and not "just" sport fighters, this means we may have to deal with a skill set OUTSIDE the one we train daily, so I think we should also "cross test" our skills VS other skill sets whenever possible.
    truth. that's actually a very important point you bring up. With so many ways to fight, nothing would be more discouraging than being skilled in one method and then getting obliterated by sheer surprise because of the lack of knowledge of what's out there.

I'll add:

- train the counters of that techniques.
    - train the counters of those counters of that techniques.

If you can put yourself on the other side, you can see your technique much more clearly.

For example, most of the throws will require body spinning. But if your opponent can spin with you, he can drag you all the way down to the ground effortless. So how will you prevent this from happening? You have to modify your technique and make sure when you spin, you are safe. What modification will you need? The TCMA will get more and more interest from here on.
    indeed, another very good point since thinking about what happened in a round is never enough and has to be followed up with the necessary training. Also interesting because you brought it a step forward with "training the counters of the counters" and so on. Now you mention that, I realize I dont spend enough time thinking of and training counters to counters. For me, the actual exchange of attacks is a short process that keeps resetting and repeating till the fight is done. It's not necessarily bad way of thinking, but it reminds me of a bad habit i had being a no0b boxer, which was, I went in with 1-2 combos only, even when I landed my shots and could've gone on and kinda "stopped." Meanwhile my opponents would knock my head back and hook to my body and go on till he was owning me in a corner or i was down

lol, starting now I'm going to be extra aware/alert in my sparring of whether or not I'm not attacking or countering when i should be.
    Last edited by EternalSpring; 08-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you only train "hook punch" and "dodge under a hook punch", the following 2 situations will never happen.

- You throw a hook punch.
    - Your opponent dodges under it.
    - When his head comes out the other side, your use your elbow to strike on the side of his head.

- You throw a hook punch.
    - Your opponent dodges under it. He uses his hand to press on your elbow to prevent your elbow strike.
    - When his head comes out the other side, your use your other hand to remove his elbow blocking hand, and still use your elbow to strike on the side of his head.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.